Materials guide for LEGO selling & shipping including postage box sizes

2 hours ago, MinifigW said:

Does this look about right to you shipping experts? For USPS Parcel ground CBP? Just want to make sure it doesn't look wildly off before I add the info to BL

Screen Shot 2016-11-21 at 2.21.12 PM.png

What do you want to do with this? Sounds horribly complicated for your average customer to figure out.

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

What do you want to do with this? Sounds horribly complicated for your average customer to figure out.

37 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Sorry@MinifigW I don't sell on BL so I'm going to leave it up to others on here that do. But I thought BL was set up to request a shipping quote?

I have seen this implemented with other stores, and I personally find it helpful to be able to find a rough estimate of cost. 

(Scroll down to shipping)

http://www.bricklink.com/store/home.page?p=IndoorJungle&utm_content=globalnav#/terms

It still advises customers to submit a quote for most accurate shipping estimation. I'm open to suggestions.

Edited by MinifigW

3 minutes ago, MinifigW said:

I have seen this implemented with other stores, and I personally find it helpful to be able to find a rough estimate of cost. 

http://www.bricklink.com/store/home.page?p=IndoorJungle&utm_content=globalnav#/terms

It still advises customers to submit a quote for most accurate shipping estimation. I'm open to suggestions.

I have mine set up to charge First Class Ground based on weight up to 15.9oz (flat rate for the entire US), plus Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate box for anything over 1lbs, with a note that if I can ship it cheaper, I will and will quote the actual cost. But check out how the bigger stores do their shipping (Toysburg, Constructibles etc.). You'll see simplicity over precision.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Phil B said:

I have mine set up to charge First Class Ground based on weight up to 15.9oz (flat rate for the entire US), plus Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate box for anything over 1lbs, with a note that if I can ship it cheaper, I will and will quote the actual cost. But check out how the bigger stores do their shipping (Toysburg, Constructibles etc.). You'll see simplicity over precision.

Are you selling bricks or sets though? 90% off my business is sets. I'm trying this out for a while, revisions will probably happen.

3 minutes ago, minicoopers11 said:

This really goes out the window and can become risky for sets only sellers, especially when going international. Balloon rates, dimensional weights, max dimensions varying by destination country, etc....

True. I was referring only to the US market - I have a simple "quote" function for anything international, and anything too large I list with a simple "No International Shipping" disclaimer on the listing. Had a few "purchases" from overseas that had to be cancelled because buyers didn't realize shipping costs about as much as the set itself.

What I am trying to say was this: If you need to post the entire USPS International Shipping table, your customers are going to ignore it anyways. That's where coming up with something simpler is going to benefit you. But there are tons of more experienced shippers here who will have their own opinion on how to do this - hence me suggesting to look at the policies of some of the bigger stores on BL.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Phil B said:

True. I was referring only to the US market - I have a simple "quote" function for anything international, and anything too large I list with a simple "No International Shipping" disclaimer on the listing. Had a few "purchases" from overseas that had to be cancelled because buyers didn't realize shipping costs about as much as the set itself.

What I am trying to say was this: If you need to post the entire USPS International Shipping table, your customers are going to ignore it anyways. That's where coming up with something simpler is going to benefit you. But there are tons of more experienced shippers here who will have their own opinion on how to do this - hence me suggesting to look at the policies of some of the bigger stores on BL.

I see what your saying. I'm spiting it into two sections, one for smaller orders (First class mail, simple chart, no zoning or other things to figure out), and one for larger orders, with the detailed estimation process.

Edited by MinifigW

Oh my! That is a lot to read.

I mean this most constructively!

By the time I get down to the actual shipping info I'm not sure I'd have the energy to then sort out the chart. I've always found the zone method to be most eye glazing.

I'm with Phil B - as much as you can KISS.

Are you otherwise overwhelmed with quote requests?

11 hours ago, Cozei said:

Oh my! That is a lot to read.

I mean this most constructively!

By the time I get down to the actual shipping info I'm not sure I'd have the energy to then sort out the chart. I've always found the zone method to be most eye glazing.

