10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

Death Star will hit $800 this Christmas.  But I don't see it being that desirable to resell.  It's a huge box and will be expensive to ship.  That and the fact that you'll have a lot of scammers trying to get ahold of them through ebay.  

On a related note:  I see that Amazon has sold out on The Final Duel.  I think this will be a popular set this Christmas and may be difficult to get ahold of.  Might make for a good quick flip this year and long term I think its a good investment.  A lot of current AFOLs grew up with Return of the Jedi and this scene ranks as a favorite.

Edited by Mathew

Sorry, but those that are saying "yeah, I got DS's for around 200" but fail to mention they were using a lot of reward points doesn't really count.  You had to spend a few thousand to get that price point using your points.  I've had to spend over a few grand to use discount VIP points to land a SW exclusive.  But, I won't blazingly state 'yeah, I got a SW exclusive for 30.00", even though I did because I used the points.   I had to spend money to get that discount.  To rookies on this site, that read these things, they are going to be VERY mislead when things like this are brazenly stated...

Ok, i'll admit the B&N discount where a bunch of adults were signing up multiple fake kid accounts to get death stars did make a score.  But that was a legit store discount deal, that was taken advantage of almost nefariously.  Many of these people blazingly admitted to signing up multiple fake accounts, which breaks their store policy.  To me this was basically like scamming the system and many of those were obtained mostly unethically.  I'm talking simply using ethical means to obtain Death Stars legitimately when real store discounts occurred.  Using points doesn't count, because that's not a common discount available to anyone at any time.  So while some might have got 200 DS you had to spend a lot (and many times well more than what a DS will land you in profit) to achieve it at that price.  Ghostdad is right on this one, that discount deal on DS wasn't always available and hasn't been available in a long time.  

• Like 2

Sorry, but those that are saying "yeah, I got DS's for around 200" but fail to mention they were using a lot of reward points doesn't really count.  You had to spend a few thousand to get that price point using your points.  I've had to spend over a few grand to use discount VIP points to land a SW exclusive.  But, I won't blazingly state 'yeah, I got a SW exclusive for 30.00", even though I did because I used the points.   I had to spend money to get that discount.  To rookies on this site, that read these things, they are going to be VERY mislead when things like this are brazenly stated...

Ok, i'll admit the B&N discount where a bunch of adults were signing up multiple fake kid accounts to get death stars did make a score.  But that was a legit store discount deal, that was taken advantage of almost nefariously.  Many of these people blazingly admitted to signing up multiple fake accounts, which breaks their store policy.  To me this was basically like scamming the system and many of those were obtained mostly unethically.  I'm talking simply using ethical means to obtain Death Stars legitimately when real store discounts occurred.  Using points doesn't count, because that's not a common discount available to anyone at any time.  So while some might have got 200 DS you had to spend a lot (and many times well more than what a DS will land you in profit) to achieve it at that price.  Ghostdad is right on this one, that discount deal on DS wasn't always available and hasn't been available in a long time.  

Ethics belongs in the long forgotten ethics thread in my opinion.

Now off to find some more death stars.

I disagree trek, what good would it be if only those lacking ethics, and using nefarious means are promoted??  Like, Ed said, their affiliates frown on that behavior.  So it's obviously a legitimate point that some rules and standards are followed.  Obviously collectibles has a big investment potential in the aftermarket.  Lego fits that business model, since they create collectibles and retire sets, and yes ethical means can be used to make money in this market.  Not everyone has to be a lowlife.

• Like 2

I disagree trek, what good would it be if only those lacking ethics, and using nefarious means are promoted??  Like, Ed said, their affiliates frown on that behavior.  So it's obviously a legitimate point that some rules and standards are followed.  Obviously collectibles has a big investment potential in the aftermarket.  Lego fits that business model, since they create collectibles and retire sets, and yes ethical means can be used to make money in this market.  Not everyone has to be a lowlife.

I'm not trying to get into the ethics debate seriously.

Just last year ethics got drug into a lot of discussion that soured the threads and so they moved over to an ethics thread.

I am not saying don't debate it I am just saying I hope this thread can be focused on the death star more than the pros and cons of ethics surrounding it.

But I am not a mod, and no one has to do what I say, its just an observational feeling carry on.

They mention Brickpicker....also say that the resellers are the ones that bought them all up.

I have no Death Stars...so when I watch this video I pretty much focus on those SDCC Exclusive Funko's in the background.  Is that Rocket with Potted Groot?  Why, yes it is.

Good luck to all that have held this set for a while (and those that just bought it too).  Hope it does well!

Please drop the ethics debate... Go back and read the other threads if you want. Ed specifically states his position and posts like these are silly at best and inflammatory at worst. Sorry if you don't like it, but they don't belong here and are subject to deletion. I just can't delete them from my phone or I would.
  • Like 2

Please drop the ethics debate... Go back and read the other threads if you want. Ed specifically states his position and posts like these are silly at best and inflammatory at worst. Sorry if you don't like it, but they don't belong here and are subject to deletion. I just can't delete them from my phone or I would.

Save it.  You just don't like intelligent debate.  I've seen this from you many times.  It's ok though and I get it - you dictate the law as sheriff. So ill drop it.  Regardless carry on with the millions to be made on death stars.

Edited by fossilrock

I'm wondering if Brick Show really has inside info on retirements...  Their official prediction, as of a video they posted last summer, is DS retirement in January of 2016.  July 2015 seems a bit on the early side for that to count as an accurate retirement call.