6862 - Superman Vs Power Armor Lex

exciter1

I meant to get some more Arctic Batman sets but didn't get around to it. I'm really debating about investing in future Super Hero sets. Too much uncertainty with minifig refreshes and certain sets becoming duds. With this theme it seems like you really need to know what is coming out the next year to see if you should sell, as the new sets that are released might contain previous minifigs and that could hurt the value of your set.

I think you are right to overthink and analyse. My analysis tells me that the first 2012 wave of super heroes sets had some winners. The next waves will not be as good as the first wave investment wise. The magic is over.

• Like 1

A year from now when Batman v Superman:  Dawn of Justice is released (3/25/2016), this set will be kicking serious A$$.

6862 has  3 of the man protagonists of the film (Superman, Wonderwoman, Lex Luthor)

Combine this with Arctic Batman set, you have all the main characters in B v S (though Aquaman will look different for sure) .

I have equal numbers of both sets for bundling and have hopes that each will make it to $50 by then for an easy benjamin.

I hope you are right, my friend. Guess I'll have to hold on to these sets for another year.

I hope you are right, my friend. Guess I'll have to hold on to these sets for another year.

If you bought in at $15, which I did, I think your fine. Unless you are like dniim and have 100+ :-) then I don't think you'll have much to worry about as it's already 50% retail price on Amazon. Christmas is possible to hit $50 and make some money. Just depends on how much you demand from a set.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

If you bought in at $15, which I did, I think your fine. Unless you are like dniim and have 100+ :-) then I don't think you'll have much to worry about as it's already 50% retail price on Amazon. Christmas is possible to hit $50 and make some money. Just depends on how much you demand from a set.

Is he the one that posted that picture with set after set stacked on top of each other? That was major.

it doesn't really matter.  white batman, pink batman, deep sea batman, etc...  it's all the same and people will just flock to the latest and greatest (and usually cheaper one).  just look at the Hulk. nobody really careed for the first one after the 2nd one arrived w/ purple pants.  now people started even ignoring the 2nd one for the latest one with lighter green (sand) skin.

in another year, i think arctic batman will have no more demand than any other one. aquaman is not exclusive anymore (and not popular) and mr. freeze is so-so.  there are just way too many batman sets around.

kinda like superman w/ his 3 versions and wonderman w/ her 2 versions.

it's prob going to tank.

Just have to find the niche, how many times do you think they would do an Artic batman?

Don't think we'll see much more of war machine down the line.

• Like 1

it doesn't really matter.  white batman, pink batman, deep sea batman, etc...  it's all the same and people will just flock to the latest and greatest (and usually cheaper one).  just look at the Hulk. nobody really careed for the first one after the 2nd one arrived w/ purple pants.  now people started even ignoring the 2nd one for the latest one with lighter green (sand) skin.

in another year, i think arctic batman will have no more demand than any other one. aquaman is not exclusive anymore (and not popular) and mr. freeze is so-so.  there are just way too many batman sets around.

it's prob going to tank.

Even if this is true. If you can break even, which most people will be able to do,  it's still not a loss, like happens often in the stock market.

it's prob going to tank.

It's already selling on Amazon for double RRP.

• Like 1

A year from now when Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is released (3/25/2016), this set will be kicking serious A$$.

6862 has 3 of the man protagonists of the film (Superman, Wonderwoman, Lex Luthor)

Combine this with Arctic Batman set, you have all the main characters in B v S (though Aquaman will look different for sure) .

I have equal numbers of both sets for bundling and have hopes that each will make it to $50 by then for an easy benjamin.

This assumes they don't release an actual Batman v Superman set with new versions of all these figures.

Hulk in khakis is so much cooler than purple pants, and the new hulk is way ugly, seriously. At least purple pants is classic. 6868 Hulk still gets 40-50 new in sealed package though it is a slower mover now.  That said I did sell all my Deadpool's for fear of a new version. There's no denying that Deadpool and Two-face have been the real superheroes of the bunch and it does have a lot to do with there being only one version. 

• Like 1

Hulk in khakis is so much cooler than purple pants, and the new hulk is way ugly, seriously. At least purple pants is classic. 6868 Hulk still gets 40-50 new in sealed package though it is a slower mover now.  That said I did sell all my Deadpool's for fear of a new version. There's no denying that Deadpool and Two-face have been the real superheroes of the bunch and it does have a lot to do with there being only one version. 

I believe there are two versions of Two-Face.

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=6864-1

http://www.brickpicker.com/bpms/set.cfm?set=7781-1

• 1 year later...
Lex Power Armor deja vu :crazy: 

The price was right on those. 

Ugh... Someone, please take these off my hands!  default_hot.gif

Sweet mech and 3 minifigs for under $15 = can't loose.  Yup, but I could not win either :crazy:

You'll make money with those one day. And by money and one day I mean $2 in 2 years. I have some too so it's ok for me to make that joke.

Parted out, Lex Luthor's hair brings in at least $15.

$2 In 2 years, are we talking about Lego movie sets?  

Just a quick thought on the buyer's remorse regarding Power Armor Lex. Yes, it's a dud. Yes, we all probably have some. I had 32 of them with an average buy in of around $12 each. I moved them all in two transactions on Bricklink, but you have to price them to move. My goal was to break even on them, but I actually made a tiny profit. If priced right, people will buy them to part out. It felt great when I was able to delete that set from my Brickfolio. Now that money is put into other sets with better prospects, hopefully.

• Like 2

Just now, terrymc4677 said:

Just a quick thought on the buyer's remorse regarding Power Armor Lex. Yes, it's a dud. Yes, we all probably have some. I had 32 of them with an average buy in of around $12 each. I moved them all in two transactions on Bricklink, but you have to price them to move. My goal was to break even on them, but I actually made a tiny profit. If priced right, people will buy them to part out. It felt great when I was able to delete that set from my Brickfolio. Now that money is put into other sets with better prospects, hopefully.

Mine are gone too, but I did make decent profit on them, percentage wise at least.  I did get most of mine for under $10.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, terrymc4677 said:

At $15 and below, they are actually decent birthday / Christmas / Easter presents ;)

• Like 2