San Diego Comic-Con 2014

trekgate502

What makes me mad is that it's another Comic Con vendor who gets in early and fills up the line before regular attendees have a chance. He was in such a hurry to post it that he couldn't even be bothered to take off the Comic Book descriptions in his eBay ad. Lego won't do anything about people that ****** up 1 in a 1000 exclusives before a regular person can get one, but they'll ban someone from the VIP program for buying a few Grand Emporiums.

• Like 1

SDCC is like this for all companies though.  Anything that sells for such a premium on eBay is targeted by vendors and scalpers.  The only way companies would get around this is to make so many of the exclusives that anyone can buy them.  They like to keep things limited and ensure that they sell out of them while getting all the attention that the SDCC buzz creates for them. At least they increased the minifigure production numbers substantially this year.  That's a step in the right direction.

What makes me mad is that it's another Comic Con vendor who gets in early and fills up the line before regular attendees have a chance. He was in such a hurry to post it that he couldn't even be bothered to take off the Comic Book descriptions in his eBay ad. Lego won't do anything about people that ****** up 1 in a 1000 exclusives before a regular person can get one, but they'll ban someone from the VIP program for buying a few Grand Emporiums.

Back from Comic Con tonight.  Let me tell you about my Lego experiences...

First, to address what Kriterian above said, it wasn't the case this year.  They had signs up "No Vendors or Exhibitors" for the exclusives.  They didn't open the line until 9:30, and I was told they were pretty strongly checking to make sure it was only people that paid to get into Comic Con (vs Exhibitors) who were able to get in line and buy the exclusives.  They sold out quick, though, so no exclusives for me.

I checked out the Lego store, and it looked fine.  Nothing special there.  About the only thing I would have considered was Tower of Orthanc, but I can get it at Legoland California with my annual pass discount, so I passed (plus, I didn't feel like walking around with that beast all day).

Walked around the floor.  Some vendors were selling Ecto-1 GB for $75.  I saw a couple of older SDCC exclusive Lego sets around (one was a 2009 Star Wars set, the other was an Indiana Jones set).  A couple of vendors had polybags.  I did see one vendor with a number of castle and vikings sets from the late 80s and early 90s.

Came across a vendor that had Series 1 minifigs for $10 each, and Series 2, 3, 4, 5, Movie, and Simpsons minifigs for $5 each.  I needed a bunch from the first 5 series, so I spend my time smooshing those and picking out about 25 that I needed.

At 12:30, they opened up the line for the chance to win the Bard minifig.  I went upstairs at 12:45.  I saw quite a few people walking way with them.  So, I started following the line to the end.  I kept walking.  And walking.  And walking.  After about 10 minutes of walking, and seeing the line continuing down to the marina on the backside of the convention center, I gave up.  I decided any money I'd make on that single figure wasn't worth my the hour or longer that I'd be standing there, waiting for the chance to win.  And, if I didn't win, I'd just be upset that I wasted the time.  So no figure for me.

And then the final capper - in the rush to get my kids out of the house today, and off to summer camp/day care, I forgot half my Emmet costume.  So I wasn't in costume today.  I'll try to wear it tomorrow and Sunday (the other two days I'm going).

• Like 3

Came across a vendor that had Series 1 minifigs for $10 each, and Series 2, 3, 4, 5, Movie, and Simpsons minifigs for $5 each.  I needed a bunch from the first 5 series, so I spend my time smooshing those and picking out about 25 that I needed.

SCORE !!!  Forget the Bard minifig ;)

Back from Comic Con tonight.  Let me tell you about my Lego experiences...

First, to address what Kriterian above said, it wasn't the case this year.  They had signs up "No Vendors or Exhibitors" for the exclusives.  They didn't open the line until 9:30, and I was told they were pretty strongly checking to make sure it was only people that paid to get into Comic Con (vs Exhibitors) who were able to get in line and buy the exclusives.  They sold out quick, though, so no exclusives for me.

I checked out the Lego store, and it looked fine.  Nothing special there.  About the only thing I would have considered was Tower of Orthanc, but I can get it at Legoland California with my annual pass discount, so I passed (plus, I didn't feel like walking around with that beast all day).

Walked around the floor.  Some vendors were selling Ecto-1 GB for $75.  I saw a couple of older SDCC exclusive Lego sets around (one was a 2009 Star Wars set, the other was an Indiana Jones set).  A couple of vendors had polybags.  I did see one vendor with a number of castle and vikings sets from the late 80s and early 90s.

At 12:30, they opened up the line for the chance to win the Bard minifig.  I went upstairs at 12:45.  I saw quite a few people walking way with them.  So, I started following the line to the end.  I kept walking.  And walking.  And walking.  After about 10 minutes of walking, and seeing the line continuing down to the marina on the backside of the convention center, I gave up.  I decided any money I'd make on that single figure wasn't worth my the hour or longer that I'd be standing there, waiting for the chance to win.  And, if I didn't win, I'd just be upset that I wasted the time.  So no figure for me.

And then the final capper - in the rush to get my kids out of the house today, and off to summer camp/day care, I forgot half my Emmet costume.  So I wasn't in costume today.  I'll try to wear it tomorrow and Sunday (the other two days I'm going).

That's great that they have the signs up. Do you know if there was a limit on exclusives? One per person or one of each set per person? 

The minifigure deal was an awesome find and would be worth the trip to the convention for me.

Grove Bricks is reporting that someone has stolen 50 of The Collector minifig, which I believe is tomorrow's giveaway.

http://www.groovebricks.com/lego-sdcc-2014-man-allegedly-stole-50-exclusive-the-collector-minifigures/

I thought about this and gave it some thought.  If the theft is true, if I was Lego I would substitute that minifigure exclusive with something else.  Take them all off the market and wait for them to appear on Ebay to crack down on the thief.  If they are in truly that limited of quantity they should be able to track down the person, if they were that interested and had the others accounted for.  Such a shame though if it's true.

there's a link here http://www.fbtb.net/2014/07/25/sdcc-bard-the-bowman-legos-not-so-exclusive-minifigure/

claiming that bard is a preview figure like azog and will be in a future set, i wouldn't spend much on him

It depends... Azog still sells for over $400. It is about being a completist. There is 200 Azog's and 1,750 Bard's. Bard will drop in price as it has been. I want a Bard to complete the LOTR Hobbit collection of every option. But to many that is unimportant.

I was seeing some with bids at $200 to $300 tonight. I just don't get it.

After what happened with Azog last year, I'm surprised people are willing to pay a premium for Bard.  I'm sure we'll see that figure in the 3rd wave of Hobbit sets.

After what happened with Azog last year, I'm surprised people are willing to pay a premium for Bard.  I'm sure we'll see that figure in the 3rd wave of Hobbit sets.

They are paying for the box / plastic case and most likely do not have any interest in assembling minifig from the set

• Like 2

They are paying for the box / plastic case and most likely do not have any interest in assembling minifig from the set

Thats a lot of coin for a bit of plastic and cardboard for a fig that's going to be readily available, but I guess some people have to have it.  I used to pay top dollar for magic cards back in the day so I have no room to talk.

Lego did announce that the exact same figure will be in a Hobbit preview set that is being released soon. I am not sure if this changes things for any of you that just wanted the figure and didn't care about the packaging, but I suspect it will come down in price when that info is more widespread. I hope this helps you guys out that are looking at it now.