Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

Ok I just gutted the mattress and its a big piece of foam folded over numerous times. Seems like I can cut it to size and it can be padding  beneath the Lego boxes. I'll give it a go and see what happens. 

This is either the best idea ever or the worst. There is no middle ground. I can't wait to find out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mrbigz8657 said:

Ok I just gutted the mattress and its a big piece of foam folded over numerous times. Seems like I can cut it to size and it can be padding  beneath the Lego boxes. I'll give it a go and see what happens. 

I had a vision of someone thinking they had been too late to stop a chicken fight...

Hello all,

I started selling a few months ago.  Started bricklink/brickowl/ebay.  Majority of my sells are parts/minifigures.  Starting to get the hang of it.  I use mostly bubble mailers.  Im in Canada, seems to be the cheapest way to ship small parts.

I did a couple mistakes here and there that cost me a little with shipping.  I want to start selling a few complete sets on brickowl and ebay.  But bigger boxes might cost me big if I don't ship correctly.

I want to sell those 2:

75055-Imperial Star Destroyer
DIMENSIONS
58.2 x 37.8 x 10.3 cm 
(22.9 x 14.9 x 4.1 in)

70413-1: The Brick Bounty
DIMENSIONS
48 x 37.8 x 9.4 cm 
(18.9 x 14.9 x 3.7 in)

Any advise regarding which box size I should use?  I want to protect them of course, so a little padding will be necessary.

Thanks,

-Sqlplus

9 hours ago, sqlplus said:

Hello all,

I started selling a few months ago.  Started bricklink/brickowl/ebay.  Majority of my sells are parts/minifigures.  Starting to get the hang of it.  I use mostly bubble mailers.  Im in Canada, seems to be the cheapest way to ship small parts.

I did a couple mistakes here and there that cost me a little with shipping.  I want to start selling a few complete sets on brickowl and ebay.  But bigger boxes might cost me big if I don't ship correctly.

I want to sell those 2:

75055-Imperial Star Destroyer
DIMENSIONS
58.2 x 37.8 x 10.3 cm 
(22.9 x 14.9 x 4.1 in)

70413-1: The Brick Bounty
DIMENSIONS
48 x 37.8 x 9.4 cm 
(18.9 x 14.9 x 3.7 in)

Any advise regarding which box size I should use?  I want to protect them of course, so a little padding will be necessary.

Thanks,

-Sqlplus

Since you're in Canada, I'll direct you to the thread below, but if you're in this for the long haul, I suggest you just buy some properly sized boxes from uline.ca. They have all shapes and sizes. I like the flat boxes and have never had a problem with damage using them. I usually buy bubble wrap (when I've needed) from the local Uhaul store but you could probably find it cheaper...

Basically yes there is no substitute for just simply buying proper sized boxes, but within reason you should be able to buy a handful of sizes rather than every size out there. Also, always just use Expedited Parcel unless you have a buyer who wants it express... That's the best price by far. And lastly, although I've reused boxes always consider that Canada Post may deny any insurance claims for damage if you don't use a brand new box with a reasonable amount of spacing in the three dimensions (HxWxL) to account for some shipping box abuse. Of course that doesn't apply to lost parcels for hopefully obvious reasons. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Phil B said:

Going to post this in Daily Deals as well: 25% off packing tape at Staples.com (until Feb 13) use code 94904. Great for buying multiples of this: http://www.staples.com/Duck-HP260-High-Performance-Packaging-Tape-188-x-60-yds-6-Rolls/product_702512?PID=7098984 . Buy for >$49.99 (3 packs basically) and shipping is free.

Alternatively, this sounds like a good deal as well on packing tape: http://www.amazon.com/Sure-Max-Shipping-Packaging-Tape-yards/dp/B00RPG4HNS

24 rolls at double the length of the Duck tape I listed earlier for under $50. Brand is Sure Max. $47.89 and free shipping.

How are these compare to Scotch Heavy Duty tape you can get from Costco?  This is $7 off this month so final cost to me is about the same

5 minutes ago, Darth_Raichu said:

How are these compare to Scotch Heavy Duty tape you can get from Costco?  This is $7 off this month so final cost to me is about the same

I will let you know once I get them ... the Duck brand tape is what was recommended here in this thread by others, that's why I was looking for it and noticed the coupon :). Also note that you get _8_ rolls of 60yds each for $17.50 with the coupon (not 6 rolls as the link says).

