6862 - Superman Vs Power Armor Lex

exciter1

As you can tell from the title I wondering if you believe set 6862 is a good deal at 15.00 and if so do you believe it's worth stocking up on at that price? How many would you Purchase?

Here so more info...

http://community.brickpicker.com/index.php?/topic/7393-Why-I%27m-buying-6862-Superman-vs-Power-Armor-Lex

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

Spoken like a veteran ... Good job.

IMO this set is on it's last leg. Many of us snagged quite a few during Walmarts managers sale last Xmas and it was close to $10-$11! So get them while u can.

Like u said this is the only set with superman and Wonder Woman in their original costumes. Wonder Woman is due to have a new figure done when batman Vs superman sets will be released as she is in the movie. But most likely she will have a new modern costume.

Thanks man! I'm trying! I appreciate the compliment. You made my day.

• 4 weeks later...

For investing or your personal collection, this may be your last chance to grab this set for MSRP.  These have disappeared from a lot of retail stores and only a handful of online retailers have them left.  It's probably not worth trying to save a few bucks if you really want it, but it depends a lot on your investment strategy and how long you can afford to hold them if you want to make the best return.  This set has been out 2 1/2 years now and plenty of people have stockpiled it.

• Like 1

What does everybody think of buying this set at $20 + tax?

I read the whole topic but most of you guys got it for $10 - $15.

In general, I'm clueless about superheroes.

What would you like to get out of it?  What amount of money would you have to get to make it worth, listing, packing, shipping?  We can speculate on what it would hit, but you more likely know what you want out of it.

I briefly looked at the other recent $20 Superhero sets, and behind Wolverine's Showdown and the Spider Cycle this is probably the third best seller.  It also gets over MSRP and until recently was available for $15.  The Cosmic Cube Chase is getting $35 now and Wolverine's Chopper is at $62, both retired.  The build is better on the Cosmic Cube, but the minifigs are better on Wolverine's Chopper, IMO.  This set has good figures and a good build, I can see this set getting to $50, maybe $60, within a year of retirement, but not near as fast as the WC did.

I would guess that Lego will release a set with Wonder Woman in her outfit from the new game, which will probably hurt this sets potential, I just don't think she is as popular as the WC figs.  They may release a revised Superman too, but we had all those MOS sets, so who knows.

Edited to add that it looks like the Man Bat set is similar in sales to this one and also over MSRP even though Walmart has it for $16.  I would keep your eye on that one too, although it is further out from retirement.

• Like 1

theres a high chance thats the last youll see of WW original costume for awhile ... i dont know what she is wearing in the game but the new WW in the movies will wear a totally different costume and thats what TLG will use to make their new WW mini figures ...

ive got my sets from $12-14 ... if i can double it minus fees and shipping im all good!

I would wait until you triple your money, minus fees...way more profit! I see no reason why this set shouldn't hit 50-60 by the end of 2015.

I know tons of these have been hoarded, so its going to take longer than the 6866. Wovlerine's chopper was also $15 for at least 6 months+ before it retired.

Walmart app is showing $15 at a local store but I don't see a way to check how many. Its probably not worth it to drive over there to save a few bucks.

My experience has been that you can add one or two less than they have in stock at the store.  I believe you have two weeks to do a store pickup at Walmart, so just plan a bunch of errands in the area to make it worth your time.

i'm now thinking the window for selling this set might be shorter than originally thought due to the long retail life and upcoming refreshes.  i'm not sure of it's long term growth. 

why?

if Batman 75th teaser posters are indicators, Wonder Woman will be refreshed soon with silver accents along with other minor details.  it has been over 2 years since her minifig was introduced so she's due.  i'm not sure how Superman and Lex refreshes but I can imagine the same exact 6862 Supes being in a future set before his next movie. 

also in the 1st poster below, we have a Green Lantern who we now know is arriving soon with Space Batman (from another poster that also showed the SDCC Batman, Zur-En-Arrh).   additionally, the SDCC 1966 Batmobile was in an earlier teaser poster..

At the time each poster was introduced, items depicted were either already in-production or about to be (mass retail or limited like the SDCC items). 

All this is just something to think about.  nothing more, nothing less.  furthermore, we know minifigures usually drive set demand (especially with super heroes who seem to be refreshed more often nowadays)

14703268026_5a14321fb1.jpg

13905139795_00d5ba53ba_z.jpg

14103996579_43e8205ee8_b.jpg

• Like 3

if Batman 75th teaser posters are indicators, Wonder Woman will be refreshed soon with silver accents along with other minor details.  it has been over 2 years since her minifig was introduced so she's due.  i'm not sure how Superman and Lex refreshes but I can imagine the same exact 6862 Supes being in a future set before his next movie.

I think it's interesting they put multiple batmobile's in the batcave.