I'm with Phil B - as much as you can KISS.

Are you otherwise overwhelmed with quote requests?

What would you suggest then? Should I simply do one chart for larger orders with a range of the prices for that particular weight? (Eg: .5-1 pound $5.90 -7.49)

What would you suggest then? Should I simply do one chart for larger orders with a range of the prices for that particular weight? (Eg: .5-1 pound $5.90 -7.49)

I think what he's saying is that your postal prices chart isn't your only problem.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to have so much in your terms, but seriously and I mean this with respect, I would hesitate buying from you. Too much to read, to many "if else then" conditions, just WAY too much to read.

I gave up before I ever got to the pricing tables and then just scanned the rest as I scrolled by and said "wow, that's the longest terms page I've ever seen on BL."
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gregpj said:

I think what he's saying is that your postal prices chart isn't your only problem.

I'm not sure why you feel the need to have so much in your terms, but seriously and I mean this with respect, I would hesitate buying from you. Too much to read, to many "if else then" conditions, just WAY too much to read.

I gave up before I ever got to the pricing tables and then just scanned the rest as I scrolled by and said "wow, that's the longest terms page I've ever seen on BL."

I'm starting to think that I went way overboard in my quest to be as accurate and informative as possible. Revisions currently in progress, and thanks for your feedback.

8 minutes ago, MinifigW said:

I'm starting to think that I went way overboard in my quest to be as accurate and informative as possible. Revisions currently in progress, and thanks for your feedback.

Here's an exercise for you: Set up shop on BrickOwl.com first (you can use @Stragus's excellent BrickSync software later to synchronize inventory between BL and BO, just make sure to thank him for it in an appropriate manner). They force you to define shipping methods that autocalculate the price of a shipment (though there is a quote option, using that option puts you at the back of the pack in terms of customers wanting to shop with you). It will make you go through the pain of having to sort it all out, and typically makes you think "oh to hell with it, I'll just put in some generic bands and potentially eat the difference where needed". Then copy that setup into your BL terms and do the same.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phil B said:

Here's an exercise for you: Set up shop on BrickOwl.com first (you can use @Stragus's excellent BrickSync software later to synchronize inventory between BL and BO, just make sure to thank him for it in an appropriate manner). They force you to define shipping methods that autocalculate the price of a shipment (though there is a quote option, using that option puts you at the back of the pack in terms of customers wanting to shop with you). It will make you go through the pain of having to sort it all out, and typically makes you think "oh to hell with it, I'll just put in some generic bands and potentially eat the difference where needed". Then copy that setup into your BL terms and do the same.

I may have to try that. For now I made major revisions to both my terms and shipping policy. What do you guys think:

http://www.bricklink.com/store/home.page?p=IndoorJungle#/terms

(I don't know what that black bar below is. I cannot delete it for some reason)

Edited by gregpj
black bar deleted :)

10 minutes ago, MinifigW said:

I may have to try that. For now I made major revisions to both my terms and shipping policy. What do you guys think:

I would stick to your "Savings made simple" slogan and make it simple.  Just state anything below 16 oz will be delivered via USPS first class mail, otherwise you'll charge priority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gregpj said:

Too much to read, to many "if else then" conditions, just WAY too much to read.

Grepj is grepping it as usual. And Phil B is more instructive than me. Personally I don't have a problem with a bit more info than what lazuli16's proposing. 

Hopefully the Bricklink audience is a bit more grownup than other marketplaces and free shipping hasn't come to reign. When I order parts I know there will be shipping. As you seem to be more of a Set seller perhaps this is more complex than for just part sellers.

I think the "if else then" that Grepj mentions are a problem. Also comments that here are shipping estimates, but sometimes it costs less. If I tell my son I might give him a cookie after lunch he will be really pissed if I don't. As an adult I'm slightly less immature, but setting possible expectations that don't happen is muddying the water. Offer a fair price for a service. Consistency is better.

I'm not a big Bricklink seller, so my criticism should be taken more from a buyer's perspective. At 300 orders you seem under way.

