6862 - Superman Vs Power Armor Lex

exciter1

I think we can write-off this set. Appreciate people who stay positive and I sincerely hope I am wrong. Many sets are "refreshed" with just some minor differences. Wondering if the man on the street (our target customers) will care for those minor differences and buy the old different ones as well. To me it seems like Lego has started the war on resellers and pulled the white flag on the war against counterfeiters and fakes.

Call me negative but that is just what I am seeing recently. 

• Like 1

I agree on the statements from lego. I am done investing in superhero and friends sets, outside of the big exclusives. Too many remakes or variants of the same thing. It reminds menof the 90's comic bubble bust. When a company attempts to create rarity by manufacture the end is nigh. How many versions of batman can there really be. Investors must adjust/adapt or die. I also will not invest in any star wars ucs remakes. I am sure others will disagree, but I will stay away. Too much risk in an illiquid asset.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Still looking at exclusive Lex and classic Wonder Woman minifigures from this set which should help it grow, albeit slowly.  The 3rd year at retail just killed this set especially with the "retiring soon" label that it was branded with for so long on Shop at Home.  Definitely over-hoarded.

after fees?  i have a cheap buy-in and would love a 100% profit after fees. 

nearly impossible at least for me.  i would suggest for people to hold but think it will get worse. minifig refreshes are really hurting the secondary market on sets like this.  ...and the set wasn't even really popular to begin with.  

yeah i know... i use to be a big supporter of this set until 'reality' hit 6 months ago :(

Depending on your buy-in price, as always.  I can already double-up...

after fees?  i have a cheap buy-in and would love a 100% profit after fees. 

nearly impossible at least for me.  i would suggest for people to hold but think it will get worse. minifig refreshes are really hurting the secondary market on sets like this.  ...and the set wasn't even really popular to begin with.  

yeah i know... i use to be a big supporter of this set until 'reality' hit 6 months ago :(

I had an average buy in around $10.  I found a slew of these for $7 each at Wal-Mart.

Not f'd but it would have been better to put this money in something else, like more Arkhams, Batcaves, or "Artic" Batmans.

I meant to get some more Arctic Batman sets but didn't get around to it. I'm really debating about investing in future Super Hero sets. Too much uncertainty with minifig refreshes and certain sets becoming duds. With this theme it seems like you really need to know what is coming out the next year to see if you should sell, as the new sets that are released might contain previous minifigs and that could hurt the value of your set.

• Like 1

I meant to get some more Arctic Batman sets but didn't get around to it. I'm really debating about investing in future Super Hero sets. Too much uncertainty with minifig refreshes and certain sets becoming duds. With this theme it seems like you really need to know what is coming out the next year to see if you should sell, as the new sets that are released might contain previous minifigs and that could hurt the value of your set.

Just have to find the niche, how many times do you think they would do an Artic batman?

Don't think we'll see much more of war machine down the line.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 2

A year from now when Batman v Superman:  Dawn of Justice is released (3/25/2016), this set will be kicking serious A$$.

6862 has  3 of the man protagonists of the film (Superman, Wonderwoman, Lex Luthor)

Combine this with Arctic Batman set, you have all the main characters in B v S (though Aquaman will look different for sure) .

I have equal numbers of both sets for bundling and have hopes that each will make it to $50 by then for an easy benjamin.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

Just have to find the niche, how many times do you think they would do an Artic batman?

Don't think we'll see much more of war machine down the line.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

I guess you have to look at the minifigs and think about how many times they might be remade. Arctic Batman is unlikely and the Mr. Freeze minifig is a good one too. I thought the classic Superman and Wonder Woman would have been a draw to this set. This set isn't offically retired so maybe once it is that'll help?

I started collecting Lego just recently so I missed all of the discounts. I needed the set for the Wonder Woman and Lex minifigs to complete my JLA collection so I happily shelled out $26 for it. I would have paid $30-35 easily. If $40 makes a good return for you six months from now, then it's a winner.

• Like 2