I've never seen this set as a long term growth. I have less than 5 for that reason, if I lose on the gamble so be it. I just don't see it going higher than $45 max due to the minifigs being refreshed so often, even in a different costume. 

i'm now thinking the window for selling this set might be shorter than originally thought due to the long retail life and upcoming refreshes.  i'm not sure of it's long term growth. 

why?

also in the 1st poster below, we have a Green Lantern who we now know is arriving soon with Space Batman (from another poster that also showed the SDCC Batman, Zur-En-Arrh).   additionally, the SDCC 1966 Batmobile was in an earlier teaser poster..

At the time each poster was introduced, items depicted were either already in-production or about to be (mass retail or limited like the SDCC items).

All this is just something to think about.  nothing more, nothing less.  furthermore, we know minifigures usually drive set demand (especially with super heroes who seem to be refreshed more often nowadays)

I've never seen this set as a long term growth. I have less than 5 for that reason, if I lose on the gamble so be it. I just don't see it going higher than $45 max due to the minifigs being refreshed so often, even in a different costume. 

Maybe so, but that certainly hasn't hurt Wolverine.

I am all in with 90+ of these, but I don't see a way this set isn't a 40$ seller. I think it will be 60$ a year after. I am hoping it is gone by early November and I will dump 20-30 during Christmas and the rest mid year next year.

• 2 weeks later...

This set is now listed as Retiring Soon. Do you have enough?  I know this is quite a popular set and I honestly am very interested to see what happens with this thing.

attachicon.gifpowerarmor_lex_6862.png

Buy From Amazon

Buy From LEGO

Buy From Walmart

Buy From Target

I have been stocking up on this set for a few weeks.  Interestingly with this set, it was actually added to the retiring soon section around 2 weeks ago I think.  Since then it has gone from shipping date in September, to sold out, to shipping date in September, to being available again.

This is definitely a set to load up on before it disappears.  There is just too much value in it for it to not do well post-EOL.

I don't believe for a second that it will make it all the way to Christmas time.  That would give it a three year shelf life, and that doesn't seem likely.  My guess is that it stayed out a little longer because classic Superman and Wonder Woman make an appearance in the Lego Movie.  Sure enough, when the movie came out, Power Armor Lex disappeared from shelves a lot more quickly.

I think it will be gone by June at the latest.  The best price right now on average is $17.49 or so.  Hopefully it survives long enough to be clearanced again.  I have never seen it for $11 at Walmarts, but I have come close at $13.  I have never passed one up at that price, and never will.

In The LEGO Movie, Green Lantern is always pestering Superman.  This has got me thinking...  Is there an official Lego Green Lantern figure?  The only ones I've seen on eBay have been obvious Chinese fakes (the Chinese often beat Lego to the punch and release knockoffs before the real ones come out).  I wonder if Lego inadvertently boosted the counterfeit market by featuring a minifigure that only the knockoff manufacturers actually sell?

In The LEGO Movie, Green Lantern is always pestering Superman. This has got me thinking... Is there an official Lego Green Lantern figure? The only ones I've seen on eBay have been obvious Chinese fakes (the Chinese often beat Lego to the punch and release knockoffs before the real ones come out). I wonder if Lego inadvertently boosted the counterfeit market by featuring a minifigure that only the knockoff manufacturers actually sell?

Green lantern will be here next year in his own set.

http://kotaku.com/lego-green-lantern-gets-his-own-set-almost-escapes-b-1609744612

This set is now listed as Retiring Soon. Do you have enough?  I know this is quite a popular set and I honestly am very interested to see what happens with this thing.

attachicon.gifpowerarmor_lex_6862.png

Buy From Amazon

Buy From LEGO

Buy From Walmart

Buy From Target

Ive felt like this thing was "retiring soon" for a year now though. lol.

Does anyone else feel that when lego actually uses a retiring soon label they are trying to clear stock out. Which in tern tells me that they aren't really selling great. Takes a retiring label to clear them out stir the pot. I'm not big on super heroes so I tend to stay away from investing in it because I wouldn't wanna be sick with it forcing me to take a loss.

Retiring soon is just that, "sale" is trying to clear. IMO the first wave will do very very well concerning the batman sets, all the classic vehicles, batmobile, batwing, then only the 2nd batcave, funhouse is probably a one off and catwoman unlikely to get another set till after the movies so 2017 at the earliest.

I recently rearranged and put all batmans vehicles in one cabinet, mobile, batwing, bat boat, helicopter, flash version batmobile and the plane from joker steam roller sets and lastly the bat which is mounted on sme 2 x 2 clear round bricks to make it look airborne. It looks the best cabinet by far, I see the vehicles doing very well i have no worries with superheroes investment wise dc or marvel, 6862 is one of the best of the rest display sets IMO.

• Like 1