Bricktober Mini Modulars - 2014

KShine

Recommend this be discussed further in the ethics thread where one without blame can throw the first stone

"Hi, Toys 'R' Us.  I'd like to take out a 90 day, interest-free, risk-free loan.  Sure, I'll give you collateral, but there's a good chance I'll be taking some of it back.  Possibly all, we'll see.  It all depends on if I can make a profit on the inventory you've agreed to loan me."

I am just commenting on how I feel about this M.O.  If my comment may only be made in the ethics thread, then I apologize and would like a moderator to remove my posts.

Saw an Ebay listing where a guy sold 10 complete sets yesterday for $999.. So whatever it took to compile 10 complete sets gas wise and time, minus ebay fees and shipping costs. He maybe made $100 for who knows how much effort and time.

A comment like this dosnt make sense. You have no idea what one paid for them. I got 7 of mine for free.... Without purchasing a thing. Some I did purchase. I used points and gift cards. Many got these with purchase of actually doing promo. Your assuming people paid 20.00 for all of theirs which just isn't the case.
  • Like 2

A comment like this dosnt make sense. You have no idea what one paid for them. I got 7 of mine for free.... Without purchasing a thing. Some I did purchase. I used points and gift cards. Many got these with purchase of actually doing promo. Your assuming people paid 20.00 for all of theirs which just isn't the case.

I know most people didn't pay $20. They came with the $75 purchase so you either spent $500+ before coupons to get 7 of them or knew somebody at the store who gave you a special deal.  Driving to multiple stores and paying fees, shipping, and taxes will whittle that $140 or less down to $100 or less. Alot of people are working really hard to flip LEGO short term for less than minimum wage.

• Like 1

"Hi, Toys 'R' Us.  I'd like to take out a 90 day, interest-free, risk-free loan.  Sure, I'll give you collateral, but there's a good chance I'll be taking some of it back.  Possibly all, we'll see.  It all depends on if I can make a profit on the inventory you've agreed to loan me."

I am just commenting on how I feel about this M.O.  If my comment may only be made in the ethics thread, then I apologize and would like a moderator to remove my posts.

You have a fair point and I did not mean offense there have just been some people over the top in commenting and pointing fingers and most of it has moved to the ethics thread so it does not divert from the product discussion.  Not saying your point can't be made here and move on but the long winded discussions its preferable not to derail the thread.  Personally, while I try hard, I know I am not blameless and I do not know the situation of others...and try not to judge but that is just me and I am not saying my way is the right way.

Nothing is for free unless you are stealing them and even that has a price.

Not saying your point can't be made here and move on but the long winded discussions its preferable not to derail the thread. 

Understood, I will post in the ethics thread from now on.  My comments in this thread may be deleted so that the thread may stay on topic.  Thank you

Sorry if my post about returning offended you. If it were a mom and pop I wouldn't ever dream if doing it. At TRU where they gouge you on everything from gum to Lego I don't think twice about it. Daily Bugle is $39.99 most places now. TRU is $66.99. Enough said.

OK, I hope you are done.

Should I go back and clean out the others?

According to your Brickfolio, you have over 500 sets.  This isn't a question I'd expect from someone with such a large inventory.  At this point, I would think you'd know how to make your own purchasing decisions.  You know your financial situation, you know how much effort it takes to sell the product, and you know what you're comfortable buying.  I doubt anyone else reading the thread knows these things better than yourself.  I'd go with your instincts on this one.

• Like 1

According to your Brickfolio, you have over 500 sets.  This isn't a question I'd expect from someone with such a large inventory.  At this point, I would think you'd know how to make your own purchasing decisions.  You know your financial situation, you know how much effort it takes to sell the product, and you know what you're comfortable buying.  I doubt anyone else reading the thread knows these things better than yourself.  I'd go with your instincts on this one.

