LEGO Ideas Results

TheOrcKing

Both are kind of meh for my personal collection. I did not get that vibe I got the first time I laid my eyes on RI as far as investment

RI had the trifecta of controversy (the girls and lego debate seems to have taken off this year), national news coverage, and very limited availability.  I don't see either of these sets taking off like RI did.  The bird set will probably see a bit of a bubble though as people will think it's the next RI.  Both of the previous licensed cuusoo sets have not been limited, so I suspect the same for big bang.

Edited by naf

RI had the trifecta of controversy (the girls and lego debate seems to have taken off this year), national news coverage, and very limited availability.  I don't see either of these sets taking off like RI did.  The bird set will probably see a bit of a bubble though as people will think it's the next RI.  Both of the previous licensed cuusoo sets have not been limited, so I suspect the same for big bang.

You are not paying any attention to the value of gifting these sets. Many lego sets are bought as gifts to give to kids friends coworkers etc...The occupational nature of RI made them a great gift for professionals as has been discussed on the board also see series 1 Nurse Minecraft Architecture Studio Etc....Many of you may be underestimating the popularity of Big Bang theory and its value as a gift to a very broad audience. It will sell well

Dr Who is not big in the states. I don't know anything about it. It has a following here but not like the UK. 

Do people watch TBBT in the UK? It's pretty awful, a lot of nerd stereotypes, so of course it's popular. 

TBBT is shown and watched, but as far as i can tell there isn

Edited by feed

You are not paying any attention to the value of gifting these sets. Many lego sets are bought as gifts to give to kids friends coworkers etc...The occupational nature of RI made them a great gift for professionals as has been discussed on the board also see series 1 Nurse Minecraft Architecture Studio Etc....Many of you may be underestimating the popularity of Big Bang theory and its value as a gift to a very broad audience. It will sell well

Oh I agree with you it can be a gift for many, in the non traditional Lego buyers world TBBT is huge in the US as far as the TV Market consumer go.  I just find the show unappealing and it shows where TV has gone in the US, which I do not like.  It could be a big gift.  To me I will flip it if there is an opportunity but I do not want one personally at all.  I bet the market is flooded with it and I'll be passing.  We shall see.

The Bird set I actually like, I think they would underproduce it more than TBBT and we do have many bird lovers in the US, but I would think the market for Apple Store, BTTF fans would be much greater.

I just think they picked badly this time.

They should have gone with BTTF and Dr Who.  

LEGO Ideas #009 and #010 have been announced. I'm a little underwhelmed, but there weren't any finalists that really interested me, anyway.

While I am curious as to what will come out from the Birds project but Big Bang Theory?

bp_1415420317__really.jpg

Well I will say this much. If they are actually going through with a show like that as an idea for a set then Dr. Who has to happen whether it be an Ideas set or licensed theme. It doesn't take a Time Lord to predict the maelstrom unleashed across the net if after everything Lego said "Nope".

Guest brickcrazyhouse

I like both these sets the birds more so. both will display well. as far as investing I'ld rather go with more of a "sure" thing with the moduals

As always it's supply vs. demand. I am building Exo, it is a killer set, a lot of fun, and truly unique. Simply stated- it's over-saturated, overly available, and heavily stocked by investors. Thus, it will not "pop" at the rate others will.

Regardless of the the theme, if there's more fans of a set than volume of investors hoarding, it's post-production increase will spike much faster. The show, concept, you name it doesn't matter. Limited interest from the investment community ulimately will make a retired set much sexier on the back end.

As Warren B. states, "when others are running away from an investment, run towards it".

• Like 1

This group of ideas sets are pretty ho hum. I'll pick up a bird project just to have one but it'll probably stay sealed. TBBT is a pretty busy little set. You get 7 minifigs and 2 mini super hero figs, a telescope with-im assuming-a printed dry erase board (very RIesque), and varied random elements. Something else I'm fan of is non-symmetrical builds, which this is, even though this is quite a small set.

post-10435-14154330248137_thumb.jpg

I don't really have a read on the bird project as to how this will perform. At this point it's a gamble IMO. TBBT on the other hand, I feel it will do well but not spectacular. Parter outers will probably benefit from this set too (not that have any experience with doing that).

As for the next line of Ideas sets, "Everything is Awesome!"