The small order chart can easily be simplified to 2-3 ranges at most. Some weights have the same price and others are .10 diff. I could possibly spend $100 on 6-9oz of parts. I don't care about $.10 diff in shipping. Of course there are many types of buyers.

I have seen the zone charts on some larger stores so you're not alone here. I don't have an immediate thought to simplify these charts, but are you really selling much in the 10-20lb range? If I buy a Kylo Ren shuttle and a Ghost ship together from you my cart still only says <8lbs. Most of your inventory isn't very heavy. 

For example I know a box packed Metalbeard ship is about 13.5lbs. And a packed ISD is 8.5lbs. 

I just reloaded your terms and it looks like large order chart is getting much better. If a customer is sweating a $5-10 difference they can contact you. Now take a knife to that small order chart.

I find the cart weight as an estimate to be misleading anyway, obviously it neglects packaging, and I would think this would be worse as a set seller than for parts. Maybe with your experience there is a way to give your customers guidance on how much to over estimate cart weight for set packing. There is a large difference between a well packed set and a densely stuffed parts package.

Good Luck!

Edited by Cozei
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cozei said:

Grepj is grepping it as usual. And Phil B is more instructive than me. Personally I don't have a problem with a bit more info than what lazuli16's proposing. 

Hopefully the Bricklink audience is a bit more grownup than other marketplaces and free shipping hasn't come to reign. When I order parts I know there will be shipping. As more of a Set seller perhaps this is more complex than just part sellers.

I think the "if else then" that Grepj mentions are a problem. Also comments that here are shipping estimates, but sometimes it costs less. If I tell my son I might give hime a cookie after lunch he will be really pissed if I don't. As an adult I'm slightly less immature, but setting possible expectations that don't happen is muddying the water. Offer a fair price for a service. Consistency is better.

I'm not a big Bricklink seller, so my criticism should be taken more from a buyer's perspective. At 300 orders you seem under way.

The small order chart can easily be simplified to 2-3 ranges at most. Some weights have the same price and others are .10 diff. I could possibly spend $100 on 6-9oz of parts. I don't care about $.10 diff in shipping. Of course there are me many types of buyers.

I have seen the zone charts on some larger stores so you're not alone here. I don't have an immediate thought to simplify these charts, but are you really selling much in the 10-20lb range. If I buy a Kylo Ren shuttle and a Ghost ship together from you my cart still only says <8lbs. Most of your inventory isn't very heavy. 

For example I know a box packed Metalbeard ship is about 13.5lbs. And a packed ISD is 8.5lbs. 

I just reloaded your terms and it looks like large order chart is getting much better. If a customer is sweating a $5-10 difference they can contact you. Now take a knife to that small order chart.

I find the cart weight as an estimate to be misleading anyway, obviously it neglects packaging, and I would think this would be worse as a set seller than for parts. Maybe with your experience there is a way to give your customers guidance on how much to over estimate cart weight for set packing. There is a large difference between a well packed set and a densely stuffed parts package.

Good Luck!

Thanks for your help!

Try checking the rate charts now. I believe it to be much better and probably my final draft for now.

Thanks again!

16 minutes ago, MinifigW said:

Thanks for your help!

Try checking the rate charts now. I believe it to be much better and probably my final draft for now.

Thanks again!

Much better in the Shipping Policy. Personally I feel like there is still too much to scroll by to get there, but you are going for a certain style store and don't let me deter you from that. I find that BrickLink's separation of the Store Terms and Shipping to be slightly annoying. 

If you want to stick with the terms and unique store terminology/offers, I don't think there is anything from preventing you from sticking the shipping in the middle of the terms zone. Maybe the store promotion type things are at the top, or move them to the Splash page. (Splash page versus Shop and Terms are another BrickLink problem.) Then put the disclaimer type stuff under the shipping info. Remember it is the Terms page that is seen at checkout, not the shipping policy. Right?

Again, personally I feel that if you don't see both the Terms and Shipping headers before scrolling on a 20-24" monitor you have too much somewhere, most like in Terms. See attached image for what I mean about headers (it is a screen shot in one view), but on the other hand I find how dense this page (Constructibles, why not pick on them?) annoying. Same but different to scroll induced eye glaze.

