Lego store Clerks?

maxgc53

Nobody will have sympathy here for this kind of complaint. This how we make money. Christmas is the best. Find something that is OOS and them flip for 2x or 3x MSRP on the same day.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

I guess its a good thing then, that TLC is less and less seeing it your way!..... 

Lego employees are explicitly prohibited from reselling. they wouldn't risk losing their job to be resellers.

They wouldnt risk their minimum wage job? lol ... They are prob. making boatloads of money esp. during the 41999 fiasco .. pretty sure alot of empoloyees had some shady things going on behind the scenes.

Well, this is a straw man argument anyways. Just because they would allow more than 1 promo per household doesn't mean they'd run out in a day or two. MM is only worth $15, there's only so much product people could justify purchasing to get the promos. I have a feeling you'd see promos run out a few days sooner but that's about it. 

It's not one extreme or the other, you can have a middle ground that's fair for everyone here.

I've rarely had a problem procuring another exclusive....but then again, I'm buying with my kids. I know the MM retails for 4.99 at the store FWIW......

They wouldnt risk their minimum wage job? lol ... They are prob. making boatloads of money esp. during the 41999 fiasco .. pretty sure alot of empoloyees had some shady things going on behind the scenes.

I agree.

It's naive to think someone wouldn't risk a go-nowhere retail job if they saw their way clear to making a decent packet doing what a bunch of us do, and having the advantage of inside information, knowing stock levels, etc.

Heck, I've toyed with the notion of having one of our daughters, who work in our business, get a part-time job at a LEGO store. There's too much of a commute to make it feasible for us, but otherwise you'd see one of the tadpoles wearing a Lego Store vest and smiling helpfully at you next time you walked in.

• Like 1

I've rarely had a problem procuring another exclusive....but then again, I'm buying with my kids. I know the MM retails for 4.99 at the store FWIW......

Sure, but its inconsistent. You shouldn't have to parade your kids in to the store each time in order to be treated fairly. 1 per household makes no sense on many levels, especially if it encourages people like ponytail who use it to persecute whomever they choose. 

Something like raising the limit to 4 per household and producing an extra 25% more promos when they know it'll be popular would solve this problem. Hell they should be doing it anyways, last months promo (which sucked) ran out in 2 weeks. Clearly they either are mismanaging their promo production or they don't care if it runs out. 

I think this thread has entered the Twilight Zone, when someone can, in 40 hours a week make 30k plus w/ benefits without even a high school diploma and is looked down upon for doing it and the ability to move up within a large company is considered a "go-nowhere job" things are just backward. Many of us thrive on " being our own boss" and doing our own thing. That's not for everyone. Some like a more steady paycheck and the simplicity of a W-2 instead a schedule C and an accountant.. Of course some will take advantage, but those don't last very long. It's much easier to police ones own employees than ones customers. Show some damn courtesy and maybe even a little respect for the working retail stiffs.

• Like 2

I think this thread has entered the Twilight Zone, when someone can, in 40 hours a week make 30k plus w/ benefits without even a high school diploma and is looked down upon for doing it and the ability to move up within a large company is considered a "go-nowhere job" things are just backward. Many of us thrive on " being our own boss" and doing our own thing. That's not for everyone. Some like a more steady paycheck and the simplicity of a W-2 instead a schedule C and an accountant.. Of course some will take advantage, but those don't last very long. It's much easier to police ones own employees than ones customers. Show some damn courtesy and maybe even a little respect for the working retail stiffs.

Nothing wrong with that but it is still a go-nowhere job....Meaning you cannot work your way up any higher than maybe store manager.

My friend worked at the lego store and he hated it..It seems a lot of managers at lego stores think they are Lego Police...lol

Lego employees are explicitly prohibited from reselling. they wouldn't risk losing their job to be resellers.

You missed where I said "I would be the craftiest..."  I would sell through a different identity and person, perhaps from an underground lair filled with deadly traps and some funny ones, too.    And, worst case scenario: I lose a minimum wage job?  Totally worth it to build deadly traps.

• Like 1

I dont appreciate these working stiffs who try to interrupt the way I conduct my business and its non of their damn business how I make my money ( people like ponytail man). Dont get mad at me because I want to move up and be my own boss .. im simply not content with minimum wage .. and I found lego to me a great product to resell. I dont know why guys like ponytail care honestly ... its not like lego store is the only place to get legos .. hes not stopping anyone from reselling .. while ponytail man makes $10 dollars a hour ill be laughing at him with my piles of cash sitting at home being my own boss :). 1 per household rule is a joke .. lol I have about 30-40++ MM's on me and its just the beg. of the month :P .

P.S - Can someone post a pic of this mysterious ponytail creature? 

You missed where I said "I would be the craftiest..."  I would sell through a different identity and person, perhaps from an underground lair filled with deadly traps and some funny ones, too.    And, worst case scenario: I lose a minimum wage job?  Totally worth it to build deadly traps.

Dang it, now I want a go nowhere minimum wage LEGO job. I didn't know there'd be deadly traps.

