Selling Lego on Amazon.com

Deeker

Not LEGO, but an FBA question all the same. Sold a Hot-Wheels car using FBA a while back, but as Amazon was prepping the order they must have damaged it, because the sale dropped from my list and the item appeared as Unfulfillable - Warehouse Damaged. 

Yesterday I received a reimbursement below cost, and significantly below the sale proceeds. Since this is a HotWheels car, we're talking cents here, no big money, but I still opened up a case to have them reconsider the reimbursement amount to be more in line with the revenue I would have had had it not been damaged by Amazon.

They responded today asking for official distributor Purchase Orders showing my buy-in cost. Of course I have none.

Given the amount involved I think I am going to just tell them I don't have those and they can close the case - but before I do, any suggestions on other steps I can take?

Those are all fair points. I think this sort of stuff is more rare here in polite Canada and I’ve already had his feedback removed and Amazon take my side. I’m in no mood to spend a penny on this clown until I receive the set back or Amazon tells me to do something. I’ve survived a previous A to Z claim and the fraudster ended up with the set and the money despite written agreement to send me the item back so I’m not going down that road again if I can help it. I’m actually sort of curious to see where this goes now. The cost of the set was pretty small so I’m inclined to let him sit on it rather than spend money getting it back. 

20 minutes ago, jeff_14 said:

Those are all fair points. I think this sort of stuff is more rare here in polite Canada and I’ve already had his feedback removed and Amazon take my side. I’m in no mood to spend a penny on this clown until I receive the set back or Amazon tells me to do something. I’ve survived a previous A to Z claim and the fraudster ended up with the set and the money despite written agreement to send me the item back so I’m not going down that road again if I can help it. I’m actually sort of curious to see where this goes now. The cost of the set was pretty small so I’m inclined to let him sit on it rather than spend money getting it back. 

Shortly after posting this my reasonable Canadian brain came up with the idea of issuing a $20 refund with the "return shipping concession" reason chosen. This should cover the cost of return and I stated I would refund the rest upon receipt of the set. I don't know if this is something different in Canada vs the US but there is no prepaid label option in the Amazon Canada settings, etc. that I have found and I don't know how I would obtain one. How would I even know what the cost will be since I don't know the dimensions of whatever box he might use? Any time in the past that someone has wanted to return something I have stated I would refund the amount upon receipt and never had a problem. The fact that the refund process includes a return shipping choice tells me I am being above board here.

1 hour ago, jeff_14 said:

Here’s the response I received last night from dumbass. I reported it to Amazon and marked it “no response needed” since I already sent the label as per Amazon policy. What an idiot.

YOU SEND ME A LABEL WHERE I AM RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RETURN SHIPPING WHEN YOU SENT ME DEFECTIVE/DAMAGED GOODS?? YOU MUST BE KIDDING ME? I AM ONCE AGAIN REQUESTING A 'PRE-PAID' LABEL EITHER THROUGH CANADA POST, UPS, OR FEDEX FOR THE RETURN IMMEDIATELY OR I WILL BE CALLING AMAZON TO REPORT YOU ONCE AGAIN. STOP WASTING MY TIME. NO I WON'T REMOVE MY COMMENTS, IN FACT, IF YOU DON'T CORRECT THIS IMMEDIATELY I WILL ADD ANOTHER NEGATIVE COMMENT. THE BOX WAS DAMAGED IN MANY WAYS, IT WASN'T JUST THE STICKERS . IN ADDITION YOU PACK THE BOX WITH USED GROCERY BAGS AS FILLING??? ARE YOU KIDDING ME????

I will use plastic grocery bags for Ebay orders, but I would not recommend doing that for Amazon orders regardless of whether this dude scammed you or not.  I have always tried to make Amazon orders look very professional and use brand new boxes and packing paper or air pillows in the order. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cobrakai said:

I will use plastic grocery bags for Ebay orders, but I would not recommend doing that for Amazon orders regardless of whether this dude scammed you or not.  I have always tried to make Amazon orders look very professional and use brand new boxes and packing paper or air pillows in the order. 

I thought the same thing. If I ordered something from Amazon and it came with grocery bags as packing, my first inclination would be it's a terribly run business. Then, if there was some thing wrong with the product, it would make me more upset.

I'm a piddly Ebay seller and think grocery bags are meant for the trash, not for re-selling.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, cobrakai said:

not a fan of grocery bags as filling in any situation quite honestly.  just doesn't look professional not to mention sanitary?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Darth_Raichu said:

The only advantage eBay has over Amazon is their block bidder list.  Wouldn't you want Amazon to implement that feature right about now??? :drag:

For sure. That was my wife’s first suggestion. I’ll remember the name and if I see it again I’ll decline and let Amazon know why. 

On 11/23/2018 at 2:16 PM, pete411 said:

Does anyone have the wherewithal to fix the listing for Santa's Workshop? The main listing currently does not show up in search as it's listed as a split listing with the Winter Toy Shop. 

I tried fixing it. The Amazon case log was forever long and after a month of explaining my case...I gave up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Emvisawthatswho said:

Looks like Harry Potter BRICKTOBER listing back up and running.

I edited the listing in my account and typed in Lego for the brand name.  There seems to be a lot of issues with listings this year when a brand like "Lego" is in the listing title, but not shown as the brand name.  I've had the same thing happen with other branded listings like Barbie, etc and once I edit the listing and entered "Barbie" as the brand name, the listing was back.

California Will Enforce Economic Nexus Requirements in 2019

Beginning April 2019, California will enforce economic nexus requirements.

