387 members have voted

1. 1. ignore.

• ignore
    • Ignore
  2. 2. Have you built 76023 The Tumbler?

• Yes
    • No

37 minutes ago, conceptmachine said:

Seems like this one many bought early, so it was good on them.

Remember at SAH when it sold out under VIP in no time flat?! Resellers were raking in the dough last winter. Since then it's been clogging the shelves!!  

For the most part it's been stocked by those who wanted them.  I usually don't wait until the last minute to buy a load.  Eventually they all will retire so buy when funds allow, that way sales are spread out.   I always say the earlier the better, but realize not all want/can to do it this way.  I know it sounds like a broken record, but if everyone did it this way I truly believe we'd see things retire quicker.  Bottom line is we make a bigger difference than you think.

With 76052 in full production and due to hit the shelves late Feb I think we are doing TLG a huge favor clearing this one out prior to that. I don't believe any amount of panic buying is going to bring back 76023. Dark Knight is not groovy enough to hang with this pair:

bm.jpg

Edited by asharerin
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2015 at 11:16 AM, asharerin said:

With 76052 in full production and due to hit the shelves late Feb I think we are doing TLG a huge favor clearing this one out prior to that. I don't believe any amount of panic buying is going to bring back 76023. Dark Knight is not groovy enough to hang with this pair:

There is no going back when LEGO announces "Retiring Soon."  It might take a little longer in the US, but LEGO is moving on to other projects I believe.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Enduro said:

Thanks for the info regarding retirement. I'm more collector than investor but I always try to pick up 3-4 extra sets if I think it may do well post-retirement.  After seeing this I immedately ordered one from LEGO Shop at Home....learned my lesson from the TH.

You sound like an investor to me. :cool:

• Like 5

If it was such a bad seller, why has SAH always had it pegged at max 1 or 2? On the other hand, its price was reduced in some SAH´s earlier this year. If the price of production and tyres was so high, whu launch cheaper sets using the same tyres just when this one is announced as retiring?

There is a lot of contradiction with this set but maybe the most logical explanation is they want to clear the shelves for the new movie as they have done with OT SW items.

Should we now be more bearish about EV and SC retirement?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

There is a lot of contradiction with this set but maybe the most logical explanation is they want to clear the shelves for the new movie as they have done with OT SW items.

Personally I think that's the most likely explanation. DC Comics is bringing out a whole new series of movies based on the Justice League group, including Batman and Superman. It's not unthinkable that DC has demanded TLG to retire Lego Batman sets from the completely unrelated Christopher Nolan directed Batman trilogy. That demand may have been a prerequisite for TLG to maintain the license rights to bring out new Lego sets for the Batman vs Superman and subsequent Justice League sequels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, valenciaeric said:

If it was such a bad seller, why has SAH always had it pegged at max 1 or 2? On the other hand, its price was reduced in some SAH´s earlier this year. If the price of production and tyres was so high, whu launch cheaper sets using the same tyres just when this one is announced as retiring?

Should we now be more bearish about EV and SC retirement?

I don't believe it was a bad seller. Outside of Star Wars has there ever been two direct to consumer sets for a licensed theme at the same time (I cannot recall this ever happening)? I think it is simply time to clear it out for the new Batcave release. Current supplies could last a few months, especially in Europe.

IMO EV will be around in 2016 (even LEGO Shop at Home says as much). Sea Cow I would say is done. Helicarrier I would also expect to hang around until the new Marvel direct to consumer is released (X-Mansion in 2017?).

Tumbler looks like a great set. But my concern is:

- in Europe are comic heroes much less popular than in USA,

- how important is this vehicle for fans? Everybody knows batmobile, but what about this vehicle? Is it just a car from 1 movie, or is it a legend?

I am not a fan of batman and other hero, so cannot evaluate this set exactly.

Yeah, the risk element involved here for us Europeans is that Superheroes theme tag. As the first such UCS set, it may buck the trend of poor performance from past sets and the short shelf life will certainly help - especially as it was only a non lego shop exclusive for part of this year.

12 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

i think some folks are over-thinking the investment potential of this set. 

if 76023 performs even half as well as 7784 (The Batmobile: Ultimate Collectors' Edition), it's a success in my book. that $70 set is now around $400 for MISB ones.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7784-1

Half as well = RRP for current one but I know what you mean. With the modular market seeimingly saturated, there isn´t much better place to put the big money right now.

16 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

i think some folks are over-thinking the investment potential of this set. 

if 76023 performs even half as well as 7784 (The Batmobile: Ultimate Collectors' Edition), it's a success in my book. that $70 set is now around $400 for MISB ones.