On the SureMax - reviews on this tape are mixed - seems to be thinner tape than the usual but people report it sticks just as good and holds well. Number of reviews from power users who appreciate the tape. Again, I was just doing comparisons so haven't used this tape.

I use Scotch Shipping packaging tape currently (about to run out) but the tiny rolls with dispenser don't last long and I pay $11 for 6 of them (only 22yd per roll) which makes the Duck tape a WAAAY better deal, even when factoring in the one-time cost of a tape gun. I like the Scotch tape a lot though, so once I get the Duck brand I'll post back on my experience comparing the two.

• Like 1

Going to post this in Daily Deals as well: 25% off packing tape at Staples.com (until Feb 13) use code 94904. Great for buying multiples of this: http://www.staples.com/Duck-HP260-High-Performance-Packaging-Tape-188-x-60-yds-6-Rolls/product_702512?PID=7098984 . Buy for >$49.99 (3 packs basically) and shipping is free.

oh ... and as mentioned in Daily Deals, if you choose "ship to store" you don't need to buy for $50 or more to get free shipping.

On 2/12/2016 at 0:55 AM, sqlplus said:

You guys ship boxes to International?  From Canada, only Option I see when trying ex to UK are:

ex of size box: 24x18x5, 3.5kg

International Parcel - Surface
XpresspostTM - International 

And prices are high.

https://www.canadapost.ca/cpotools/apps/far/business/findARate?execution=e2s3

Shipping outside of Canada and the US is _very_ expensive. A small set that costs $12 in Canada or $20 to the US could easily run you double $40 for the cheapest shipping, and a larger one into $80-$100 range... I have never found a cheap way to ship (especially with tracking) to Europe.

(I'm in Europe right now) .. I was considering having a friend ship me something in a 12"x4"x4" box (very light less than 1kg) and it was going to be $40 to ship. That was International Air, 8-10 business days, no tracking, no insurance. Yuck.

A couple years ago I shipped a very large box to the UK with 5 sets in it (box was 24x24x22 and weighed about 30lbs). It was around $220 to ship with tracking and some insurance. Luckily buyer was desperate and paid the exorbitant shipping cost.

Thanks for the info.  Presently have 2-3 big boxes up on ebay.  How can I try to get fedex as shipping options for those boxes instead of Canada Poste?  I found out it is cheaper fro International using fedex.

I dealy, I would like to use CP for Cad and USA, and Fedex for INTL.  All using ebay that calculate shipping cost for customers.  I created both a CP and fedex account.  I cannot have anything than CP as shipping option when I settup an auction.  Would very much like fedex there as well.

20 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

Does anyone here ever buy air pillows... and from where?  I've never thrown one away. Always saved and reused them. I used to have so many, I thought I would never run out... but I have.

Seriously?!

how many do you need?

and what are you shipping. (pm me or text me)

Edited by pstebbing

29 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

Does anyone here ever buy air pillows... and from where?  I've never thrown one away. Always saved and reused them. I used to have so many, I thought I would never run out... but I have.

I have wondered this too. I have stopped buying stuff so I am running out quickly.

1 minute ago, Battrax said:

Anyone come across any Staples coupons for supplies or something similar? I am starting to run out of 24x20x6 boxes... 

There is a $10 off $30 for shipping supplies on their website right now but I am holding out for another 30 or 40% off. Have a shopping cart full of boxes waiting.

1 minute ago, MarxMarvelous said:

There is a $10 off $30 for shipping supplies on their website right now but I am holding out for another 30 or 40% off. Have a shopping cart full of boxes waiting.

Thank you, I thought that was in-store only and it appears the only physical Staples in my area is no more.

4 minutes ago, Battrax said:

Thank you, I thought that was in-store only and it appears the only physical Staples in my area is no more.

You are right it is in store only, I didn't even notice.

I'm looking to buy a scale to check the weight of my sets before selling them to make sure all the pieces are there. Does anybody have a good scale that they can recommend. I'd like to use the scale for checking the weight of my sets and also to use for when I ship my sets too. Thanks for any advice!  

1 hour ago, Redtree said:

I'm looking to buy a scale to check the weight of my sets before selling them to make sure all the pieces are there. Does anybody have a good scale that they can recommend. I'd like to use the scale for checking the weight of my sets and also to use for when I ship my sets too. Thanks for any advice!  

I cheaped out and bought a food scale. It works on anything up to 11 lbs/5 kilos. It can be a bit tricky weighing bulky packages but works like a charm on anything up to the large exclusives sans shipping box.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JRFB2ZQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

• Like 1