Lego store Clerks?

maxgc53

Why does it seem that at every Lego store there is one worker/manager who always hates on people who they believe to be resellers....When I walk in to my local one the manager is always whispering to the other employees and looking straight at me..

At my local lego store I went up to pay for a Grand emporium and ponytail (San Mateo CA store) told me I couldn't get a Martian Manhunter because it is one per person..They accused me of buying a pet shop (I never did) about a week ago. 

/Rant over. lol

that sucks. isn't it just one per $75 purchase while supplies last?! some folks really have bad customer service. I would email a message to Lego or fill out the survey about that store. whether a person is a re-seller or not, staff shouldn't make anybody feel uncomfortable.

• Like 1

that sucks. isn't it just one per $75 purchase while supplies last?! some folks really have bad customer service. I would email a message to Lego or fill out the survey about that store. whether a person is a re-seller or not, staff shouldn't make anybody feel uncomfortable.

I will do just that tomorrow. Heck maybe If I can prove I spent atleast $75 and not receiving a martian manhunter polybag, they will send me one? 

I concur that you should get your letter writing pen out and lay it on thick. How is buying 3 different puchases instore any different than ordering 3 orders online?

When I was buying my Jabba Palace on sale at the lego store (Mall of America) the clerk actually asked me if I wanted them rang up separate so I could get two resistance pieces from last months promo instead of just one.

Personally I would have asked for a manager if that had happened to me and if the manager didn't give you a customer friendly answer I would have gotten his name and wrote a letter.

Just my 2 cents.

I concur that you should get your letter writing pen out and lay it on thick. How is buying 3 different puchases instore any different than ordering 3 orders online?

When I was buying my Jabba Palace on sale at the lego store (Mall of America) the clerk actually asked me if I wanted them rang up separate so I could get two resistance pieces from last months promo instead of just one.

Personally I would have asked for a manager if that had happened to me and if the manager didn't give you a customer friendly answer I would have gotten his name and wrote a letter.

Just my 2 cents.

Will lego be able to find their names if I tell them the store location? 

The employees at my store are still very friendly, at least with me, anyway. But it's likely that they don't view me as a reseller because A) I go in there with my kid usually, and B) I don't buy alot of the same sets from the Lego store, when I buy multiple sets it's usually at a department store when something is on clearance.

That being said, if your story is true, it's indicative of the overall change in culture we have seen with Lego over the past couple of years due to their latest popularity boom.

I will do just that tomorrow. Heck maybe If I can prove I spent atleast $75 and not receiving a martian manhunter polybag, they will send me one?

yeah, tell Lego your experience recently at that specific store was unsatisfactory... date/time... you didn't get the free promo and manager/staff made you feel uncomfortable. Lego might look into your vip account so unless you have some crazy purchase trend I wouldn't worry... Lego should reply with apology, free ploybag and perhaps communication will be sent to that store. good to get it off your chest anyways.

Any time an organization (corporation, government body, whatever) puts a rule in place, there are going to be a certain number of tin pot dictators that crop up to take full advantage of their big fish in an itty, bitty pond status. Itty bitty also probably describes the size of ponytail's fun parts, but I digress.  :shifty:

By all means, complain to LEGO. I'd leave your VIP status out of it, I'd simply call them up as an outraged customer and complain. A phone call is even better than a letter.

I was in our closest LEGO store today and they could not have been friendlier. But, I am exceedingly cautious in my buying behavior with LEGO and use the VIP card pretty sparingly. I'd rather enjoy a long, quiet and under-the-radar relationship with LEGO than try to push them to their secret limits.

• Like 1

The employees at my store are still very friendly, at least with me, anyway. But it's likely that they don't view me as a reseller because A) I go in there with my kid usually, and B) I don't buy alot of the same sets from the Lego store, when I buy multiple sets it's usually at a department store when something is on clearance.

That being said, if your story is true, it's indicative of the overall change in culture we have seen with Lego over the past couple of years due to their latest popularity boom.

I have never felt uncomfortable at any of the 3 Lego stores locally... but I do admit it's easier/more fun having my kid or wife there browsing around too. I think with any business/franchise, every location has its own 'culture' pass down from a specific manager or staff even though your experience is suppose to be the same in any location. some staff are just too serious and everybody has their quirks, but being rude is never good business.

