LEGO Bans - Open Discussion

IMDeus

• 4 years later...
10 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

this is what i believe and have posted and shared long time ago.

in my opinion, TRU shares buyers information with TLG. [ btw, TLG asks for all lego buyer information from all retailers/sellers]. some provide them and some don't. some provide only the retail not the bulk buyers information.

Toys R Us is the only retailer, i know of which actually shares all information with TLG. i am not sure how often or automated that review process is but

if one's purchase at TRU has increased significantly, then assume within 6(six) months certain action from TLG. 

if TRU ban-hammer been struck then definitely expect some action from TLG. 

also with regard to amazon, i don't know if there is such limit of 10 lifetime return. if there were something of that sort then i would have been banned a long time ago. i have been prime member since 2005 and i am pretty sure in last 11 years i have had over 10 returns or complaint.

its absolute certain that amazon does track complaint, return and etc.

they are very good at what they do, so its futile to try to circumvent their limit on quantity. they enforce that and will send you notification. you can get around for certain time by using different address/using different payment method etc. but they will catch you. they will send you nasty letter and after that they will ban you.

for note: i have been banned from:

a. TRU [ online ]

b. Kmart/Sears/SWY 

c. TLG [ online purchase ]

and yes i have received letter from amazon about my quantity restriction. i have complied and fortunately, i haven't been banned and/or account suspended. i have two accounts with amazon. personal and seller. and what i buy for resale only gets purchased from seller side [buy]. but still i don't buy anything/repeat what i buy at my personal account.

anything i buy for re-sale don't get returned to the retailer [ no matter what the damage and/or impact is ].

Edited by newbie77
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mhd747 said:

Not to alert people or make them paranoid, but I would stop posting pictures of lots of promos or openly stating you are buying above lego limits, if you want to superced them that's fine, I don't think it's wise to post stuff on Internet where it can be quite easy to track people and link accounts etc 

1f575.png

It's a tricky situation.  LEGO sends out multiple promos even though the small print says "one per household."  They could stop that if they wanted to, yet they know it will hurt sales if they do.

1 hour ago, Mhd747 said:

Not to alert people or make them paranoid, but I would stop posting pictures of lots of promos or openly stating you are buying above lego limits, if you want to superced them that's fine, I don't think it's wise to post stuff on Internet where it can be quite easy to track people and link accounts etc 

1f575.png

I have considered a paranoia possibility - but if it was as easy as that (purchase history from stores, or clicks from websites), people would be banned by the boat load (and they're not).

22 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

in my opinion, TRU shares buyers information with TLG. [ btw, TLG asks for all lego buyer information from all retailers/sellers]. some provide them and some don't. some provide only the retail not the bulk buyers information.

Toys R Us is the only retailer, i know of which actually shares all information with TLG. i am not sure how often or automated that review process is but

if one's purchase at TRU has increased significantly, then assume within 6(six) months certain action from TLG. 

I don't think that this is right.  My main account at TRU got banned last year and I haven't had any adverse action on LEGO Shop at Home even though I used the same email for both accounts and if anyone with half a brain looked at my buying patterns, they would scream reseller.

1 minute ago, KShine said:

I have considered a paranoia possibility - but if it was as easy as that (purchase history from stores, or clicks from websites), people would be banned by the boat load (and they're not).

i would say there is certain trigger that causes this. not sure about those triggers. but my guess is it has to do something with

a. total annual and/or rolling six months purchase [$ figure ]

b. total combined purchases from shared resources [ TRU & other retailers figure ]

c. business registration

d. online sales of promotional items.

6 minutes ago, redcell said:

I don't think that this is right.  My main account at TRU got banned last year and I haven't had any adverse action on LEGO Shop at Home even though I used the same email for both accounts and if anyone with half a brain looked at my buying patterns, they would scream reseller.

how many concurrent TRU account do you have? have you been banned at all of them? if not then i would say you are not in their radar.

[ personally, i had 3 accounts and they had banned all of those sequentially. one of them didn't have more than 6 purchase in over 3 years. ] within 90-120 days of this. i got letter from TLG that they have suspended my LEGO Shop at Home account. 

actually, there has been some back and forth. they sent me letter that they have suspended my account. and i assumed that they did. so after 3 months i placed an online order. it went through. so i went on my regular personal purchase for about another decent months before they kicked me out :P. last i checked i got those .... "we sell only to end consumers ".

Edited by newbie77

5 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Just from reading this thread for the past few years, having multiple, active accounts is THE major issue with any retailer. 

having two(2) is quite common if one is purchasing anything for resale from that vendor. 

i have same with every retailers, amazon, target, staples etc. one has Tax exemption and other don't. of course not with TLG. :) and of course after target stopped taking/selling to re-sellers. that account is dead.