Out-of-state retailers with $100,000 in sales or 200 transactions in California during the 2018 tax year will need to collect and remit use tax to the state. In addition, these retailers also will be required to collect and remit use tax to local jurisdictions.

The new collection requirement will apply to taxable sales of tangible personal property to California consumers on and after April 1, 2019, and is not retroactive. Retailers reaching either of the above sales thresholds are now required to register with the CDTFA to collect the California use tax even if they were not previously required to register. These retailers include retailers that sell tangible goods for delivery into California through the Internet, mail-order catalogs, telephone, or any other means.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

California Will Enforce Economic Nexus Requirements in 2019

Beginning April 2019, California will enforce economic nexus requirements.

Out-of-state retailers with $100,000 in sales or 200 transactions in California during the 2018 tax year will need to collect and remit use tax to the state. In addition, these retailers also will be required to collect and remit use tax to local jurisdictions.

The new collection requirement will apply to taxable sales of tangible personal property to California consumers on and after April 1, 2019, and is not retroactive. Retailers reaching either of the above sales thresholds are now required to register with the CDTFA to collect the California use tax even if they were not previously required to register. These retailers include retailers that sell tangible goods for delivery into California through the Internet, mail-order catalogs, telephone, or any other means.

I don't think I will be signing up for this. According to the CDTFA we already have a nexus because we have inventory stored in CA fulfillment centers. Didn't register for that. Hopefully sanity will prevail and they will pass a law for marketplaces to collect for CA. With 50 different tax jurisdictions it is going to be a nightmare unless you shell out for some spendy tax software.  The internet sales tax in this country is a complete joke. Glad I will be retiring at the end of 2019.

• Like 1

With the "arrives after Christmas" posted on listings and "arrives before Christmas" in green on all Amazon listings this Christmas selling season looks like it is over. It is any better for FBA? This has been up for a few days now. I know Amazon is trying to protect themselves, but putting this up so early seems more like a scheme to funnel buyers to stuff sold by Amazon.

With the "arrives after Christmas" posted on listings and "arrives before Christmas" in green on all Amazon listings this Christmas selling season looks like it is over. It is any better for FBA? This has been up for a few days now. I know Amazon is trying to protect themselves, but putting this up so early seems more like a scheme to funnel buyers to stuff sold by Amazon.

FBA is great for in stock items, meaning they are available and not in FC transfer status. 1st year doing FBA and can’t be happier. eBay on the other hand has been extremely disappointing. Last year I’d sell 10–12 items per day on eBay. This year, so far, maybe 1. Sometimes 0 sales.
Going to go pro on FBA after the New Year, once the post Christmas sales start to slow and everyone has burned their gift cards.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

Not the sharpest tool in the shed. Even without the gift card angle, surely all the complaining customers would lead back to his area soon. Take from the shelves dude, not the ordered items. 

11 hours ago, asharerin said:

I don't think I will be signing up for this. According to the CDTFA we already have a nexus because we have inventory stored in CA fulfillment centers. Didn't register for that. Hopefully sanity will prevail and they will pass a law for marketplaces to collect for CA. With 50 different tax jurisdictions it is going to be a nightmare unless you shell out for some spendy tax software.  The internet sales tax in this country is a complete joke. Glad I will be retiring at the end of 2019.

This is also the state that requires you to put a warning sticker on anything sold since everything may cause cancer

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JosephMali said:

I've found one way to counter this is to state a 'last day for christmas orders is ...' date on your "about seller" page.  Multiple years I've done this, and will get order up until that date.  Last year, one customer messaged me to ask "I know yesterday was your last day for christmas orders, but can you make an exception?"  Turned out she was within a 4 hr drive, so it arrived in plenty of time.  Wont help with hurried shoppers, but if you have unique items listed I find it helps a lot.

But yes, I agree that Amazon puts up the AAC sign for FBM orders way too early.

4 hours ago, JosephMali said:

This year there are big big delays for the USPS and UPS. My local post office has a 2 day backlog just to get packages from there to the local distribution facility. That means any package you drop off will sit at the post office for 2 days prior to getting scanned and then moving. They are refusing to scan upon acceptance. Never been like this before. UPS is also missing delivery dates by 2-3 days. We have a ton of of FBA refunds for missed delivery date and even more for wrong items sent. This year Amazon has dropped the ball big time but to be honest they have gone downhill for most of 2018 and the busy time of year is just compounding and highlighting their fulfillment issues. I am thinking some major tweaking is going to have to occur on the platform and Bezos needs to purchase more jets and take UPS, FEDEX and USPS completely out of the equation.

1 hour ago, asharerin said:

This year there are big big delays for the USPS and UPS. My local post office has a 2 day backlog just to get packages from there to the local distribution facility. That means any package you drop off will sit at the post office for 2 days prior to getting scanned and then moving. They are refusing to scan upon acceptance. Never been like this before. UPS is also missing delivery dates by 2-3 days. We have a ton of of FBA refunds for missed delivery date and even more for wrong items sent. This year Amazon has dropped the ball big time but to be honest they have gone downhill for most of 2018 and the busy time of year is just compounding and highlighting their fulfillment issues. I am thinking some major tweaking is going to have to occur on the platform and Bezos needs to purchase more jets and take UPS, FEDEX and USPS completely out of the equation.

i had  last year where my local post office was 2-3 days to process like you had this year but the one 10 minutes away was same day .Sometimes it might be worth looking into alternate post offices -they can even be on your way to work etc.  Even within the same district different post offices have different backlogs