6862 - Superman Vs Power Armor Lex

exciter1

This is definitely a set to load up on before it disappears.  There is just too much value in it for it to not do well post-EOL.

I don't believe for a second that it will make it all the way to Christmas time.  That would give it a three year shelf life, and that doesn't seem likely.  My guess is that it stayed out a little longer because classic Superman and Wonder Woman make an appearance in the Lego Movie.  Sure enough, when the movie came out, Power Armor Lex disappeared from shelves a lot more quickly.

I think it will be gone by June at the latest.  The best price right now on average is $17.49 or so.  Hopefully it survives long enough to be clearanced again.  I have never seen it for $11 at Walmarts, but I have come close at $13.  I have never passed one up at that price, and never will.

Beat me to it. I placed an order and it never went through so I went and checked and it was gone. It's also gone from Walmart.

-I don't always go shopping, but when I do I buy Lego-

Walmart link is this, in case you want to check availability in stores:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-Super-Heroes-Superman-vs-Power-Armor-Lex/17767391

• Like 1

The minifigs looks great, but not sure if anything is rare or great about this set?

As with just about any small set, the minifigures really drive the value.  This one doesn't get much better with 3 exclusives in classic Superman, Wonder Woman, and Lex Luthor but it has been available for over 2 years now and if it lasts until the end of the year that will be a long 3 year run for this licensed set.  If the next couple waves of Super Heroes doesn't produce another classic Superman or Wonder Woman this one should still be a safe bet.

• 2 months later...

Bumping this thread. Almost 6 months later and the set is still readily available.

How close are we to EOL? At this point this is one of the longest shelf life smaller sets around. It is an amazing sets as it sells at a premium to MSRP on ebay while still being readily available on Amazon. I got to assume it will be gone by the end of the year?

I am still buying this set, a few every time it goes to $15. I still think all are investment points on the set hold true.

What say you?

I do like the potential of this set. I have 4 for now but am waiting for a killer price to get more. This is one of those sets that I feel I will be able to find at a couple of places I know on massive clearance once its end draws near. They are in good supply now at my usual places so I can definitely see a big push coming like I have for other comparable sets at this MSRP.

as the original poster, i'm getting just a tad annoyed 6862 is still around. 

looks like it will be at least a 3 year retail life set.  with bad luck, it will retire around the time newer versions of these figs are released :(  the latter is what really worries me.

Even if newer versions are released (likely to tie into the Justice League movie in a few years), I highly doubt they will remake these particular costumes. More likely they make costumes more like what's in the movie or current comic books, whereas these versions of Supes and Wonder Woman are the iconic versions of these characters and will always be in demand. Plus the Lex armoured robot is pretty cool and unlikely to be remade.

I have a handful of these all picked up for $20 or less, not at all heavily invested. It`s a solid set with great figures, it will do well come EOL like everyone keeps saying, only hindrance to that may be how many people have stocked up, but if the demand is there (which I think it will be) shouldn`t be an issue. Now it just needs to retire!

• Like 1

I have a handful of these all picked up for $20 or less, not at all heavily invested. It`s a solid set with great figures, it will do well come EOL like everyone keeps saying, only hindrance to that may be how many people have stocked up, but if the demand is there (which I think it will be) shouldn`t be an issue. Now it just needs to retire!

exactly.  as a cheaper set, i'm sure everyone and their grandmothers have them piled away for resell or already built in their collections.

Even if newer versions are released (likely to tie into the Justice League movie in a few years), I highly doubt they will remake these particular costumes. More likely they make costumes more like what's in the movie or current comic books, whereas these versions of Supes and Wonder Woman are the iconic versions of these characters and will always be in demand. Plus the Lex armoured robot is pretty cool and unlikely to be remade.

you never know...   most fans and kids (not purists) don't always care about costumes.  they just wanted the latest version of characters.  the lego elements are secondary for many.  minifigs are usually the main factor of demand for most sets.

as the original poster, i'm getting just a tad annoyed 6862 is still around. 

looks like it will be at least a 3 year retail life set.  with bad luck, it will retire around the time newer versions of these figs are released :(  the latter is what really worries me.

This is what it really comes down to I think. If the sets retires at the end of this year and they reissue identical WW/Supes figures it would not be good. If they are not reissued immediately or if they make movie versions ala Man of Steel sets then this set should do well. I have built all of the recent $20 Superhero sets and this one was one of my favorite. Most slid "vehicle' (the mech) out of all of them followed by the Batboat in 76000.

exactly.  as a cheaper set, i'm sure everyone and their grandmothers have them piled away for resell or already built in their collections.

you never know...   most fans and kids (not purists) don't always care about costumes.  they just wanted the latest version of characters.  the lego elements are secondary for many.  minifigs are usually the main factor of demand for most sets.

Comic book collectors care a lot about costumes, and I think they'll be looking for this set even if they aren't into Lego in general.  Comic collectors will buy 5 copies of a comic just to get all the alternate art.  If they decide they want to collect super hero Lego, they'll want all the costume variations.

This is currently the only super heroes set I have on display, and I don't even care that much for superman.  It's just a really cool looking set, I think it will do fine.

• Like 1