My 1st pick would be the AT-AT. I would put a leash on that baby and take her for a walk around the neighbourhood. Realistically, I don't see this set being approved or any of the other modulars just do to size. It would be nice if the ghostbusters made it through, it would definitely compliment the ecto-1 and bump up the secondary market pricing. In the end, wall-e will probably be the one approved or the Dr. Who line if it gets pushed to this group.

I'm going to go out on a limb and predict the ghostbusters hq gets the nod (stock up on those ecto-1s) but deep down I'm rooting for the AT-AT.

It seems like a lot of people are disappointed by the big bang theory (TBBT) set in this forum. I'm extremely surprised.

Of course you have to be a fan to understand of incredible is this Ideas set. Cool details, like the heating switch or green lantern's... lantern next to the skyrocket.

And seven minifigs ! About the display, it can easily been MOCed and have the kitchen added, etc. Great.

In my country, TBBT is extremely popular, as much as walking dead or game of thrones (to compare with series which are on TV screens at the same moment). The only (fun) TV serie which is as popular here is Malcom. Next, I would say American Housewives or Friends (but it's not as fun as it was in the 90's).

But Dr Who... I'm sure a lot of french people don't know who he is. Well, geeks do know of course. Why isn't he popular ? Because the series have not been on TV screens, or for a short time.  David Tennant and Matt Smith episodes have been on TV screens but I'm not sure about the others Doctors... at least I can't remember them.

We have not that much TV series here. Lots of stupid shows (supposed to be fun, ah ah.... kill me please). So when a fun TV serie like TBBT come to us, it's a success. I can imagine TBBT lego set being as much popular as the ecto-1 here. No problem.

Edited by biniou
  • Like 2

I don't hate TBBT but I'm just surprised it made it as a lego set as it is just an apartment with some minifigs.  I mean, can you think of a more boring set if you had to?  Why not do an all in the family set with Archie's chair, meathead, Edith, Archie and what's her name the daughter?  That would be just as exciting.  Come to think of it, that may be gold!  

• Like 1

It seems like a lot of people are disappointed by the big bang theory (TBBT) set in this forum. I'm extremely surprised.

Of course you have to be a fan to understand of incredible is this Ideas set. Cool details, like the heating switch or green lantern's... lantern next to the skyrocket.

And seven minifigs ! About the display, it can easily been MOCed and have the kitchen added, etc. Great.

In my country, TBBT is extremely popular, as much as walking dead or game of thrones (to compare with series which are on TV screens at the same moment). The only (fun) TV serie which is as popular here is Malcom. Next, I would say American Housewives or Friends (but it's not as fun as it was in the 90's).

But Dr Who... I'm sure a lot of french people don't know who he is. Well, geeks do know of course. Why isn't he popular ? Because the series have not been on TV screens, or for a short time.  David Tennant and Matt Smith episodes have been on TV screens but I'm not sure about the others Doctors... at least I can't remember them.

We have not that much TV series here. Lots of stupid shows (supposed to be fun, ah ah.... kill me please). So when a fun TV serie like TBBT come to us, it's a success. I can imagine TBBT lego set being as much popular as the ecto-1 here. No problem.

So I surely cannot tell better than you, but when I've been to Montpellier the daughters of a friend of my host mother watched Doctor Who (they didn't tell but they actually watched it on the screen ;-) ).

Here in Germany it's also so so... but once you're fan you will buy it ^.^

And I mean in the end the point is that there is an iconic set and people who WANT/NEED it.

If LEGO does it right there will be a lot of people who'd buy it.

I can imagine though that the licence problem might accure and make this set pretty difficult to happen (that's a pity!).

As for the AT-AT: I also have high hopes... if it does never come I'll build one myself when I have the time/money/space.

But it wouldn't be the first time that LEGO doesn't take something from the ideas line and produces a set later on that is part of another theme

(at least scrolling through the ideas theme ideas I saw quite some sets that actually did happen but not as part of the ideas theme, maybe I'm wrong here dunno).

Still have to check the results myself ;) Didn't see the winners yet. Why did nobody post a link? :-P

As for the AT-AT: I also have high hopes... if it does never come I'll build one myself when I have the time/money/space.

But it wouldn't be the first time that LEGO doesn't take something from the ideas line and produces a set later on that is part of another theme

(at least scrolling through the ideas theme ideas I saw quite some sets that actually did happen but not as part of the ideas theme, maybe I'm wrong here dunno).

The UCS AT-AT won't be an Ideas set if it happens. Nor will any Star Wars set pass. Ever.

Okay seen it all in the video:

https://ideas.lego.com/

Actually I like the birds! :-P They'll be cool on display.