Edited by newbie77

26 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

having two(2) is quite common if one is purchasing anything for resale from that vendor. 

i have same with every retailers, amazon, target, staples etc. one has Tax exemption and other don't. of course not with TLG. :) and of course after target stopped taking/selling to re-sellers. that account is dead.

Claiming  tax exempt status is probably THE second main issue getting banned from a retailer.  LOL.

• Like 2

If you buy loads of diapers and wipes, it totally throws them off.
  • Like 8

56 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:
Just from reading this thread for the past few years, having multiple, active accounts is THE major issue with any retailer. 

Any retailer I buy from, only one account, ever. Not because of ethics, buying power or laziness, it's all I've ever needed. Good deals will come, slow and steady.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, asharerin said:

For Amazon 10 returns gets your account flagged. After that any returns will get your account manually reviewed and they will tally up your activity and if you are a net money loser you will get one warning. Any return or concession asked for after that warning and you and everyone in your household / shipping addresses/ same IP are banned for life. If you are a net profit maker then you stay on until the next manual review. They limit purchases per household per week so you won't get banned ordering those limits. If you create multiple accounts to skirt the limits you will get one warning. Again if you keep skirting after the warning it is banned for life time. 

You really don't want to get banned from Amazon as they are almost impossible to find a workaround and in the future they are most likely to be supplying a significant chunk of your consumables. Lego ban is easy to get around but not really worth the hassle as their prices are awful. Lego just stings because alot of bricklinkers and LUGs got banned so they really hurt the brand and goodwill.

How do you know that 10 returns with Amazon? 

2 hours ago, newbie77 said:

i would say there is certain trigger that causes this. not sure about those triggers. but my guess is it has to do something with

a. total annual and/or rolling six months purchase [$ figure ]

b. total combined purchases from shared resources [ TRU & other retailers figure ]

c. business registration

d. online sales of promotional items.

Well something happened - but all of my purchase activity had been unquestionably scaled back.

Somehow, human intervention must have taken place, and the dept that would make such a call was somehow alerted.

Edited by KShine

8 minutes ago, KShine said:

Well something happened - but all of my purchase activity had been unquestionably scaled back.

Somehow, human intervention must have taken place, and the dept that would make such a call was somehow alerted.

yes that is correct. its mostly to do with some human intervention for whatever reason

3 hours ago, newbie77 said:

how many concurrent TRU account do you have? have you been banned at all of them? if not then i would say you are not in their radar.

[ personally, i had 3 accounts and they had banned all of those sequentially. one of them didn't have more than 6 purchase in over 3 years. ] within 90-120 days of this. i got letter from TLG that they have suspended my LEGO Shop at Home account. 

actually, there has been some back and forth. they sent me letter that they have suspended my account. and i assumed that they did. so after 3 months i placed an online order. it went through. so i went on my regular personal purchase for about another decent months before they kicked me out :P. last i checked i got those .... "we sell only to end consumers ".

I have 3 or 4 that I've used, but, up until December of last year, I only had one and that was the one that was banned.  I was definitely on their radar.  I spent the time that it took to work through their customer service system to get to the right department who confirmed that I had been banned because of my purchasing patterns.  They were very nice about it and said that I was still welcome to buy from the store.  They also said that I had been banned based on either my credit card number, address, or email address, but couldn't tell me which one.  I figured out that it was definitely the email address and not either of the other two.  This happened last December and I have been able to purchase at LEGO Shop at Home since, but I only buy from there once in a blue moon.

2 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

Claiming  tax exempt status is probably THE second main issue getting banned from a retailer.  LOL.

That's what got my first account banned at Target when they did the reseller sweep last year.  However, since then, I've been able to order through a new account without any trouble.  In fact, I have ordered more from Target over the past 6 months than any end user ever would without any trouble. 

5 minutes ago, redcell said:

I have 3 or 4 that I've used, but, up until December of last year, I only had one and that was the one that was banned.  I was definitely on their radar.  I spent the time that it took to work through their customer service system to get to the right department who confirmed that I had been banned because of my purchasing patterns.  They were very nice about it and said that I was still welcome to buy from the store.  They also said that I had been banned based on either my credit card number, address, or email address, but couldn't tell me which one.  I figured out that it was definitely the email address and not either of the other two.  This happened last December and I have been able to purchase at LEGO Shop at Home since, but I only buy from there once in a blue moon.

ditto this.

2 minutes ago, redcell said:

That's what got my first account banned at Target when they did the reseller sweep last year.  However, since then, I've been able to order through a new account without any trouble.  In fact, I have ordered more from Target over the past 6 months than any end user ever would without any trouble. 

that ban was BS and solely PR related. we played by the rules and got penalized for doing so...

I still find it absurd that LEGO spends manpower and resources to do this yet doesn't just reject purchases over the limit for a certain period like Amazon does. Not to mention these resources should be used to protect their intellectual property rights from the rampant counterfeiters overseas instead of worrying about the reseller market.

• Like 1