Thread of Packaging Excellence

Guest TabbyBoy

If I now receive a set bought online that arrives a bit bashed but cheap, I just part it out as it's a lot less hassle than either waiting at home all day for a courier to collect or driving to a branch to drop it off. However, I couldn't part out any of my soaked Advent Calendars from Boots as the box is the most important part!

My main lesson learned this year is to always Click & Collect (never delivery) as you can simply reject poor boxes on the spot and get refunded on those within a couple of days. This then tells those stores that they need to work harder on their storage and shipping.

For shipping sets myself, I've now run out of laptop/monitor boxes ;-( however, I've had a batch of 500 assorted custom double-walled boxes made that will accommodate sets that I wish to sell over the next year. It works out at about 90p per box but, I'll simply add this to P&P so eBay get their extra 9p final value fee! I still get free bubble-wrap from my ex-colleague that'll last me until the T1 retires! Double-walled boxes are critical for large UCS sets and modulars, anything less is just asking for trouble. Dont scrimp on box quality for the sake of pennies!

The worst part about these shipping label boxes is that when you return them they don't bother removing your shipping label before sending it out again. Someone else gets your address and personal info with their order.

Maybe in the confusion they'll send it back to me for free.
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, weitzel78 said:

Amazon wheelhouse deals "like new." Does Amazon do price adjustments or just refunds?

Warehouse deals implies a messed up box.  Only buy from them to build.  And they occasionally give credit or free months of Prime, but if you bought from Amazon Warehouse Deals this is about what to expect.

Edited by Sfcommando14

11 hours ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Warehouse deals implies a messed up box.  Only buy from them to build.  And they occasionally give credit or free months of Prime, but if you bought from Amazon Warehouse Deals this is about what to expect.

Gotcha, I bought it to build for my winter display, so nbd. I've ordered a few AWD before and all the like new ones look great even the box. This was my first try with Lego, just surprised the box was so thrashed.

Just now, weitzel78 said:

Gotcha, I bought it to build for my winter display, so nbd. I've ordered a few AWD before and all the like new ones look great even the box. This was my first try with Lego, just surprised the box was so thrashed.

It's been hit or miss for me.  Usually it's just a torn box where something poked it or a smashed end/corner.  Who knows what it looked like before it got the bubble-mailer treatment, but clearly the packing method did it no favors.

12 hours ago, weitzel78 said:

Amazon wheelhouse deals "like new." Does Amazon do price adjustments or just refunds?

IMG_20161014_003506.jpg

The sad thing is it´s probably the envelope that caused a lot of the damage. TRU consistently sent me pancaked microfighters  in the same way. Gotta order more stuff so they use a box.

Not sure this belongs in the Thread of Packaging Excellence, but wanted to share my story of what happened at Walmart today.  My wife was returning a Lego set we bought during the clearance sale this past summer.  It never as opened, meaning NISB of course, and we had the receipt.  The person at the return counter immediately tears the seals open to look at the contents of the box and re-tapes them after confirming what she was already told!  FYI, it was a Star Wars set.  We were both dumbfounded…I guess Walmart has had some problem with returns like these…

1 minute ago, LegoWalker4 said:

Not sure this belongs in the Thread of Packaging Excellence, but wanted to share my story of what happened at Walmart today.  My wife was returning a Lego set we bought during the clearance sale this past summer.  It never as opened, meaning NISB of course, and we had the receipt.  The person at the return counter immediately tears the seals open to look at the contents of the box and re-tapes them after confirming what she was already told!  FYI, it was a Star Wars set.  We were both dumbfounded…I guess Walmart has had some problem with returns like these…

This has been their policy as of late 

Couldn't find a relevant thread so posting here...

Anyone in UK use click and collect at argos when selling on ebay? Any feedback?

Seems like one big disadvantage is that the buyers can choose to not collect packages after 7 days, then the item gets returned to seller and you must give a refund, irregardless of there is a fault with the product.

Also not sure if many people use ebay postage but I've been posting big lego sets via parcelforce 48, post office price up to 2kg is £11.98, however on ebay price is only £7.57, a pretty big saving, however compensation is only up to £20, however I have never lost a package when sending via royal mail / parcelforce over 10years

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, jerphisch said:

Jet, if the box is too small, I guess you just need to push harder4fef72a80477f2692fab2fb40463eaf9.jpg

:( Thats crazy.  My Black Friday 30% off Lego orders with Jet were all fine (some Jet-fulfilled, and one someone else).  But I still have 3 sets coming from the 25% promotion.  Do you know if that set was fulfilled by Jet or a third-party?

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
On 23/10/2016 at 2:19 PM, Mhd747 said:

Couldn't find a relevant thread so posting here...

Anyone in UK use click and collect at argos when selling on ebay? Any feedback?

Seems like one big disadvantage is that the buyers can choose to not collect packages after 7 days, then the item gets returned to seller and you must give a refund, irregardless of there is a fault with the product.

Also not sure if many people use ebay postage but I've been posting big lego sets via parcelforce 48, post office price up to 2kg is £11.98, however on ebay price is only £7.57, a pretty big saving, however compensation is only up to £20, however I have never lost a package when sending via royal mail / parcelforce over 10years

No as I know people who have a very high non-collect rate due to lazy buyers or those with buyer's remorse just after ordering. I wouldn't trust Argos anyway after seeing the way they treat their own stock! I can only imagine Argos taking your pristine set of its sturdy box and then placing it in a bin liner to lower their postage costs.

IMHO... eBay posting is a waste of time as the compensation level is crap and how would you feel if a £150 set went AWOL? My main problem is that there's no way to edit the address so that it's correctly formatted before printing. I hate it when buyers don't use the correct case in their addresses. Royal Mail (Or Collect+) is what I use. Collect+ is still only £7.29 for £50 cover, tracking and signature for a 2-5KG parcel. It's not a lot extra for peace of mind.

The best thing about Collect+ for me is that I can drop the package off at any time between 07:00-21:00 without joining a massive queue. But, make sure that the box isn't even 1mm over 600x500x500mm or a gram over 10KG otherwise you'll get it back with NO postage refund!

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy

I have just swapped a 10240 Red 5 X-Wing for one of these, brand new from my "warehouse buddy" and I've been playing with it all afternoon. Forget LEGO, this is a "proper" toy and it's fantastic! I'll save me a lot of space and a lot of time! More importantly, the bags are light enough that most of my shipments are now just under the dreaded 2KG threshold so it'll pay for itseif in lower postage costs within a few weeks...

Edited by TabbyBoy

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

How long do you think the hold period on that will be? I heard they only do bi-annual retirements on those.

You mean 10240? I think it's missed the peak to be honest and is just eating up my storage space. I should've offloaded last year as there's way too many around now. People who want one at RRP only need to ask me.

6 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

You mean 10240? I think it's missed the peak to be honest and is just eating up my storage space. I should've offloaded last year as there's way too many around now. People who want one at RRP only need to ask me.

I meant the air packet maker. How's the box condition? Stickers still on the sheet?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I have just swapped a 10240 Red 5 X-Wing for one of these, brand new from my "warehouse buddy" and I've been playing with it all afternoon. Forget LEGO, this is a "proper" toy and it's fantastic! I'll save me a lot of space and a lot of time! More importantly, the bags are light enough that most of my shipments are now just under the dreaded 2KG threshold so it'll pay for itseif in lower postage costs within a few weeks...

What's the cost of this compared vs using kraft paper or newspapers etc

• 2 weeks later...