My GF also will love them.

The apple store looks so so and though it is a popular product apple will want to have a good share of the profits so I would have decided against it as well.

Also LEGO would support Apple... don't know if that's in their best interest.

Finally the Apple Store isn't really something cool. It's just a cube with the apple sign. so yeah... I can see how LEGO decided against it.

The Back to the Future Train... it's not really that iconic. It features in an animated series okay... but that's pretty much all about it. I could have imagined that it would have been possible just to build up on this whole BttF theme but I can see why it's not worth it.

A quite BIG not so popular not even really good looking train... I can see why they didn't take it.

The Big Bang Theory actually surprises me! I bet there will be some licence costs included as well.

I'd put it on the same brick as the DoctorWho thingy: Fans will WANT it. The minifigs alone will be heavily sought after by fans.

DoctorWho: I would totally add it to the line if I were LEGO company. What surprises me most here: Those two ideas are actually pretty much the same. So I would chose DoctorWho and companions because it comes with more features.

The fact that it is still in review shows that they do have a hard time on this one. I guess it will also depend on the licence cost they will have to pay, but I do see how LEGO actually wants this set to happen.

I mean even for those who don't even know DoctorWho this set might be cool since you can put his box on display with your modulars, the minifigs probably will be great, etc. Those are not very strong points I know but I cannot see this set not doing at least as well as the DeLorean (who does have quite some flaws when it comes to the design).

My predictions for the next review process:

If it can happen, then DoctorWho will happen

WallE also will depend on the licence cost (but I can see how LEGO does want a small good looking popular easy to display set to happen)

GhostbustersHQ: This one is a tricky one. I really wish that this one happens. I would be great together with the Ecto-1.

Pros:

-it's pretty much a modular so it could easily fit into the theme (FB look out! ;-) )

-it's Ghostbusters (so you can add the Ecto-1)

-it actually looks nice!

Cons:

-I'd guess that the fact that it is Ghostbusters won't help... for the real fans the ecto-1 and minifigs has been the deal. why buy an expensive building?

-it will have to be expensive! I'm not sure if LEGO actually is willing to take that much risk... probably not

-though it does look nice I can imagine how it is "just a cube" to LEGO.

so my prediction on this one: it won't happen (I hope I'm wrong here! I really do...)

X-Mansion: Yeah... it looks nice and all. But are there enough fans out there to buy a set that is so expensive? I don't know.

So probably I wouldn't take this one as part of the ideas theme but rather add something like it to the superheroes theme.

Batman: same as X-Mansion

I guess that LEGO is looking for something that they don't already have. After all they want to make money, so batman is somethine a lot of people love. but Bat-Mansion just now after AA and Attack on Batcave? And not even as part of the superheroes theme? I don't think so.

Hubble:

Mars Rover has been great, the space rocket has been great... everything screams YES if you ask me.

Lightsaber: Personally I don't like this set.

Also I doubt hat there will be so many fans of it, as it merely is for display.

Would I add it to the ideas theme? Absolutely NOT. If LEGO runs out of ideas for the UCS SW they might probably build something like that instead of another YODA bust.

UCA AT-AT:

This one hurts but I actually do doubt that this will happen.

At least not as ideas set.

It might still happen as UCS SW though! I guess the theme does pretty well and LEGO could take a chance by bringing out a set that costs more than 500$ since the MF has performed quite nice as well.

If UCS AT-AT happens I'm in for some (at least 1 to build for myself ;-) )

As part of he ideas theme? I pretty much doubt it. (I wouldn't have a problem though if it happend!)

In conclusion: DoctorWho, Wall-E and Hubble will make it (if licence costs allow it).

Everything else would come as a surprise to me, though it would be a positive one ^.^

Disappointed to see the Big Bang Theory set being approved. Personally I detest the show so my view will be biased. Geeky nerds playing RTS games, girls with squeaky voices and a script that isn't remotely funny. Now if there was a Two and a Half Men set complete with Charlie Sheen, bottles of liquor and strippers I'd be all in.

Disappointed to see the Big Bang Theory set being approved. Personally I detest the show so my view will be biased. Geeky nerds playing RTS games, girls with squeaky voices and a script that isn't remotely funny. Now if there was a Two and a Half Men set complete with Charlie Sheen, bottles of liquor and strippers I'd be all in.

Don't forget the tiger blood!

charlie_sheen_tiger_blood.jpg

• Like 2