As I said you are heading in a much better direction. Cheers.

screengrab-2016-11-22.JPG

Edited by Cozei
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, MinifigW said:

Thanks for your help!

Thanks again!

Oh the whole, much better. :)

A few things .. 1) don't paint yourself into a corner. 

I will do my best to fill an order ASAP. However, there will be times I am super busy and will not be able to ship for a couple days. Most orders ship 1-24 hours after payment.

Just say "Most orders ship within 1-2 business days. Larger orders may take slightly longer."

2) Your Liability Notice while nice in theory, doesn't mean squat if a customer files a case through PayPal. Under certain circumstances, it is absolutely your responsibility to ensure the parcel is delivered. Damages during transit become the receiver's responsibility to recover unless they refuse shipment. Lost parcels are ALWAYS your responsibility unless you ship with tracking and it says delivered. Even then, PayPal has it's own set of rules with respect to when signature confirmation is required.

I have no problem with making a statement about insurance, but be careful not to overstate your responsibilities as the shipper.

3) Be careful of recycled boxes. In Canada, if Canada Post can prove you recycled a box, you are not covered by insurance for damaged parcels. Obviously lost ones are impossible to prove.

4) I'm glad your free gift isn't a Worriz Fire Bike.

5) I read the whole thing this time. :)

Just remember that the people shopping in your store aren't your friends. They are your customers. You can speak to them and keep it short... Example:

Need help? Still unsure of shipping cost? Submit a quote or contact us, we will let you know of the shipping cost or help you with your order.

If you're still not sure about shipping costs, please submit a quote request or contact us directly. 

Really, it's not saying less but just less wordy.

Either way, it's a ton better, nice trimming.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Need help? Still unsure of shipping cost? Submit a quote or contact us, we will let you know of the shipping cost or help you with your order.

If you're still not sure about shipping costs, please submit a quote request or contact us directly. 

#1 Grepj fan here.

9 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Oh the whole, much better. :)

A few things .. 1) don't paint yourself into a corner. 

I will do my best to fill an order ASAP. However, there will be times I am super busy and will not be able to ship for a couple days. Most orders ship 1-24 hours after payment.

Just say "Most orders ship within 1-2 business days. Larger orders may take slightly longer."

2) Your Liability Notice while nice in theory, doesn't mean squat if a customer files a case through PayPal. Under certain circumstances, it is absolutely your responsibility to ensure the parcel is delivered. Damages during transit become the receiver's responsibility to recover unless they refuse shipment. Lost parcels are ALWAYS your responsibility unless you ship with tracking and it says delivered. Even then, PayPal has it's own set of rules with respect to when signature confirmation is required.

I have no problem with making a statement about insurance, but be careful not to overstate your responsibilities as the shipper.

3) Be careful of recycled boxes. In Canada, if Canada Post can prove you recycled a box, you are not covered by insurance for damaged parcels. Obviously lost ones are impossible to prove.

4) I'm glad your free gift isn't a Worriz Fire Bike.

5) I read the whole thing this time. :)

Just remember that the people shopping in your store aren't your friends. They are your customers. You can speak to them and keep it short... Example:

Thanks for your help! Edits in progress. I may have plagiarized your less wordy quote statement ;) 

I ship all packages with delivery confirmation. After 300 orders, I have only had one case of package theft (Last November), which the buyer filed a claim with USPS. (Even funnier, the same buyer just ordered from me again yesterday) 

I also amended the Liability statement and the Recycling boxes thing.

Thanks again, you guys are lifesavers.

Small thing...

You might put your "shipping from zip" code somewhere obvious near the charts (and a direct link to USPS estimator). I couldn't find it when I was doing the price checking against the big charts. You could leave it there for the more investigative shopper that wants a better estimate before jumping to quote request. Can't remember that I've seen this on any other store pages, but Californina is a large place. I always assume Californians ship from 90210 when I need to guess. ;-)

Also you mention UPS but never mention under what circumstances you use it...

Tighten up that Shipping Methods zone too, specifically the description for each shipping method.

• Like 2