10225 - UCS: R2-D2

Ed Mack

you might find one or two crazy uncles in Europe willing to pay that price and if you do, be sure to sell them everything else you have!

My problem with this one is that is is STILL available in random places now at full RRP, meaning neither the horde nor general buyers are that interested. Ebay is limited to 250-270 for actual sales and those advertised at 350 are not moving.

Yes, the movies and series will help but it´s not a spaceship and there are no minifigs so the collector demand versus hoarded sets is much lower than Red 5 or even EV.

• Like 1

When I went to the R2 and other droids exhibit at Star Wars celebration in Anaheim, there were tons of kids as well as adults excited about r2d2.  However, I think future buyers due to the price points will not be kids asking their parents to buy R2 but serious adult collectors buying R2 so not having any figs in the set is okay.

Well, minifigs are like crack  to some collectors and I would argue that there are more minifig obsessed collectors than ucs displays of non spaceships. I am interested to see how the new medium sized SW figures are received as this could be a new line of investment.

Well, minifigs are like crack  to some collectors and I would argue that there are more minifig obsessed collectors than ucs displays of non spaceships. I am interested to see how the new medium sized SW figures are received as this could be a new line of investment.

​I don't think they'll be received very well by collectors, but kids will like them.

​The "Constraction" STAR WARS figures should be very popular with both children and collectors.  It will be like Bionicles on steroids in my opinion.  For example, the recent 4529 Iron Man has done exceptionally well and is a possible indicator of future values of these types of action figure LEGO sets.

Edited by Ed Mack

​The "Constraction" STAR WARS figures should be very popular with both children and collectors.  It will be like Bionicles on steroids in my opinion.  For example, the recent 4529 Iron Man has done exceptionally well and is a possible indicator of future values of these types of action figure LEGO sets.

​Well... Hulk, Batman and the Joker did not do so well in the same series. So what does that tell us?

Guest TabbyBoy

​I made a killing on the 4529 Iron Man last year when I bought 100 of them at £8 a pop in one go from The Entertainer.  I offloaded the lot apart from one within 3 months of purchase.  BTW... Hulk, Batman and Captain America also did well but, the peak selling window was smaller.  Green Lantern and Joker bombed but, their time may still come.

​Well... Hulk, Batman and the Joker did not do so well in the same series. So what does that tell us?

​Tells me you have to examine those numbers better before asking that question...

SET CAGR%
4529 Iron Man69.76
4597 Captain America 39.35
4530 Hulk25.44
4528 Batman32.25
4527 Joker 15.54

Considering all of these sets were available at a large discount (33% or more off), the CAGR values are even higher.  These are very solid investment choices and the new STAR WARS sets will do even better in my opinion...

Edited by Ed Mack

​Why?  They are excellent low cost LEGO investments and very cool sets.

​Some act as though the Bionicle/Hero Factory themes were the plague. I guess the sets and pieces used therein are beyond the norm far as what a LEGO typically is or has always been considered to be but then again so are all the Technic sets really which basically are what Bionicle evolved from with Hero Factory continuing such a process even further. With Bionicle making a return, the unique line and its ideas will keep moving onward which currently resides in the form of these Star Wars "Battle Figures".

Their B-Wingish low sales on lego shop  EU would seem to indicate that a lot of people are avoiding them like the plague (compare and contrast with Mixel sales). Probably because they lack Mixel cuteness and seem to be just a random assembly of Technic bits and bobs stuck together.

A lot of them also seem to be job lotted as bulk weight base sales on ebay. Perhaps it´s a Europe thing - maybe we just don´t get the theme here.

​Tells me you have to examine those numbers better before asking that question...

SET CAGR%
4529 Iron Man69.76
4597 Captain America 39.35
4530 Hulk25.44
4528 Batman32.25
4527 Joker 15.54

Considering all of these sets were available at a large discount (33% or more off), the CAGR values are even higher.  These are very solid investment choices and the new STAR WARS sets will do even better in my opinion...

​I did examine the numbers. That is why I say the others did not do so well as Iron Man. If you average the CAGR of all sets combined it is better to use as prediction for the new sets coming. 

The way I see it. Darth Vader is the best bet to become the next Iron Man CAGR-wise or even better.

​I did examine the numbers. That is why I say the others did not do so well as Iron Man. If you average the CAGR of all sets combined it is better to use as prediction for the new sets coming. 

The way I see it. Darth Vader is the best bet to become the next Iron Man CAGR-wise or even better.

The  CAGR average for all 6 Superhero Constraction sets is over 30%, putting them near the top of the CAGR index, which basically proves my point they are very solid investments. 

The  CAGR average for all 6 Superhero Constraction sets is over 30%, putting them near the top of the CAGR index, which basically proves my point they are very solid investments. 

​The overwhelming consensus of investors seemed to be that they were garbage - so not many invested much.

It is not going to happen again. 

• Like 1

​The overwhelming consensus of investors seemed to be that they were garbage - so not many invested much.

It is not going to happen again. 

​Maybe so.  Many people still ignore anything that looks like a Bionicle or Constraction set.  Maybe they need to look at what their kids like to play with.  :derisive:

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Don't you remember this is a set that was highly inferior not design properly and tons of other problems with it that I was lampooned about regularly last year?

Yes exciter I can be the one ROFL now.  Ha Ha Ha. :)

$750 by Christmas.

​Watch out, those bricks hurt, especially on your back.

• Like 2