Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

1 hour ago, Redtree said:

I'm looking to buy a scale to check the weight of my sets before selling them to make sure all the pieces are there. Does anybody have a good scale that they can recommend. I'd like to use the scale for checking the weight of my sets and also to use for when I ship my sets too. Thanks for any advice!  

I've got a kitchen scale as well. As mentioned, good up to a certain size but probably not going to work for huge exclusives like TB, SOH, GBHQ etc. However, I've found a nice little trick to weighing the exclusives in shipping box.... As Pete indicates, due to the physical size of most kitchen scales, the screen showing your weight gets overlapped by the box edge and you can't see underneath to catch the numbers. If you take a smaller empty box closer to the dimensions of the scale itself, place that on first then zero it. Then place your big box centered on top. The extra gap provided by the second box should allow viewing of the screen. 

• 2 weeks later...
20 minutes ago, BrickSamurai said:

Anyone have the right ship box size for 4842 Hogwarts Castle and also where to the box itself, Staple, Uline, USPS box etc...?

Also is there a list of sets with all the ship box size in one location like a spreadsheet?

Thanks in Advance the help.

Have you looked in the first post in this thread?

3 minutes ago, BrickSamurai said:

Yes but I didn't see a ship box size for 4842 Hogwarts Castle on the list.

You can lookup the dimensions of the set and compare to other sets of similar size.

24x16x4 - Helm's Deep, Vampyre Castle, Black Pearl, Friends Riding Camp, Parisian Restaurant, High Speed Passenger Train, Jabba's Palace

http://www.staples.com/24-x16-x4-Partners-Brand-Flat-Corrugated-Boxes-25-Bundle-24164-/product_481628.

Just now, exciter1 said:

You can lookup the dimensions of the set and compare to other sets of similar size.

24x16x4 - Helm's Deep, Vampyre Castle, Black Pearl, Friends Riding Camp, Parisian Restaurant, High Speed Passenger Train, Jabba's Palace

Ahh OK - thanks for the tip and help...

On 2/17/2016 at 10:55 AM, Kenxxx said:

Does anyone here ever buy air pillows... and from where?  I've never thrown one away. Always saved and reused them. I used to have so many, I thought I would never run out... but I have.

Anyone remember this question?  First, thanks @pstebbing for solving my problem for the near term :)

... and second... I just had a "eureka moment":  If you really like packing with air pillows, and are afraid you might run out... next time you're at the dollar store or Walmart, buy a package of kids' party balloons! That would totally work, wouldn't it? I mean, I haven't tried it... I'm sure they weigh a few grams more than a genuine air pillow, but seems like it would do the trick? And would take up a lot less space until you are ready to use them.

1 minute ago, Kenxxx said:

Anyone remember this question?  First, thanks @pstebbing for solving my problem for the near term :)

... and second... I just had a "eureka moment":  If you really like packing with air pillows, and are afraid you might run out... next time you're at the dollar store or Walmart, buy a package of kids' party balloons! That would totally work, wouldn't it? I mean, I haven't tried it... I'm sure they weigh a few grams more than a genuine air pillow, but seems like it would do the trick? And would take up a lot less space until you are ready to use them.

You'd have to change your store name to: "The Party's in the Box"

• Like 1

On 2/21/2016 at 4:03 PM, Redtree said:

I'm looking to buy a scale to check the weight of my sets before selling them to make sure all the pieces are there. Does anybody have a good scale that they can recommend. I'd like to use the scale for checking the weight of my sets and also to use for when I ship my sets too. Thanks for any advice!  

I use this one (currently $18), says it works up to 55 lbs.  When I've checked the weight prior to shipping, then taken the item to the post office, the weight they get there has always been dead-on the same, so I've been happy with it. But it is tricky to read the display when weighing a large box. 

• 3 weeks later...

There is a coupon code for $15 off $50 worth of shipping supplies at Staples. Code is  25163. I was able to use it twice. I know it isn't much but combined with the 30% off gift cards I got from ebay last week (15% off sale plus 15% off coupon code) I was able to place a couple orders that were effectively almost 43% off total. So actually better than the normal 40% off code with no gc for me anyway. I still have yet to have a staples gc at the same time the 40% off sale rolls around. I would have waited but I was down to zero packing paper, 10 labels and one 24x16 box.

Edited by MarxMarvelous

I love knowing all the box sizes! Especially knowing I have a 60052 Cargo Train chugging down the line from amazon. Paid 142.99 free 2 day shipping. I love knowing the box from the top of that list is coming finally... woot!

Tell me if you think I overpaid but I've been looking for days/weeks for better...

Edited by GonzoBrick
Pricing

I love knowing all the box sizes! Especially knowing I have a 60052 Cargo Train chugging down the line from amazon. Paid 142.99 free 2 day shipping. I love knowing the box from the top of that list is coming finally... woot!

Tell me if you think I overpaid but I've been looking for days/weeks for better...

It's a great starter train set. I got one one at the same deal for Christmas for the kiddos. Myself included. We love it. Don't worry about the price of this set. Worry about all the other train sets you are about to acquire.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rodeogeorge said:

It's a great starter train set. I got one one at the same deal for Christmas for the kiddos. Myself included. We love it. Don't worry about the price of this set. Worry about all the other train sets you are about to acquire.

And worry about how much you will plunk down for cool train sets LEGO no longer makes. Maersk train, 2x Horizon express, perhaps an Emerald Night.

• Like 1

Yeah as soon as I saw it all I knew I wanted a second train... I heard straight track is the most expensive and that lego only sells it in large train sets. That true?

Also, the 60052 car go train has been a hit from the whole family which is my 16 month old boy and wife. I've been collecting lots of city sets basically anything in production currently. Lots of 20 dollar sets. Our collection  has over 20 sets and a big lot of classic stuff now. The train is the biggest purchase so far. I plan to stick with trains that are in production and add them as lego releases new ones. There are 2 in production currently maybe 3 right?

Thanks for reading!

On 4/1/2016 at 11:47 PM, GonzoBrick said:

Yeah as soon as I saw it all I knew I wanted a second train... I heard straight track is the most expensive and that lego only sells it in large train sets. That true?

Bricklink is always your friend for questions like this...

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItemIn.asp?P=53401&in=S

What you heard was false, 8 pieces of straight track are available in two "sets" - 7499 and 7896... however, the chances of finding the better 7896 set in a store are low. Finding 7499 is possible and it's available for a good price on Bricklink.

http://alpha.bricklink.com/pages/clone/catalogitem.page?S=7499-1#T=S&O={%22reg%22:%223%22}

I have also found eBay sellers who will accept decent offers on buying multiples and get them to toss the boxes to lower shipping costs if for personal use. You'll never sell the track anyways. ;)