LEGO Bans - Open Discussion

IMDeus

• 6 years later...

I had a conversation with a senior lego public figure. Legos policy is to ban if you are buying multiples of large products, there may be exceptions but that's the rule.

They admit they can't stop you buying from target etc but they really want to kill the secondary market, because they want tk make models available to all.

The caveat though is before action takes place they need to tie your purchases to an online reselling business. Note the word business.

Additionally the high level visible lego employee was pleased when we started discussing The Tumbler. They alluded to that being an experiment for them, in terms of announcing online that jt would not be in stock until after Christmas, all the time knowing that it would be. Essentially they leaned towards suggesting that they enjoyed watching 'investors' panic buy and then for themselves to reflood the markets, lowering the secondary market values.

UCS MF....no specifics.....but that model came up as an example of something that they would like to correct, as they are pissed that people hoarded that one and are 5x msrp minimum.

Well, their experiment failed. Many regular consumers failed to get the product online and had no access to a LEGO store and many resellers took advantage of this shortage and sold their Tumblers for a profit and restocked after the holidays.

As for a new Falcon, bring it on. It will be a different version, with different characters and a whole new investment opportunity.

• Like 1

They are ruthless when it comes to taking down the secondary market for items they are still currently producing and selling. From conversations I have had they have no problem with the aftermarket for their retired sets and will gladly refer you to bricklink or ebay. IMO the original minecraft debacle (which was very damaging to their brand) really pushed them to clamp down in the USA.

LEGO is targeting new customers with a particular buying pattern or older customers with excessive purchases that go against their set limits. As you have stated, LEGO does not like direct competition when selling non retired sets. Retired sets are another animal altogether. They love seeing their product appreciate as a collectible.

Why argue with Lego about being a reseller when you are? I don't get that. It's not going to work anyway (no one here has gotten *out* of a ban that I know of). I don't like the policy either, but if Lego decides to ban me for being a reseller - even though I've got 8 Lego-loving children so as good of an excuse as anyone for why I buy multiples of any set, I'll take it like a man. There's very little in this world worth lying about, neither Lego nor money make the list.

• Like 3

Why argue with Lego about being a reseller when you are? I don't get that. It's not going to work anyway (no one here has gotten *out* of a ban that I know of). I don't like the policy either, but if Lego decides to ban me for being a reseller - even though I've got 8 Lego-loving children so as good of an excuse as anyone for why I buy multiples of any set, I'll take it like a man. There's very little in this world worth lying about, neither Lego nor money make the list.

I'm not arguing with them about anything. I was accused of being involved with "various online auction sites" as I said before I want to know where else I should be involved selling as far as I know eBay is the only place. They claim to have tied me to more. I simply asked for the information they used to ban me, for all I know they could have found my one item I have on the BP sell site. The more information they will give the easier it will be to work around. As a result I received 16 emails telling me they don't sell to resellers. Seems very unprofessional. There has to be something that sets them off, this particular ban was all for sale items mostly magnets and movie sets. Also the address, and name is not the ban method because two accounts that got shut down had different addresses, but the third one has the same address and name as the first banned account. The ip may be the only thing I am going to try in the future behind a IP changer to see what happens. Say what you want against me, but this has drove everyone crazy the entire year I have been reading the forums and I just want to know all the ways around it I can.

• Like 1

I'm not arguing with them about anything. I was accused of being involved with "various online auction sites" as I said before I want to know where else I should be involved selling as far as I know eBay is the only place. They claim to have tied me to more. I simply asked for the information they used to ban me, for all I know they could have found my one item I have on the BP sell site. The more information they will give the easier it will be to work around. As a result I received 16 emails telling me they don't sell to resellers. Seems very unprofessional. There has to be something that sets them off, this particular ban was all for sale items mostly magnets and movie sets. Also the address, and name is not the ban method because two accounts that got shut down had different addresses, but the third one has the same address and name as the first banned account. The ip may be the only thing I am going to try in the future behind a IP changer to see what happens. Say what you want against me, but this has drove everyone crazy the entire year I have been reading the forums and I just want to know all the ways around it I can.

I am not sure why they are obligated to tell you all the dirt they thought they found about you.  They only needed to associate your account with 1 selling venue for the ban.  The rest was just noise for them.

Plus, why would they want to waste their time helping a non-customer (ie. someone who was banned) ? i.e What is the upside for them in helping you ?

Edited by Darth_Raichu

i talked my way out of a ban...  haven't bought many legos from LEGO Shop at Home since. 

• Like 1

I am not sure why they are obligated to tell you all the dirt they thought they found about you.  They only needed to associate your account with 1 selling venue for the ban.  The rest was just noise for them.

Plus, why would they want to waste their time helping a non-customer (ie. someone who was banned) ? i.e What is the upside for them in helping you ?

Why would they waste their time sending 16 emails. 

Hi,

How can you tell if you are banned form lego VIP? I have 2 large orders, but when I log into lego.com, it logs me in, but still says on top right ARE YOU A VIP MEMBER (Signup or SIGN IN) even though im logged into lego.com shop.

Or is there a bug at their site today? I havent received any banned email or messages when I log into the lego shop.

Also, can they ban you from buying or just fromt heir VIP program?

I cant even view my past orders on their site or check order status right now whether they are canceled or not.

thx,

lc

Edited by caltech

Let talk about a remedy for this banned thing.

Bypass the vip program? (try using the same info but just don't take the points, sign in as a guest.)

Use new info?...Use your wife, girlfriend, kids, mom, dad, friends etc. 
I wonder if they ban your name, email, cc, ship to address, ip address.
Has anyone that has been banned tried any alternatives?

The simple solution is to have your friends and family members buy it for you and you just go pick it up at their home.

The key is to receive the goods at your house without getting others involved.
There's got to be a way where you can still receive the goods at your house.
Whats the solution?

Guest TabbyBoy

I did not know Tabbyboy had his own online tv-show!

I thought my ears were burning.  LEGO haven't said a thing about my back-to-back orders of RI sets.  LOL - I've also been ordering lots of those half-price Friends phone holder sets.  A great-value set that accommodates a smartphone can only explode in value, don't you think?

BTW... Are you Italian or German?

Let talk about a remedy for this banned thing.

Bypass the vip program? (try using the same info but just don't take the points, sign in as a guest.)

Use new info?...Use your wife, girlfriend, kids, mom, dad, friends etc. 

I wonder if they ban your name, email, cc, ship to address, ip address.

Has anyone that has been banned tried any alternatives?

The simple solution is to have your friends and family members buy it for you and you just go pick it up at their home.

The key is to receive the goods at your house without getting others involved.

There's got to be a way where you can still receive the goods at your house.

Whats the solution?

Let's not give the ban enforcers more ideas.

Let talk about a remedy for this banned thing....

Whats the solution?

I hear you!  My third account was banned. The 16 emails I received were Auto generated according to *****, not very likely. I did a few searches and came across a blog that someone claiming to work at Lego was a member on BP warning against *****. I think my big mistake was the lack of anonymity. I am considering a few ideas to try, mostly for fun, just how many man hours a week does Lego want to spend turning away customers. Since I am already blocked I have nothing to lose and much to gain to find the combination that works. I'm curious if anyone has ever transferred a banned VIP card to another address and managed to get an order.

Edited by exciter1
edited for content