7939 - Cargo Train

ahming2121

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on the train. I think the more adult oriented Emerald Night and Maersk Train had a relatively short shelf life and they have risen in value quite strongly.

These City theme trains have been around for quite a while though, and will appeal more to kids IMO. That could mean more modest growth. The fact that they include power functions and track do give them good value for money though. But that won't help in the aftermarket. As long as Lego will make trains, they'll continue to sell motors and track.

I have more faith in growth potential of the Horizon Express, but I do have one of 7938 and 7939 each just in case.

These City theme trains have been around for quite a while though, and will appeal more to kids IMO.

Not entirely true. The 3677 had a very short life. Plus the Maersk, Emerald and Horizon are exclusive sets, while the city themed trains are not. This also affects their value.

As a collector I agree with you on the rear engine. As an investor I see it as a doublesided coin. It also means that on the future, there will be people who want more than one. Granted, buying two of these well above retail price would set you back quite a bit, but the original TGV (where this set is unmistakenly modeled after) is such an iconic train that I believe train enthusiasts will concider it a must have.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't think the new trains will affect the price of the older passenger train or cargo trains.

Adults and kids that want to expand there layouts will want different trains.

The station price is already rising, Lego won't release that set again.

If you look at the red cargo train, that set is steadily rising.

I don't think the new trains will affect the price of the older passenger train or cargo trains.

Adults and kids that want to expand there layouts will want different trains.

The station price is already rising, Lego won't release that set again.

If you look at the red cargo train, that set is steadily rising.

There's a new train station coming out with the 2 new trains, and it's better all around than the previous version.  I purchased a few of them at a good price when TRU was giving away Lego, but not happy a new station is coming out.  Same goes for 7938/9.  I didn't think a new train would come out for a year or 2, so not happy to have bought some just to see a new one come out, as nice as they are.

What do you guys think about 66405? Set contains 7499(tracks), 7895(tracks), 7937 (station), 7939 (cargo train) seems like a decent deal. Costs 160 euro at the moment.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=66405-1

I can find very little on those 4-in-1 sets how they do in secondary market.

Seems like ok deal the seperate train costs here at least 130 euro + 15 euro x2 for the track + 35 euro for the station. But this is all from seperate shops so will all have extra shipping cost. Of course super 4-1 will be worth less then all sets seperate. 

What do you guys think about 66405? Set contains 7499(tracks), 7895(tracks), 7937 (station), 7939 (cargo train) seems like a decent deal. Costs 160 euro at the moment.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=66405-1

I can find very little on those 4-in-1 sets how they do in secondary market.

Seems like ok deal the seperate train costs here at least 130 euro + 15 euro x2 for the track + 35 euro for the station. But this is all from seperate shops so will all have extra shipping cost. Of course super 4-1 will be worth less then all sets seperate. 

Would seem a good price for a builder, not sure on the secondary market unless prepared to hold for a while... or part out.