I have never felt uncomfortable at any of the 3 Lego stores locally... but I do admit it's easier/more fun having my kid or wife there browsing around too. I think with any business/franchise, every location has its own 'culture' pass down from a specific manager or staff even though your experience is suppose to be the same in any location. some staff are just too serious and everybody has their quirks, but being rude is never good business.

Yep. My buddy used to work at this store too and he hated the manager and some of his coworkers, that's why he quit. 

Thanks for the advice guys. I appreciate it

At my local lego store I went up to pay for a Grand emporium and ponytail (San Mateo CA store) told me I couldn't get a Martian Manhunter because it is one per person..They accused me of buying a pet shop (I never did) about a week ago.

Even if you had bought a Pet Shop the week before, their treatment towards you was just rude all the same. I would expect to hear this sort of behavior if you happened to look like somebody who was a known thief, and somebody tell me how buying a single Grand Emporium makes anyone a cursed reseller all of a sudden? Talk about a witch hunt.

Why does it seem that at every Lego store there is one worker/manager who always hates on people who they believe to be resellers....When I walk in to my local one the manager is always whispering to the other employees and looking straight at me..

/Rant over. lol

...just wondering, are you really a reseller?...

Are you ponytail? ;)

haha but I think the answer is clear....

...sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not ponytail... actually, that's not allowed in the Army...  :twitch: I don't see anything wrong being a reseller, a hobbyist or a collector...

In the last 6 months I've noticed that if I buy 3 of anything at my local lego store without fail they will ask me "so who are these for?"  and I immediately want to say "they're for your mom!" but I haven't, just yet.

• Like 7

I was told the same thing last week in the San Mateo store. Isn't that the point of offering these promos, to get us to spend our money in their store. There are no real bargains in a Lego store, especially that one. I could spend elsewhere and save more than enough money to get a Manhunter somewhere else. I am a 40+ yr AFOL collector, not reseller, trying to stick with brand loyalty but they keep making it harder and harder. Maybe they need to transfer the pervious manager back from Las Vegas. The new one hasn't been there a few months and the attitude has really changed for the worse. All three other Lego stores in Northern California are better. Yet my sales person circled the survey on the receipt, wrote their name on it and smiled at me like I was suppose to give him a favorable response. Yeah, that didn't happen.

So ... they think you bought ONE pet shop last week and returned to buy ONE grand emporium and they suspect you of being a reseller? Thought the whole point of the Modulars was to get AFOLs to collect them. Maybe you got your bonus or your tax refund and came in to spend your hard-earned money! 

I don't understand the resentment of resellers, and I'm not even one with only 15 sets purchased so far. They have a buying limit imposed on the hottest items; that should be enough of a restriction to keep inventory levels up for casual buyers. As long as everyone who wants one can get one for MSRP or better, they shouldn't care whose money it is.

When someone suspects you to be a reseller you can give him sooooo much explanations.

A good one is: my son and I are lego fans and we need a lot of the pieces that are included in this set.

The seller will only suspect you to be filthy rich.  :money:

And you should not hide, and should ask to the sellers: "BTW ! We would like to build a martian army :sorcerer: , can I have some more polybags if I buy some more legos ?"

I cannot comprehend how Lego store employees can do this. At my local store, they would not care if I got two promos when your are only supposed to get one.  If I were in charge of all the employees in Lego, this manager would be the first to go. That is horrible customer service, and he should be reported immediately!

I cannot comprehend how Lego store employees can do this. At my local store, they would not care if I got two promos when your are only supposed to get one.

IMO these polybags can be considered as some advertising. That's why the sellers are not supposed to give several to the same person, because the goal is to give these at the maximum lego buyers so they can be interested in the polybag's theme and buy some other legos they would not have thought about first, once at home.

As I touched on earlier and a few others have, this behavior can, at least in some cases, be attributed to the way employees interpret TLG's stricter buying limits and the overall popularity increase. Some store employees have taken it upon themselves to act as "vigilantes" of sorts in enforcing those buy limit/resale policies, and it is evident from this thread that more than a couple locations have crossed the line into alleging customer violations without viable proof. While they probably think they are "helping" their company and getting an adrenaline rush at the same time out of calling people out, their behavior is an expected drawback that TLG should have prepared for ahead of time.