Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

i changed shipping service from UPS to FedEx this year due to reliability issue of driver picking up the packages.  The other day I missed the cutoff to request Fedex pickup so I had to drop them off at the Fedex store.  As I was driving off I saw the driver loading the boxes into the truck by throwing them like they were footballs.  These were 20 + lb boxes full of merchandise...@#$@!#$@$%^.  I can't win. I better start buying the premium boxes to minimize damages.

6 minutes ago, joch29 said:

As I was driving off I saw the driver loading the boxes into the truck by throwing them like they were footballs.  These were 20 + lb boxes full of merchandise...@#$@!#$@$%^.  I can't win. I better start buying the premium boxes to minimize damages.

I wondered if it was worth the extra $2 per large box to go with the heavy duty ones?  I haven't done that yet because I've had very few damaged item claims sending stuff in the standard boxes for FBA.  I assume the product box condition is adequate for most buyers once it gets through UPS, the Amazon warehouse, then out to the end customer.  Though when I think of the dollar value of the products in those boxes, the couple extra dollars per shipment may be well worth it.

9 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I’ve been double-boxing most of my smalls this year to prevent the envelope crushing nonsense. Crossing my fingers I have fewer returns this year.

I haven't done that yet, but I'm thinking I should start.  Do you have to do anything special with the individual box other than seal it and place the FBA barcode on the outside of that box? 

8 minutes ago, zskid00 said:

I haven't done that yet, but I'm thinking I should start.  Do you have to do anything special with the individual box other than seal it and place the FBA barcode on the outside of that box? 

I put a piece of tape over the FBA sticker and then slap a couple Sold As A Set - Do Not Separate stickers on it.

• Like 1

Got an FBM order to Alaska last night, expedited shipping. Amazon puts that at arrive by Wednesday and charged buyer $10 for shipping. My cheapest shipping quote is $40 to arrive by Thursday. $110 item. If I eat the shipping will amazon still take commission on $110 or will they take off the shipping before taking their cut?

I messaged the buyer and said I couldn't guarantee arrival before xmas. Hoping for a cancel. My metrics can absorb it if I have to cancel although I may just suck it up. My buy in was $50 on the set. 

40 minutes ago, marcandre said:

If I eat the shipping will amazon still take commission on $110 or will they take off the shipping before taking their cut?

Amazon's fee isn't changed by the seller's actual shipping cost.  It's based on the sale price and the category.  

And, I think the USPS cut off for Christmas delivery is Dec 20th this year.  Should be plenty of time still.

Personally, I'd hope for a cancellation but probably eat the cost.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SpaceFan9 said:

Amazon's fee isn't changed by the seller's actual shipping cost.  It's based on the sale price and the category.  

And, I think the USPS cut off for Christmas delivery is Dec 20th this year.  Should be plenty of time still.

Personally, I'd hope for a cancellation but probably eat the cost.

Thanks. Yea I'll send it out Monday morning unless buyer lets me off the hook. 

I have been selling on eBay for 8+ years and I thought I have seen everything.  But FBA sellers are something else.  I have never seen race to the bottom this vicious before. 
This is the FBA version of clearance. I've already made my money for the year so am just trying to dump what's left so I don't have to take it back.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I have been selling on eBay for 8+ years and I thought I have seen everything.  But FBA sellers are something else.  I have never seen race to the bottom this vicious before.  :P

Agreed. I think in part it’s the stupid out of control train algorithm that sets it for one penny less than the next seller and it steam rolls. Also people are off loading before they are charged storage fees

59 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

I have been selling on eBay for 8+ years and I thought I have seen everything.  But FBA sellers are something else.  I have never seen race to the bottom this vicious before.  :P

Dumbasses who send in 300+ of a SKU , thinking people will wait them out and then it is a drop to the bottom. 

56 minutes ago, redcell said:

This is the FBA version of clearance. I've already made my money for the year so am just trying to dump what's left so I don't have to take it back.

amen to that , though this weekend has been terribly good to me 

1 hour ago, redcell said:

Yeah I was expecting selloff on Friday, not today

1 hour ago, Jackson said:

For which items?

Lemme dump my 50 before answering ;)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Not LEGO related, but I think Amazon's acronym should become a BP acronym too:

Amazon is rethinking its strategy around some items it sells which it calls internally "Can't realize a profit" -- or "CRaP" for short, according to the Wall Street Journal. From the report: Inside Amazon, the items are known as CRaP, short for "Can't Realize a Profit." Think bottled beverages or snack foods. The products tend to be priced at $15 or less, are sold directly by Amazon, and are heavy or bulky and therefore costly to ship -- characteristics that make for thin or nonexistent margins.

• Like 1

A package got lost and did not arrive. It was shipped UPS. What can I do at this point?

I also recieved this message:  "Reason: Where's My Stuff ? Details: The item has not arrived as scheduled. Please send a status update to the customer as the sender you guys are responsible for issueing the refund." 

Is that true?

1 minute ago, JosephMali said:

A package got lost and did not arrive. It was shipped UPS. What can I do at this point?

I also recieved this message:  "Reason: Where's My Stuff ? Details: The item has not arrived as scheduled. Please send a status update to the customer as the sender you guys are responsible for issueing the refund." 

Is that true?

FBA or FBM order? What does the tracking information say?