San Diego Comic-Con 2014

trekgate502

It's always a love/hate relationship with the LEGO booth at SDCC. Several cool things revealed today from the Wall Street Journal:

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEB-82313

Wow, 20 exclusives and 3 limited edition sets with them spreading 250 per day for 4 days of each.

This should really cause all the hysteria that happened last year.

Let the eBay high $ preorders begin.  I'll be a buyer on some unfortunately! :)

Wow, 20 exclusives and 3 limited edition sets with them spreading 250 per day for 4 days of each.

This should really cause all the hysteria that happened last year.

Let the eBay high $ preorders begin. I'll be a buyer on some unfortunately! :)

I'm guessing 20 was a typo? It looks like 4 minifigures and 3 sets.

I'm guessing 20 was a typo? It looks like 4 minifigures and 3 sets.

Down at the bottom it said this...

At Comic-Con, Lego plans in all to reveal more than 20 exclusives, including other limited-edition sets and life-size models for film franchises such as

It's always a love/hate relationship with the LEGO booth at SDCC. Several cool things revealed today from the Wall Street Journal:

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/BL-SEB-82313

Never mind Groot and Rocket or even The Collector, it's the Stay Puft Marshmallow man in the bottom left corner of that video that has my eye!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

I'm a Comic Con vet (almost 30 years), but for some reason, I've never bothered to crack the Lego Comic Con code.  I get the 250 sets for sale, and getting in line for that (I tried last year).  What I don't get are the other giveaways, like the Collector figure.  How in the world are those given out?

I'm a Comic Con vet (almost 30 years), but for some reason, I've never bothered to crack the Lego Comic Con code.  I get the 250 sets for sale, and getting in line for that (I tried last year).  What I don't get are the other giveaways, like the Collector figure.  How in the world are those given out?

They usually give the mini figs away randomly thru out the day.

As far as getting in line to purchase the exclusives, good luck.  Most of the exhibitors buy a normal pass so they can get inline at the various vendors, that's why when you think you're there early the line is already capped.  

• Like 1

You know what baffles me? They can do unique printings for such limited items as the new Unikitty, but doing decent prints for the Mini Cooper (front emblem is ugly as hell as a sticker) or Orthanc would be too much to ask for? I am beginning to be seriously disgusted by this level of monetization.

• Like 5

You know what baffles me? They can do unique printings for such limited items as the new Unikitty, but doing decent prints for the Mini Cooper (front emblem is ugly as hell as a sticker) or Orthanc would be too much to ask for? I am beginning to be seriously disgusted by this level of monetization.

Not to mention the amount of time taken by a graphics artist to draw up all those details to then run through the company

Things like this will always annoy me about LEGO. Willing to print out a very limited run of figures that will be given out for free? Sure! Willing to print on the brick when people can pay up to literally hundreds of dollars for a set? Nope!

Of course they want to make the set as cheap as possible to produce to maximize profit... but this is getting a bit ridiculous. I really want that new version of Uni-Kitty, but guess what? I don't want to pay the eBay prices. Glad the Angry Kitty appears to be from a new set, so atleast I'll be getting that one. Hopefully LEGO will release another normal, pink Kitty that looks atleast somewhat similar to the SDCC? As the SDCC figure is a double sided brick and plate print, maybe we'll see something similar to what happened to Azog and get these exact versions of Uni-Kitty in the new 2015 LEGO Movie wave just as two separate figures. Hey, I can speculate, haha.

The second SDCC minifigure has been revealed and it's a Bard the Bowman variant from the Hobbit.  So far this year's minifigures are much better than the previous years because they are such niche characters.  It's frustrating that Green Lantern, Phoenix, Bizarro, Shazam, Spider-Woman and Green Arrow are all exclusive minifigures that cost an arm and a leg because of how LEGO decided to distribute them.

• Like 1

The second SDCC minifigure has been revealed and it's a Bard the Bowman variant from the Hobbit.  So far this year's minifigures are much better than the previous years because they are such niche characters.  It's frustrating that Green Lantern, Phoenix, Bizarro, Shazam, Spider-Woman and Green Arrow are all exclusive minifigures that cost an arm and a leg because of how LEGO decided to distribute them.

OK, now that is one I have to buy.  I am buying 1 of everything LOTR/Hobbit including all custom items to have the complete set.

Did you notice they said this year to avoid last years issues, they will "scan" your badge and tell you if you won something. :)

Very Interesting.  Fair.  Does most likely prevent people from waiting in line and scalping for the give aways except for 1 per person to put on ebay.

They scanned badges 2 years ago and it was a lot better than the raffle ticket hoopla they had going on last year. 

The mini figure and mini vehicle sets are still probably first come, first serve at their booth first thing in the morning.  Good luck trying to get there before all the vendors though.  Ugh!

OK, now that is one I have to buy.  I am buying 1 of everything LOTR/Hobbit including all custom items to have the complete set.

Did you notice they said this year to avoid last years issues, they will "scan" your badge and tell you if you won something. :)

Very Interesting.  Fair.  Does most likely prevent people from waiting in line and scalping for the give aways except for 1 per person to put on ebay.

I hope that's the case.  It'd sure make life easier.

They usually give the mini figs away randomly thru out the day.

No. The only figure that was randomly given away was Azog last year.

Last year, the rest of the minifigures were given away via a raffle. You lined up in one area upstairs to draw your raffle ticket. Later in the day they post the winning numbers.

The year before that they scanned badges and then posted the winners on a board later in the day.

Before that they held a drawing at the booth and the winning tickets had a special stamp on the back.

Regardless of how they did it, the times were always posted so everyone would know how it was going to work.

I think it went well last year actually. I didn't get a minifig but I thought it was fair. I waited in a line about a half mile long outside of the convention center and they scanned my badge and was handed a ticket with a number on it. A few hours later the winning groups of numbers were posted on a website and you would go to the Lego booth to pick it up.