Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

Anyone ever ship an item in, say, a USPS Medium Flat Rate Box, but when paying for shipping (at your desktop at home), just select "basic" Priority Mail as the rate (which is usually cheaper than the flat rate price)?  I was using "Regional Rate Box A" for several shipments before I learned there was a special rate for this box.  Anyone else doing this?  Anyone ever pay basic Priority Mail rate, and have a packaged rejected?

This was the most appropriate thread I could think of to post this, the USPS has posted some rate increase information that is proposed to start January 2016. In short, it's a double digit percentage increase across the board. One thing that stands out is First Class Package rates. Although increasing 12.8%, the weight limit moves from 13oz to 16oz. So there is some good mixed in with the bad (the rate increase). There is a pretty good blog post about it here:

http://blog.stamps.com/2015/10/22/usps-announces-postage-rate-increase-starts-january-17-2016/

• Like 7

This is really going to hurt folks that sell minifigs. Steep increase on 3-5oz first class packages. Also more incentive to use Parcel Select in some cases. Never understood why Priority was actually cheaper or the same as Parcel in a lot of situations. Looks like they are fixing that.

This was the most appropriate thread I could think of to post this, the USPS has posted some rate increase information that is proposed to start January 2016. In short, it's a double digit percentage increase across the board. One thing that stands out is First Class Package rates. Although increasing 12.8%, the weight limit moves from 13oz to 16oz. So there is some good mixed in with the bad (the rate increase). There is a pretty good blog post about it here:

http://blog.stamps.com/2015/10/22/usps-announces-postage-rate-increase-starts-january-17-2016/

This will hit parter outers in the wallet.  First Class jumps to $2.60 up to 8oz.

Guest betsy805

Wow, that is insane.  Don't think it will affect Bricklink and Brickowl too heavily as ALL the sellers will be increasing their shipping rates to reflect this, but ebay will take a beating.  

Click-N-Ship Features:  Available on USPS.com, these features will move to retail pricing once the new rates are implemented in January 2016.  Commercial Base pricing for these features will no longer be available.

I wonder if ^^ applies to first class international packages too....if so I need to find a new venue to purchase international labels!

Wow, that is insane.  Don't think it will affect Bricklink and Brickowl too heavily as ALL the sellers will be increasing their shipping rates to reflect this, but ebay will take a beating.  

Click-N-Ship Features:  Available on USPS.com, these features will move to retail pricing once the new rates are implemented in January 2016.  Commercial Base pricing for these features will no longer be available.

I wonder if ^^ applies to first class international packages too....if so I need to find a new venue to purchase international labels!

I still expect we'll see a discounted rate.

• Like 1

I guess it varies by area. Ups for me is great while usps always damages stuff, loses stuff, leaves it out in the rain, delivers late, always misses my scheduled pick ups, leaves notices on my door saying they missed me even though I was home and they didn't even try to knock, and fights me on every claim. Literally the only reason I use them now at all is price. Take that away and I have no reason to use usps

The best and sturdiest boxes we use are a bit expensive but do support it's contents are from ULINE google it many ,many sizes.

Wrap in unprinted news paper wrap a few times, cut and tape ends, Secure box, tape bottom, if it's over 20 inches 3 bands of tape, center and two between end to center tape. one to 3 tapes on seam spreading it out a bit, but still center. Tape both bottom ends. turn box over. tape a 6inch or more across inside box seam. two tabes on inside flaps. Place package inside, Bubble wrap, large or small, large , bottom only, it will cover sided an over top a bit. small wrap whole box once, you may need 1 more piece top or bottom, BUBBLES TOWARD THE OUTSIDE of package. Tape seal top of box same way as bottom.

Unprinted newspaper wrap is usually free, called "end rolls" long and sometimes heavy.

Once you order from ULINE they will enclose a catalog every order, and then some.

Get a 30 day account, just pay the bill online, mail check, or call.

Any questions??? Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

I prefer to use shipping paper over air packs but I'm running low.  Is this my best option (quoted from Exciter1's original post)?  I'd like to have plenty on hand for the holidays.  I find my stress level goes way down when I can easily find boxes and shipping supplies.

Shipping Paper: 
Collect it when you receive shipments.
http://www.amazon.com/Pratt-Multipurpose-Packaging-KPR30241200R-Length/dp/B00AI652CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408061459&sr=8-1&keywords=pratt+kraft+paper+1200?

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

I prefer to use shipping paper over air packs but I'm running low.  Is this my best option (quoted from Exciter1's original post)?  I'd like to have plenty on hand for the holidays.  I find my stress level goes way down when I can easily find boxes and shipping supplies.

Shipping Paper: 
Collect it when you receive shipments.
http://www.amazon.com/Pratt-Multipurpose-Packaging-KPR30241200R-Length/dp/B00AI652CM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408061459&sr=8-1&keywords=pratt+kraft+paper+1200?

Yes, that's still the best price.  My last two orders dating back to June 2014 have been $26 each.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, redcell said:

What pound weight is that paper?  I've been buying my paper from Uline because I can't figure out how heavy the Amazon paper is.

According to Frank's Car Parts, he says it's 30lb basis weight paper. :)

http://frankcarparts.com/p/Solenoids/detail/B00AI652CM/Pratt-Multipurpose-Kraft-Paper-Sheet-for-Packaging-Wrap-KPR30241200R-1200-Length-x-24-Width-Kraft.php

Same thing at Greysharky.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pratt-Multipurpose-Kraft-Paper-Sheet-for-Packaging-Wrap-KPR30241200R-1200-Leng-/171795196927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27ffcaabff

We always use fresh bubble wrap, it's not cheap, but save any you get and those "air bags" for spacers. Using paper for spacers starts to add to the weight.

With paper, go to a printing place, your newspaper will always have 'end rolls', usually their free some newspapers charge. there is no printing on them and they are light weight. The Mayor

• Like 1