First Copy of the Brickpicker Book is in the House

For those of you who might want to figure out how to find those "hidden gems" we have been talking about lately on the forums, this book can aid in that quest.  I spent more than a half a year researching and writing about many of the major (and not so major) themes and some of the most important sets from each.  For the novices and beginners out there, there is a tremendous amount of information in this book about LEGO sets as collectibles.  Even veterans of the LEGO collecting and investing world might learn a thing or two (...or at least enjoy the pictures...LOL).    

• Like 6

Just pre-ordered a copy and excited to read through it. Plus, I figured it was a small way to say thanks to you gentlemen for this informative website and all the knowledge found in the forums. A day doesn't go by that I do not at least browse BP.

Thanks Again.

Feeling the same way! :)

• Like 1

Just pre-ordered a copy and excited to read through it. Plus, I figured it was a small way to say thanks to you gentlemen for this informative website and all the knowledge found in the forums. A day doesn't go by that I do not at least browse BP.

Thanks Again.

Exactly!

I guess the next question is, when and where is the book signing going to be?

Congrats guys!

• Like 1

Just realized the preview of the book contents is out... not remembering seeing them yesterday.

They are hinting the sets to hoard! Or aren't they?

Anyway, it is $18.25 now on Amazon from pre-order!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1440244820/?

Sometimes the Publishers take some liberties. The book is written from a "collectibles" point of view, but I guess any collectible can be hoarded.

Ed, opposed to some of your previous statements, the book seems to be VERY MUCH INDEED about LEGO investing. I have to say I am a bit shocked about that fact now...

Considering the fact that people who view LEGO sets as collectibles and those who view them as investments care about similar information and data, I can see where someone could draw that conclusion.  Will it help a novice LEGO investor or collector, absolutely.  Honestly, if we made a book about LEGO investing, it would be called The Ultimate Guide to LEGO Investing, or some derivation thereof.  

Edited by Ed Mack
  • Like 1

Considering the fact that people who view LEGO sets as collectibles and those who view them as investments care about similar information and data, I can see where someone could draw that conclusion.  Will it help a novice LEGO investor or collector, absolutely.  Honestly, if we made a book about LEGO investing, it would be called The Ultimate Guide to LEGO Investing, or some derivation thereof.  

"Dont' judge a book by its cover" seems to apply here literally. On the cover it reads "Ultimate Guide to Collectible Lego Sets", suggesting it focuses on collecting, but right in the introduction in the section "How to use this book", it says: "...Within each chapter, we list and analyze the top sets of a theme from the standpoint of profitability and Return on Investment (ROI)...", followed by a section called "Why invest in LEGO bricks?" in which one can read "...the main purpose of this book is to discuss the values of a multitude of LEGO sets..." and "...Here are some things a novice should look for when choosing LEGO sets for investments:...".

I don't know what you originally wanted to focus on and what the publisher made of it, but for me, the contents of this book seem to be at least as much about investing as they are about collecting - even if the cover is suggesting something else. I agree that collectors and investors are both interested in values, but just by reading the introduction an investment tone is set right from the beginng. In the end, if "all" you say is that collectors can fund their hobby by investing, the book IS in fact an investing guide.

As a member of this forum, I would not want to promote this book, cutting the ground from under my own investor's feet even more, since more people would get interested in investing. I don't know how much you potentially bit in your own hand by publishing this book, being a big time investor yourself. Or are you planning on retiring? In this case you might of course not mind new investors joining the club.

However, it seems to be a nice read, but from the perspective of a forum member and investor I feel a bit of a stomach ache now...

Edited by rfish