10188 - UCS: Death Star

duckyruiz

You may fire when ready.  

776 members have voted

1. 1. How many sealed Death Stars do you own?

• 1 - 2
    • 3 - 4
    • 5 - 9
    • 10 - 15
    • 16 - 20
    • 21 - 25
    • 26 - 50+
  2. 2. Do you believe the set will make a great investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  3. 3. Will it ever retire?

• Sure, soon as I fire my Photon Torpedo.
    • Nope, I'll be dead before that happens.
    • Perhaps, when Hell freezes over.

you really should care my friend 

One thing I credit this site for is explaining to me how those credit card/drop shipping scams work, and how to recognize them.  It's bad news when your lego sets arrive as 'gifts' courtesy of someone with a completely different name and address from the seller.

• Like 1

One thing I credit this site for is explaining to me how those credit card/drop shipping scams work, and how to recognize them.  It's bad news when your lego sets arrive as 'gifts' courtesy of someone with a completely different name and address from the seller.

for the new folks, this is a must read. Great blog from a member whose insight is missed on the forums as of late  : http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/brickvesting/want-to-know-who-lego-drop-shipping-scams-negatively-affect-its-everyone/

• Like 4

Save it.  You just don't like intelligent debate.  I've seen this from you many times.  It's ok though and I get it - you dictate the law as sheriff. So ill drop it.  Regardless carry on with the millions to be made on death stars.

Let's all just get along here. There is a whole Ethics thread if someone wants to renew this topic. As you can see, people are already mixing it up and we are only a couple posts into it. It's a very difficult topic and I am not taking sides. There are points to be made for both sides, but I don't want to bog down this thread with coupon manipulation topics. Please, feel free to discuss it in the other thread. But unfortunately, the conversations about these sorts of topics never end in a civil manner.

Let's all just get along here. There is a whole Ethics thread if someone wants to renew this topic. As you can see, people are already mixing it up and we are only a couple posts into it. It's a very difficult topic and I am not taking sides. There are points to be made for both sides, but I don't want to bog down this thread with coupon manipulation topics. Please, feel free to discuss it in the other thread. But unfortunately, the conversations about these sorts of topics never end in a civil manner.

I'm waiting for him to tell you to eff off just like he did to a MOD who posted the same request.

I'm wondering if Brick Show really has inside info on retirements...  Their official prediction, as of a video they posted last summer, is DS retirement in January of 2016.  July 2015 seems a bit on the early side for that to count as an accurate retirement call.

There is no set retirement date I believe, just a date when production stops. Sets may last for months and months after production stops. As you can see, resellers are now affecting how long sets are on the primary market.
  • Like 1

There is no set retirement date I believe, just a date when production stops. Sets may last for months and months after production stops. As you can see, resellers are now affecting how long sets are on the primary market.

I think 3 people know - The Brick Show, Ed Mack and Duke - and the strongest sources says Duke he ain't talking. lol.

I'm already regretting that I didn't buy a few more...anyone else having second thoughts? Hopefully F5 will sell a few to me...it will be very competitive tho.

I have several thoughts to this.

I was at a goal of 10, bought 6 more, worried about it each time I bought 2 more.  I am not worried at all now.
It could spike re appear for a while one or more places it may not.
But I feel confident it is winding down.

I can also say I am ecstatic about Red Five all the concerns about the new Poe's X Wing blowing it out of the water were completely unfounded.
That x wing is nice but it does not look substantial.  It looks like it has been on a diet.
Good things for Red Five especially if it goes.  Makes me want to get more.

• Like 3

This is a great day for all of our members, regardless of whether or not people invested in Death Stars or not.

Absolutely. I have exactly zero Death Stars by choice (except for the one in our personal collection). Since it seems this set is finally on it's way out, I am sure it will start to rise as expected, but several factors kept me away from investing in it. The high price point, the weight, the storage required, the looooooong retail shelf life with no end in sight, the potential for being scammed since it will sell at a premium, and the fact that it's more of a play set than a collectors item to be put on display. I felt there were several other exclusives that were safer plays for investing in so that's the route I took. That being said, like Ed mentioned, this is a great day for everyone who enjoys the gamble of investing in Lego, and I wish you all the best of luck. I'll have a lot of fun watching this one from the sidelines!

• Like 9

I think if it will pop up at any large retailer, it will be at $500 except for possibly Walmart or TRU. They just aren't very smart. You can basically write TRU off because some dude with a bot has been buying these from them whenever it pops up for the past year. 

Amazon and Target have been matching each other and Amazon has already set their last few sets at the $500 price.

Absolutely. I have exactly zero Death Stars by choice (except for the one in our personal collection). Since it seems this set is finally on it's way out, I am sure it will start to rise as expected, but several factors kept me away from investing in it. The high price point, the weight, the storage required, the looooooong retail shelf life with no end in sight, the potential for being scammed since it will sell at a premium, and the fact that it's more of a play set than a collectors item to be put on display. I felt there were several other exclusives that were safer plays for investing in so that's the route I took. That being said, like Ed mentioned, this is a great day for everyone who enjoys the gamble of investing in Lego, and I wish you all the best of luck. I'll have a lot of fun watching this one from the sidelines!

Class act sir, you are

• Like 3

It really is important it stays away for good now.

Otherwise some people will be very disappointed here. And it is no picknick if you have to stay on water and bread for a few months due to a false alarm.

Here in Europe it is still available. Waiting for some more confirmations before I will start doing some shopping.

for the new folks, this is a must read. Great blog from a member whose insight is missed on the forums as of late  : http://community.brickpicker.com/blog/brickvesting/want-to-know-who-lego-drop-shipping-scams-negatively-affect-its-everyone/

Thank you sir. I just received two sets today (from eBay) which were clearly drop-shipped. I've already contacted the sellers. Now comes the waiting. I'll open a case on the 20th if not resolved by then. 

It's the first time I've received such clearly drop-shipped items, so the timing was good. Cheers!

Edited by biking_tiger

I think if it will pop up at any large retailer, it will be at $500 except for possibly Walmart or TRU. They just aren't very smart. You can basically write TRU off because some dude with a bot has been buying these from them whenever it pops up for the past year. 

Amazon and Target have been matching each other and Amazon has already set their last few sets at the $500 price.

Amz sold out that price of 500 from other sellers on amz

I'm already regretting that I didn't buy a few more...anyone else having second thoughts? Hopefully F5 will sell a few to me...it will be very competitive tho.

go console yourself with (8 Ecto's)x how many death stars you were going to buy.

there now - don't you feel better?

I predict DS will be the LEGO set that gets Amazon crankpot parents the most PI$$ED this holiday season :angry: - kudos to u fatman etc.

• Like 2

Just remember how it was with SSD.

DS could come out of "sold out" on LEGO Shop at Home July 30

Amazon could suddenly have a few in August.

TRU could find a few pallets with seal codes from 2011

• Like 2

on the subject of using rewards and claiming you got the set at a discount, lets say $250, this is absolutely how it should be done for accounting purposes. when irs asks you how much you paid and you say i paid $250 in cash and $150 in rewards it means you paid $250 and get taxed on the difference. the folks doing it the other way are doing it wrong, but do as you will.

Just remember how it was with SSD.

DS could come out of "sold out" on LEGO Shop at Home July 30

Amazon could suddenly have a few in August.

TRU could find a few pallets with seal codes from 2011

or 2008 with smooth leia :)

Edited by jerryherb
  • Like 1