• Like 1

I dont appreciate these working stiffs who try to interrupt the way I conduct my business and its non of their damn business how I make my money ( people like ponytail man). Dont get mad at me because I want to move up and be my own boss .. im simply not content with minimum wage .. and I found lego to me a great product to resell. I dont know why guys like ponytail care honestly ... its not like lego store is the only place to get legos .. hes not stopping anyone from reselling .. while ponytail man makes $10 dollars a hour ill be laughing at him with my piles of cash sitting at home being my own boss :). 1 per household rule is a joke .. lol I have about 30-40++ MM's on me and its just the beg. of the month :P .

There seems to be 2 ponytails. One that works at the lego store somewhere on the east coast, and the other that works on the west coast. Maybe they are related??

Not sure why lego hates resellers .. Its not like resllers are forcing customers to buy retired lego sets for a stupid inflated price .. I think little Timmy will live if he doesn't get his emerald train .. he could always go with a train that lego offers that isn't retired like the Cargo Train/Lone Ranger Train .. just saying

I think you might be hallucinating.

LEGO store manager is a fine pseudo-career for someone who has no other skills nor any ability to gain other skills, or maybe even for someone who simply adores retail and children and doesn't need to be able to live on his or her wages.

For those without high school diplomas, they can make a lot more starting their own business OR, if they really enjoy the steady paycheck route, they can get a trade school or apprenticeship education and make enough money to actually support themselves.

But let's look at this rationally. Even if I adore retail and children, and don't need to make enough to house, feed, and clothe myself, and get a job in a LEGO store, and "risk" that job by selling LEGO on the side, and get caught because my deadly traps fail to spring and lose my LEGO job, it's hardly a drop in the bucket of tears I'll shed during my lifetime. I just go get another retail job that caters to younguns, no harm, no foul, nothing more than a blip on the radar.

It ain't skydiving or shark hunting, it's "risking" a job I can go get all over again without the slightest trouble, from some other retailer.

• Like 3

Not sure why lego hates resellers .. Its not like resllers are forcing customers to buy retired lego sets for a stupid inflated price .. I think little Timmy will live if he doesn't get his emerald train .. he could always go with a train that lego offers that isn't retired like the Cargo Train/Lone Ranger Train .. just saying

Hurts their brand. 

I think y'all underestimate the pay scale of retail management. And, of course, more money can be made in other ways. There's always a bigger fish out there. I'm just sick of the sense of entitlement on this thread. Lego or Ponytail don't owe any of you anything. If your abusing the system don't ***** about the one guy who cares enough to at least try to follow the rules, if it's that important to you just order online, where, apparently they don't give a s@&$.

• Like 1

I think y'all underestimate the pay scale of retail management. And, of course, more money can be made in other ways. There's always a bigger fish out there. I'm just sick of the sense of entitlement on this thread. Lego or Ponytail don't owe any of you anything. If your abusing the system don't ***** about the one guy who cares enough to at least try to follow the rules, if it's that important to you just order online, where, apparently they don't give a s@&$.

They owe me a martian manhunter for spending $150 at THEIR store. 

Guest brickcrazyhouse

Maybe the members who have to deal with "pony boy " should grow a tail of their own and see if the rules are suddenly relaxed

I am abashed. You're right, Ponytail is a retail Hero. I will now go compose a ballad to his valor and integrity, so that we may honor him in song and legend.  :twitch:

Yeah. This is a resellers and investors site. Every one of us who buys so much as one LEGO kit from a LEGO store for the purpose of reselling it at some future date is "abusing the system" as far as LEGO is concerned. 

We're right back to the glass houses and stones. If you're not any kind of investor or reseller, it's pretty cheeky to pop onto a site dedicated for those of us who are and tell us how awful we are. If you do do any investing or reselling, you're right here in the sand with us other sinners as far as LEGO is concerned.

I wouldn't be surprised if people like lego ponytail guy holding back on giving away promos so he can pocket the leftovers at the end of the promo period for himself for resell purposes.

I wouldn't be surprised if people like lego ponytail guy holding back on giving away promos so he can pocket the leftovers at the end of the promo period for himself for resell purposes.

I was just thinking of posting the very same thing. Often the pharisees most interested in people's sins are the ones committing the very sins they're stoning others for.

Boy I'm Biblical today. Must be Sunday.  :queen:

"That's what I said, bootytraps!"

• Like 1

People have been reselling legos for over a decade or even longer and their brand is even stronger than it was 10 years ago (proof is in their quarterly fiscal reports) .. so do you have proof to backup this theory that resellers/investors hurt lego brand? 

They're certainly not "targeting resellers" simply because resellers are spending too much money! Think outside the box, Bro.  

"Oh, so I see you came back for another Martian Manhunter just a week after your last purchase. And perhaps something to help fund your Jamaican drug ring or your plans to take over a Naval ship and/or train packed with a nuclear bomb? No no, I don't think so, walk away son, just walk away."

seagal-ponytail.jpg

• Like 5