Thread of Packaging Excellence

1 hour ago, edgecrusher said:

Hey Amazon, at least tape some bubble wrap around the box!

amazon buckingham.JPG

Instead of them getting their money nice and neat deposited into their account, I'd love to send them their payment with a stamp and a shipping label on the side and let them take a hairdryer to remove the garbage.

• Like 3

Picked up two big sets from Tesco tonight, packed to perfection. The sets were individually wrapped in quality bubble wrap, then cased in an outer box full of brown paper to stop it from rattling about. Never used to be this good, maybe they had some complaints and upped their game. All in all, I'd have no worries ordered from Tesco in the future.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

It seems like UK supermarkets are finally listening to our packaging needs. Last month, I ordered well over 100 sets from Tesco/Asda and I'm pleased to say that 99% of my C&C orders were collected in outer boxes with good internal packaging. The only exception being 1 Dr Who and 1 Mystery Machine packed together from Tesco in a sealed bag with a thin bubble-bag inside. The 2 boxes had very minor creases so I parted them out and already got back £67 from the £48 they cost me! Of course, I'll sell the boxes themselves at a later date!

For those that have a lot Mystery Machines (and other square sets of similar size), I've now made "friends" with a local pizza outlet and he orders 100 of 31x31x7cm plain (no-logo) double-walled boxes at a time for me from his franchisor's supplier for £15 (15p per box!). This allows for a snug fit after wrapping a set twice round with big-bubble-wrap.

A also have a friend that works for HP and I get all their laptop and monitor boxes once installed. I'm now sorted when I come to sell my modulars and UCS sets.

If you need good boxes, just make some calls as most companies are happy to give them away.

Edited by TabbyBoy
typo

5 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Has anyone heard any more from Amazo about the optional (at extra cost) amazon boxes plan they were going to introduce?

Bought several items from amazon recently, all received in additional brown box, might be amazon trialling frustration free packaging lego boxes in North America only right now?

3 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

It seems like UK supermarkets are finally listening to our packaging needs.

I'll second this for Asda/George.  MF I just ordered came in a double walled box with plenty of brown paper in there to stop it "rattling" around.  Actually of all the order's I've placed in the last year Asda seems to be consistently the best.

Received my fairground mixer from walmart. they just slapped a shipping sticker on the side of the box. looks like UPS had to tape the box shut because it opened up in shipping. Did anyone ever get a further discount on their set by calling and complaining to Walmart? or is that a waste of time?

4 minutes ago, LJD1019 said:

Received my fairground mixer from walmart. they just slapped a shipping sticker on the side of the box. looks like UPS had to tape the box shut because it opened up in shipping. Did anyone ever get a further discount on their set by calling and complaining to Walmart? or is that a waste of time?

They don't usually do it, but it has been done before . 

Got my $117 Fairground Mixer today. Thanks to Walmart for slapping the shipping labels on the box. The side is open but all the bags are amazingly still there.

However, still a phone call for the complaint and now Toywiz will send me their's for only $126 more than I paid Walmart, and Walmart gets to cover that cost.

So instead of throwing it in a less than a dollar shipping box they're going to pay a difference in price that's more than what I paid originally. I should have just told them to let me keep it for free and it would save them $9.

Save money. Live Better. Whatever.

mixer.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure if this belongs here or in the KMart thread. Have ordered ~25 baseplates from KMart in orders of 1-2 each recently, all site-to-store (Sears). All come shipped from Napierville, IL, and get packaged in nice 17x12x4 boxes. Today I picked up 3 orders, two came as usual in the aforementioned box, with air pouches and all, one (my first order of a T-junction and Curve road baseplate set) came like this (shipping stickers on the other side). WTF.

IMG_20161011_113733.jpg

• Like 2

I ordered a bunch of Ewok Village from Amazon last week. They were all delivered on Saturday and I have never seen Amazon ship things this way before.

First off, they sent them 5 at a time. They took two large boxes, left them open on one end, and taped them together to make one giant Frankenstein box. They individually bubble wrapped each box with a two inch thick layer and stacked them inside. The entire outer box was covered in tape. I mean, literally covered in tape. Every inch of it.

The LEGO boxes themselves were also weird. Six out of my 20 boxes had FBA labels on them, even though all 20 were ordered directly from Amazon. This had me concerned at first but every box was in brand new, pristine condition. I'm guessing Amazon oversold these so they started pulling them from FBA sellers to fulfill orders. The weird thing is that the ones with the FBA labels were bubble wrapped just like all the rest, and all of the boxes had Amazon Prime tape to seal the bubble wrap. The FBA labels were on top of the Amazon Prime tape, which I still can't figure out. Amazon would have had to put the FBA labels on there (six different sellers), and I have no idea why they would have done that even if they grabbed inventory from other sellers to fulfill the order. Why put the label back on there after wrapping it up?

Anyway, it was a weird experience but everything came in perfect condition... which doesn't entirely fit the theme of this thread, but I thought the unconventional/random packaging from Amazon was worth mentioning. I have never seen anything like it before.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, chibhawk said:

mixer.jpg

copied from @chibhawk as one of my fairground mixers looked identical.  One of them came in mint inside another box, but this one was just shipped as is.  Looked like a return that they just slapped some stickers on and shipped again.  Anyone ordering multiple from Walmart on this, be on the lookout.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Poly 30286 said:

I'm trying so hard not to gripe... I got my Disney Castle yesterday. It is so close to having a beautiful box, except for one squished corner and some rubbing on the sides. Is it worth a phone call? Or do I just sound like a brat? One more strip of pillows would have worked wonders. :(

I wouldn't waste my time with calling LEGO.  They'll just tell you to return it.  Much more of a hassle than anything. 

If you're building, no biggie.  If you're selling, no biggie.

• Like 5

35 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I wouldn't waste my time with calling LEGO.  They'll just tell you to return it.  Much more of a hassle than anything. 

If you're building, no biggie.  If you're selling, no biggie.

I must concur. I bought one and it was damaged more so than just a squished corner. The box was still sealed. Managed to still flip it decently for decent profit.