Times are much different now. That set was not hoarded and is much more recognizable.

12 minutes ago, jaisonline said: i think some folks are over-thinking the investment potential of this set. 

Half as well = RRP for current one but I know what you mean. With the modular market seeimingly saturated, there isn´t much better place to put the big money right now.

Jaisonline was referring to half the ROI not half the total price.

• Like 1

Off topic but i finally finished building my copy of 7784.  Absolutely amazing model!

In a couple of years time its going to be the late 20/early 30 y/o who grew up with the Dark Knight as their batman. They're going to be the new AFOLS with the ca$h to burn.  The tumbler is one of those sets that has the wow factor that will attract people who have no interest in Lego but want THAT model just to display (IMO).

Maybe I'm a little too high on this set.... but it is awesome :) (and failing it doing well has some pretty decent parts for Moc'ers)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, valenciaeric said:

The original UCS set has grown nearly 5.75x MSRP of $70. So if 76023 grows even 2.8x MSRP of $200 w/in 2 years, I'll be happy enough with $260 profit before fees ($560-$200). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mesje said:

Tumbler looks like a great set. But my concern is:

- in Europe are comic heroes much less popular than in USA,

- how important is this vehicle for fans? Everybody knows batmobile, but what about this vehicle? Is it just a car from 1 movie, or is it a legend?

I am not a fan of batman and other hero, so cannot evaluate this set exactly.

batman is batman maybe the most known superhero in the world.

anyway, the tumbler is the batmobile in the last 3 batman movies, named the tumbler,but it is a batmobile.... and was in the 3 movies, in a form or an other.

so yeah pretty cool batmobile, the coolest we've seen by far for  a batmobile... in my opinion , well see the new one in action soon

• Like 1

And for the questions, Is the tumbler a good investement?

My answer is definitly yes. Most people are very suprise that it is already retiring. Secondo, was limited, i don't think anyone has 20 of them like we see for modulars and tower bridge and star wars stuff like picture we see in the stockroom threat. it came out if I remember correctly, october 2014. Even if we hoard it now, we are not sure if they will be doing more, so it will be limited. The 70810 is a good investement I also think, wasnt hoarded at all, and I've builded one, a heck of a model.

To continue with the tumbler, for having building one too, it is a very impressive model, owns the right to be called UCS. He might be the opening one for a new séries of UCS superheroes, and with those circonstance, might hit x5.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TargetZero said:

And for the questions, Is the tumbler a good investement?

My answer is definitly yes. Most people are very suprise that it is already retiring. Secondo, was limited, i don't think anyone has 20 of them like we see for modulars and tower bridge and star wars stuff like picture we see in the stockroom threat. it came out if I remember correctly, october 2014. Even if we hoard it now, we are not sure if they will be doing more, so it will be limited. The 70810 is a good investement I also think, wasnt hoarded at all, and I've builded one, a heck of a model.

To continue with the tumbler, for having building one too, it is a very impressive model, owns the right to be called UCS. He might be the opening one for a new séries of UCS superheroes, and with those circonstance, might hit x5.

are you really serious making statement like "Secondo, was limited, i don't think anyone has 20 of them"

there are few folks here who has about 40X of those already squarrelled away.

i am sure there are more than 10 BP'ers who have more than 20 very very easily. 

if it was not holiday season i would have posted my stash :) i have most of mine already boxed up so have to take them apart to take pics. 

Edited by newbie77

And yes forgot to say, not saying to do that, but I personnaly think that it is the set to put big money in it. The more you have of this one, the better it is. 

5 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

are you really serious making statement like "Secondo, was limited, i don't think anyone has 20 of them"

there are folks here who has about 40X of those already squarrelled away.

i am sure there are folks here who have more than 20 very very easily. 

if it was not holiday season i would have posted my stash :) i have most of mine already boxed up so have to take them apart to take pics. 

ah maybe some do, but I was just saying what I saw on pictures, in the stockroom/collections pictures forum.

On 12/6/2015, 2:09:41, dcdfan said:

Personally, I'd pick up Red 5, if I didn't have any. Tumbler is still available @ retailers & is retiring soon as well as the other 2 (assumption on SC)  but hasn't been out of stock at all retailers like Red 5 has. Sea Cow is a gambling mans purchase. If that's you, then you should get that. I'm guessing since you posted this question in the Tumbler thread, you may be leaning towards that one. I'm not against it by any means, I just think there's time. My 2¢...

I agree. BPers are crazy. I am planning to get 20 b4 EOL too, but dun wanna get flagged at the same time.

I wonder who has more than 40+ here though?