10214 - Tower Bridge

M4x18

If it's still sold out in a few months, then and only then will I put thought into it. And if I can't get it at MSRP then, which is slightly unlikely, then I'll happily pay $400, and someone will happily sell for $400 (lots of people sell at 30% ROI as a rule of business regardless of the set, or they just need to pay rent).

​You miss the point. The same stuff happened last year. We are in total uncertainty. Buy the set as you see fit but don't jump to conclusions. 

And about this set disappearing phenomenon. Sets disappear and come back in large, not just TB. When supply is low price is jacked up, Economics 101. Happened with Tumbler and other exclusives.

And yeah I get it that TB is old. It was old 2 years ago. These sets are living their own life, it may be here in 2020.

​Truth

Edited by Brickson

I have a TB I am currently sorting through that I found on eBay as a loose collection of bricks. SO MANY SMALL TAN PIECES, ARGH. Have been procrastinating on the tedium of sorting by working on the Ultimate 42009 (only the remote control left). But looks like an impressive set, not surprised the bloody thing has been around for donkey's years.

TB? In my humble opinion I think it's one of the safest Lego investments at the moment. Great set and a lot of rare tan bricks. How can you ever lose money in the long term.. especially when you find a good deal on it. 

Go get it while you can, as builder or investor, you won't regret it. It will do great once it is gone.

​You miss the point. The same stuff happened last year. We are in total uncertainty. Buy the set as you see fit but don't jump to conclusions. 

And about this set disappearing phenomenon. Sets disappear and come back in large, not just TB. When supply is low price is jacked up,Economics 101.Happened with Tumbler and other exclusives. (I've never seen Target do this on exclusives except at retirement) 

And yeah I get it that TB is old. It was old 2 years ago. These sets are living their own life, it may be here in 2020.

If you came here to tell people that we really don't know when items are going to retire, you completely wasted your time.  Obviously, no one here knows when something is going to retire.  Do you know the definition of speculation?  

NO I don't know when it is retiring! But I am SPECULATING that it is happening as we speak.   (That is the purpose of this thread.)  

And I do buy the sets I want...thanks for your permission.  

You are right, these sets may be here in 2020. Buy the sets you want but don't jump to conclusions.  

But basically long and short...I am speculating that this is retiring and you are speculating that its going to around for awhile.  

Edited by pickleboy

​If you came here to tell people that we really don't know when items are going to retire, you completely wasted your time.  Obviously, no one here knows when something is going to retire.  Do you know the definition of speculation?  

NO I don't know when it is retiring! But I am SPECULATING that it is happening as we speak.   (That is the purpose of this thread.)  

You are right, these sets may be here in 2020. Buy the sets you want but don't jump to conclusions.  

​Anybody thinks what he wants about retirement. But then state clearly that it is your personal opinion because currently we don't have anything that should point towards it.

And the purpose of this thread is speculation. Not almost outright defending that it is retiring. We have a situation that happened last year spring too. What does it tell us then? Nothing. 

Speculating is one thing, using and defending wrong arguments is another and we don't like it.

​If you came here to tell people that we really don't know when items are going to retire, you completely wasted your time.  Obviously, no one here knows when something is going to retire.  Do you know the definition of speculation?  

But basically long and short...I am speculating that this is retiring and you are speculating that its going to around for awhile.  

​I think Inversion's point wasn't about it being just speculative (which isn't up for debate I think) but that the current indications aren't any different from the ones a year ago.

We should just ignore any possible signs of retirement and buy whatever we want. Sold out everywhere? Who cares, that happened before. Limit raised or dropped at S&H? That means nothing. TOOS? That happened all the time with other sets. Production codes from more than a year ago? We can't be really sure what those codes mean. They're pointless anyway. If you like any set as an investment, buy some. Period. 

• Like 2

​Anybody thinks what he wants about retirement. But then state clearly that it is your personal opinion because currently we don't have anything that should point towards it.

And the purpose of this thread is speculation. Not almost outright defending that it is retiring. We have a situation that happened last year spring too. What does it tell us then? Nothing. 

Speculating is one thing, using and defending wrong arguments is another and we don't like it.

​I'm not really concerned with what you like and don't like.  My first post said I BELIEVE...  I even capitalized it for people like you who get upset when people speculate in the speculation thread.  Get over yourself...

Edited by pickleboy

​I'm not really concerned with what you like and don't like.  My first post said I BELIEVE...  I even capitalized it for people like you who get upset when people speculate in the speculation thread.  Get over yourself...

​Now, now, let's ALL be nice to each other.

For the record, it's in stock all over the place in Canada and as usual, when the time comes, it'll probably stick around for some time in Canada after it goes away in the US. Though that window has been getting shorter and shorter especially on the large sets.

My personal take is that this set sticks around until Xmas. It'll be 5 years in October. It's a lovely set but at that price point lots of people are probably putting it off like they do with all the other large sets.

FYI: The 10214 TB has a new limit of 2 at LEGO Shop at Home US. So, from 5 to 2.

​Well kids, you backed Mr. LEGO into a corner and he put the claws out now.

Where is Miami Bomb Squad and their obligatory London Bridge post?

Edited by exciter1
  • Like 1

I have only two of these in my inventory, and they were bought years ago when I first got into this hobby. I've had no recent desire to buy more, but I was thinking about this set last night and saying to myself, this set is $240 for 4200+ pieces. Sure, a lot of those pieces are tan cheese slopes but that's a lot of pieces for the price. If and when this set gets retired, it should do really well even if it's been out way longer than the standard two year life cycle. Now I'm in the mode of wanting more. Go figure.

Edited by oneknightr
  • Like 1

​Yes, they are different but it's fine if we disagree.

​Actually I meant this in a subjunctive way, I don't really have an opinion about this particular topic. I just wanted to point out what I thought Inversion meant without agreeing or disagreeing with him. It just felt like the conversation was turning into something neither of you two intended.

• Like 2

If this one goes away in the next 2-4 months I will be one happy camper.  Can you say thank you "walmart half price mistake sale".  I believe this will be a great performer in retirement and the price/piece count will not be seen/offered again.

• Like 1

If this one goes away in the next 2-4 months I will be one happy camper.  Can you say thank you "walmart half price mistake sale".  I believe this will be a great performer in retirement and the price/piece count will not be seen/offered again.

​40% off, but who is counting?