LEGO Bans - Open Discussion

IMDeus

• 6 years later...

The weird thing to me about the LEGO bans, is they have to basically know/figure out who some resellers are, but they only choose to ban some people. What I am curious about is what the magic triggers are that they decide some resellers should be banned and others not.

I am sure many of us here who haven't gotten banned have ordered way more than a normal consumer could possibly use and have not gotten slapped down. So at some point they have to decide who is egregious enough, somehow.

I still need my BAN Icon for my Kmart banning. ;)

I had a conversation with a senior lego public figure. Legos policy is to ban if you are buying multiples of large products, there may be exceptions but that's the rule.

They admit they can't stop you buying from target etc but they really want to kill the secondary market, because they want tk make models available to all.

The caveat though is before action takes place they need to tie your purchases to an online reselling business. Note the word business.

Additionally the high level visible lego employee was pleased when we started discussing The Tumbler. They alluded to that being an experiment for them, in terms of announcing online that jt would not be in stock until after Christmas, all the time knowing that it would be. Essentially they leaned towards suggesting that they enjoyed watching 'investors' panic buy and then for themselves to reflood the markets, lowering the secondary market values.

UCS MF....no specifics.....but that model came up as an example of something that they would like to correct, as they are pissed that people hoarded that one and are 5x msrp minimum.

• Like 1

They are ruthless when it comes to taking down the secondary market for items they are still currently producing and selling. From conversations I have had they have no problem with the aftermarket for their retired sets and will gladly refer you to bricklink or ebay. IMO the original minecraft debacle (which was very damaging to their brand) really pushed them to clamp down in the USA.

Edited by asharerin

Additionally the high level visible lego employee was pleased when we started discussing The Tumbler. They alluded to that being an experiment for them, in terms of announcing online that jt would not be in stock until after Christmas, all the time knowing that it would be. Essentially they leaned towards suggesting that they enjoyed watching 'investors' panic buy and then for themselves to reflood the markets, lowering the secondary market values.

So their new business model is to cause panic sending real customers scrambling to pay inflated secondary market prices, then "flooding" the market leaving customers who trusted their word holding the bag? My BS detector is flashing.

• Like 3

it is not official till u get the badge

Edit: it is official now

I feel so honored, I will wear this badge with pride! To help serve as an example to others. All shall  listen to the forums for they know.

FYI my handle is different on eBay, but my email is same. The email that has not been banned, as of Monday may have been by now, is also similar to the other ones.

I had a conversation with a senior lego public figure. Legos policy is to ban if you are buying multiples of large products, there may be exceptions but that's the rule.

They admit they can't stop you buying from target etc but they really want to kill the secondary market, because they want tk make models available to all.

The caveat though is before action takes place they need to tie your purchases to an online reselling business. Note the word business.

UCS MF....no specifics.....but that model came up as an example of something that they would like to correct, as they are pissed that people hoarded that one and are 5x msrp minimum.

I have to say, a lot of that sounds just...odd. Was this the senior lego figure by any chance?

71004_bag_crazycatlady.jpg

If they want to make these models available to all, then they should lower the prices and make every set available for special order forever even if they are only mass-produced for a year or two. Claiming otherwise is nonsense.

Lego wants to make money, and they want to cultivate a certain image. Their business model is highly lucrative and also directly creates/feeds the secondary market. Banning select unfortunates may make them feel good, but in the long run it can't change the secondary market dynamics - unless they change their business model. 

Edited by stoltzjl77

This is an interesting statement... So how do they know if you are a "business" or just some dude off the street selling a bunch of sets? This comment suggests that if you have an online "store" somewhere that you could be a target. That would be a pretty crappy way to determine if you indeed are.... The only way to somewhat verify that would be to purchase something from you and even then they wouldn't be able to directly tie that purchase back to the seller anyways.

The only other way would be to get access to your financials and then track you that way. Seems highly suspect.

I'm curious if anyone from Canada has been banned? I can't relate to privacy laws in the US (except in Health Care) but the rules up here are pretty strict (I've read them.... had to follow them for a previous job). Lego can't legally go fishing around for my information from any other business except their own (even subsidiaries) without my consent or a court order allowing them. If anyone from Canada has been banned, it would be an interesting experiment but there are legal ways to get the reason you've been banned from them.

Seems everyone missed the one I jumped on in my reply to Lego "Various auction sites" I demanded proof of these various sites, in case I am missing one I need to join. There is no pleasing these people I even offered to ship back every single purchase I made as proof I am not a reseller he declined. Unfortunately, I would have been able too since most of the things I have purchased were either for long hold or a flop.

oh wait just sold a flower cart guess I cant send it all back.

Edited by romoore245

Guest TabbyBoy

When I open my Toy Emporium one day, anybody can buy as much as they want while stocks last.  If I run out, Mummy can simply take Little Johnny somewhere else.  I understand the manufacturer having limits to protect its reputation but, not retailers.  I still think we account for <1% of LEGO's output.

So their new business model is to cause panic sending real customers scrambling to pay inflated secondary market prices, then "flooding" the market leaving customers who trusted their word holding the bag? My BS detector is flashing.

Real Customers did not panic buy. 'Investors' did.

You have a B.S detector? Cool.

I have to say, a lot of that sounds just...odd. Was this the senior lego figure by any chance?

What sounds odd about it. Attended an AFOL lego function in the U.S and ask any number of high Level lego people their opinions.

you seem to forget they are the number one toy maker in the world, that wields some power. They have no shareholders to answer to.

Why on earth do you think they publicly made the announcement that the Elsa castle would not be released until the new year, stating that it was not an important set for them. They didnt want people to be gouged for the product. Sure, this meant that it was not available to those that wanted it anyway, but at least they didnt pay over the odds for it.

Quite frankly if I was lego, I would love the 'investor' market as it basically sells more product, as with the Tumbler, they were never low they never ran out and there was enough stock for everyone. However - Lego is more than just a sales numbers company, it is a culture and they do what they like.

I am happy to next time not post what I gain from conversations, that will allow you to go on believing whatever it is you want to believe. I have no skin in the game.

I imagin it's a bit of a love/hate relationship LEGO has with investors. As you mention, revenue is generated, but I am sure they hate a couple things - A: Product Shortages of hot selling products, because that upsets and drives away "normal" consumers, and inflated prices of current prices when out of stock as customers aren't always smart enough to differentiate between a reseller and a LEGO outlet. They just know they had to pay XXX dollars for a set above MSRP and they are pissed off. LEGO have a reputation of being too expensive as is.

Similarly, I would say increasing resellers probably make it trickier for their R&D and Marketing department. Numbers aren't always accurate regarding supply and demand, since they have a hard time knowing what's being bought by customers as opposed to resellers in what volumes. Product cycles are planned years in advance, and skewed numbers can gum up the works.

So, all things considered I would say LEGO more or less tolerates some/most resellers (Again, I am sure the vast majority of us could be banned pretty easily from ShopLego if someone cared enough) 

But again, for those complaining, remember those same policies are basically what allows aftermarket prices to stay high. So we can't really complain. And I aware of very few, if any people - who were marked by LEGO as resellers and banned who weren't actually reselling. So... 

• Like 2