7939 - Cargo Train

ahming2121

So should an investor by this or the creator exclusive? If the exclusive is the answer what are folks thoughts on the life expectancy? The only train i own is the constitution at 49 each, 10 of them.

Because if you buy at $125 and it sells at $270+, that's a $100 bill.

That is not my point.  The basic understanding of appreciation is known.  My question relates to the quality of train investing opportunities.  Some of the older ones seem to have done quite well.  The ideas regarding this one are mixed.  Will the Horizon Express do well relative to this, or are licensed trains the hold out opportunity?   One cannot invest in everything.  I am considering a larger train allocation but always want to perform proper due diligence.  I do not want to just buy this because it is on the way out.

• 1 month later...

yeah, amazon increased its stock level to a bit above 300. I still wonder what's gonna happen just before new sets are released..

walmart still does not have 7939, but it does have 7938, which would also have to be moved fast before summer...

How do you know they have 300. I've heard someone say put 999 in your card and it will tell you what's in stock, but it's a drop down, and limits you to 2. If I upate the quantity on the cart page, it drops it down to 2 saying that is the purchase limit. I see no way to get around this!?!

How do you know they have 300. I've heard someone say put 999 in your card and it will tell you what's in stock, but it's a drop down, and limits you to 2. If I upate the quantity on the cart page, it drops it down to 2 saying that is the purchase limit. I see no way to get around this!?!

amazon recently changed their algorithm to account for purchase limits when editing the cart, so the method no longer applies for many items. we are in the dark now

amazon recently changed their algorithm to account for purchase limits when editing the cart, so the method no longer applies for many items. we are in the dark now

Thanks for the clarification. I was starting to beat my head on what I might have been doing wrong by not seeing the full quantity. Thank You

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest MaartenBegins

As i'm new and learning everyday I have a simple question about the 7939 sets. In Amerika the Retail price was 175 dollars. At the moment a new one is 199 dollar. In Europe the Retail price was 170 euros and at the moment you have a new one for 126 euros. How is this possible. Will it change? Thanks guys!

one thing that holds true with Lego through the years is that Lego Trains are almost always winners eventually

some might take a bit longer than others before they're big winners but lego has a good track record of putting a single car that can't be found in any other set into each train they do like the cargo train, that leads people who want bigger trains to buy the old ones to combine them from what i've seen

As always got to wait for the cheap sellers to unload.  Cheapest BIN U.S.  with shipping is just shy of 250.  And they have already sold over that.  This was deeply discounted earlier this year, picked most of mine up at $123, probably why so many have been dumped already.  If your looking to unload you should part out as this set has lots of track, two very desirable cars and a decent engine.  True its no BNSF, or Maersk.  Also the auctions sold numbers are messed up by all the China sellers who scammed with this set all last month, probably "sold" over 100.  At some point when all those orders get refunded maybe some buyers will turn to legitimate sellers.

Also I believe in the US this set was sold out/retired earlier than in Europe. So that could also be why in Europe the value is lower. Or the value in the US is higher. 

I have two of these in my stash. I bought them very cheap and will keep them for the long haul. I see many selling already for 20 euro profit or so. But that is good for the patient people. Less of these on the market later.