Just because he has lots of sets that doesn't mean he knows a lot about these promos like some of us like raven, me, and a few others. With that being said yes I recommend you getting the rest. They might not be quick flips though. I plan on holding onto mine for a year. People are always going to need single ones to complete their sets. Also I might be able to help trade with you. If anyone is finding theaters or pizza that's really good as they are long gone in most places. I'm buying them for 25$ each on eBay just to get more of those. I think a complete set is best but I have tons of singles as well. I don't think it's a bad idea. I also think there is a flood of sets etc right now on eBay but once it all dries up then I plan on listing some. My only slight hesitation would be is that if you buy them now from the store it costs you 20$+tax compared to about 15.50$ each before

I know most people didn't pay $20. They came with the $75 purchase so you either spent $500+ before coupons to get 7 of them or knew somebody at the store who gave you a special deal.  Driving to multiple stores and paying fees, shipping, and taxes will whittle that $140 or less down to $100 or less. Alot of people are working really hard to flip LEGO short term for less than minimum wage.

You could buy them at the end of each week for about 15.50$ each by buying 4 getting 1 free and pumpkin poly free with purchase and whatever discounts you have with you debit/credit card. With that being said though I can't see a reason why anyone would sell 10 sets for 1k. Maybe some of the posters that were saying these sets would be worth 60$ by end of oct lol! Maybe they are selling them that cheap. Or someone that stole them or bought them with stolen credit card or found a better money making oppurtunity and is liquidating to jump on a different deal or wife left him and he needs hotel money. Who knows

With that being said though I can't see a reason why anyone would sell 10 sets for 1k.

I can't understand why someone would want to pay $100 for a set of these, let alone $1000 for 10.  Perhaps people just don't know that they can spend a little more for set 10230.

He was just asking advice.  No matter how many sets you own there's nothing wrong with that.  You could also see from his Brickfolio that 40% of hit sets are SW so that is probably his specialty and might not be as confident about this product.  

Anyways I would not buy incomplete sets at the full retail price they are now.  It was different when you could build a set for $68.50 after tax or were getting a discount off of your other items.   I wound up short on a few pieces of the set and I did buy those at retail+ but that was different as I felt the sale is much easier to sell as a set.  So getting 30+ of 1 piece I needed made sense to pay retail as it would enable me $3000+ more in easy sales.  

As for comparing the 2 mini modular sets its not really a comparison.  One was in regular production for years and didn't do well until clearanced before it took off and the other was only available for a month and possibly in limited quantities compared to the other (although we'll never know that for sure either).

This set also has 2 new pieces that weren't in the previous one and use some more colors and elements.  

How many pieces, colors, and elements does 10230 have that these do not?  More than a few.

I know everyone's opinion is different and that many prefer the Bricktober sets over 10230, but $100 is a lot of cash for what you get.  Even with the limited release window and numbers, it's way too much.  But amazingly, people are paying. 

Speaking of TRU that change their mind I was short on pizza and I just went to my local try that happened to find 20 more pizza and a few town halls so I bought it all except a few as a Chinese kid was smooshing series 12 minifigs was right there and was asking me why I was buying them and he didnt know the promo he's just here on vacation so I left some so he grabbed some to buy as well. I needed more pizza so it worked out well. Apparently the lady aid they were told to hold them by corporate but said a customer came in and was screaming he couldn't buy a few (fellow BPer? Lol) so they said it wasn't worth the bs of people asking why they couldn't sell them so they put them back on the shelf 2 days ago

How many pieces, colors, and elements does 10230 have that these do not?  More than a few.

I know everyone's opinion is different and that many prefer the Bricktober sets over 10230, but $100 is a lot of cash for what you get.  Even with the limited release window and numbers, it's way too much.  But amazingly, people are paying.

People pay more for a limited promotional item. Like others said the 10230 was clearanced and wasn't a hot seller and still isn't. Although after seeing the 10230 I like it more as a collectors piece then the bricktober sets. I buy the bricktober sets to flip a few and hold a lot for next year to see if they do the promotion again

Like others said the 10230 was clearanced and wasn't a hot seller and still isn't.

I know it was discounted to $63.99 on LEGO Shop at Home and still took a while to sell out.  As for now, the CAGR on it is 35%.  I'd say it's doing just fine.

Another limited promotion head-scratcher is 40109.  I don't even think it says Mini Cooper anywhere on the polybag.  Still, people are paying $20 for it.