Lego store Clerks?

maxgc53

Maybe you guys should brush up on your social skills ..? I have been friendly to my local lego staff and in return they are pretty chill with me. We talk about retiring sets and which items I should stock up on ect ... They even suggest I break down large transactions to get a few promos  .. out of the 5-8 different employee there the only one who seems to have a hard on for me is this one guy whos the supervisor of the store or something ( always that 1 guy at every store who takes his job to seriously).

Maybe you guys should brush up on your social skills ..? I have been friendly to my local lego staff and in return they are pretty chill with me. We talk about retiring sets and which items I should stock up on ect ... They even suggest I break down large transactions to get a few promos  .. out of the 5-8 different employee there the only one who seems to have a hard on for me is this one guy whos the supervisor of the store or something ( always that 1 guy at every store who takes his job to seriously).

Well some stores are different. At my one they didn't even give me the polybag and when I asked they said "You already got one, from the pet shop remember?" It took me aback a bit, and I said, what are you on about? Well lets just say I was calm and courteous, even though I was trying to hold back from going off on them.

Well some stores are different. At my one they didn't even give me the polybag and when I asked they said "You already got one, from the pet shop remember?" It took me aback a bit, and I said, what are you on about? Well lets just say I was calm and courteous, even though I was trying to hold back from going off on them.

At my only local Lego store, the employees are very nice and don't seem to have that one person who takes their job too seriously. I am very thankful for this.

I think we need to take a step back, y'all want someone to lose their job because you don't agree with their interpretation of company policy? For a second put yourself in their shoes. How many excuses do you think they have heard to get extra freebies? How many times have they been yelled at by corporate about enforcing selling limits? Or been chewed out by angry parents because they don't have the one set that little Jimmy just has to have? Did the guy act like an ass? Probably, but there are two sides to this story. Most of y'all seem upset that Lego is making it harder to game the system, thus more fair for the average consumer. LEGOs goal is not to make you money. It's to sell children's toys to children's parents. Fill out that comment card if you want, but unless you've spent some time working that kind of retail you have absolutely no idea of the kind of crap they put up with on a daily basis. And for the record I do NOT have a ponytail.

• Like 1

It's pretty simple. The OP had a bad experience in his LEGO store. I'm recommending he use the survey provided as its intended and tell LEGO about his bad experience.

If ponytail is a swell guy and gets lots of positive feedback, I'm sure LEGO will take that into account when determining his future with the company.

Why is it wrong to take the job seriously?  Kind of get the impression from this site sometimes that a majority of the users here want nothing more than for these people to bend over every which way possible....

• Like 1

Why is it wrong to take the job seriously?  Kind of get the impression from this site sometimes that a majority of the users here want nothing more than for these people to bend over every which way possible....

I think that it is fine for a person to take their job seriously, but if a person takes it too seriously, then I have a problem.

• Like 1

Everyone's entitled to their opinion on the difference between someone taking their job seriously versus persecuting people because someone gave them a little power.

That's why LEGO asks customers to give their opinion via the survey - if they find too many people feel persecuted, they'll consider making a change. If they find it's a rare occurrence and most people love the store management, they won't.

Since the OP was unhappy with his experience, he should address that, as he did by phone and can also via the survey. Should you shop at ponytail's store and feel great about it, you can exercise a similar privilege. 

What's wrong here is people telling the OP that he must feel as they do about this situation.

• Like 3

Reading this post struck close to home for me.  There's nothing wrong with taking your job too seriously, but it's very offensive when I get treated like a criminal because I'm trying to spend a lot of money.  I've encountered this at both Tysons Corner and Potomac Mills locations in VA.  

• Like 2

Lego is not doing charity work. The polybag is not charity. Telling someone you were in here last week and already got your bowl of soup and bread(I mean polybag) is just stupid. Everyday you walk into a lego store you should be treated as a new and valued costumer. Not someone trying to get a second charity handout.

Lego is not doing charity work. The polybag is not charity. Telling someone you were in here last week and already got your bowl of soup and bread(I mean polybag) is just stupid. Everyday you walk into a lego store you should be treated as a new and valued costumer. Not someone trying to get a second charity handout.

For the other side of the coin, they do state that the promo is one per household.

However, the wildly uneven enforcement of that policy is stupid and unfair, and stupid and unfair will tend to torque people off quite a lot.

My own opinion is that one promo per household as a policy is asinine. There are households where more than one child is quite interested in LEGO, and to refuse normal customers the ability to easily spend double and get the two they want, or triple and get the three they want, is throwing the baby out with the reseller bathwater. Forcing those parents to go to eBay or similar to acquire the extras they want is actually REWARDING resellers (particularly those of us bright enough to find ways to work the system to get as many little Martians as we have $75 bundles of money to spend) and punishing normal customers.

LEGO's desire to thwart resellers is going to have consequences for them in many ways. Only they can decide whether the benefit is worth what it will cost them in both dollars and goodwill. The surveys will help them determine that.  :shifty:

Ya always that 1 ****** tool at each store.

I think when you start accusing customers of coming in a few days before and getting a polybag .. thats alittle bit to much and at that point thats just terrible customer service.

The one per household policy is just insane in regards to enforcing.

If I am grandpa who wants to buy presents for four grandchildren and see that promo and I am halfway intelligent I want the promo for all grand children. That one per household is just a stupid policy to enforce.

The one per household policy is just insane in regards to enforcing.

If I am grandpa who wants to buy presents for four grandchildren and see that promo and I am halfway intelligent I want the promo for all grand children. That one per household is just a stupid policy to enforce.

What sense does it make for TLC to have a promo that gets blasted out of stock within the first day or two because a bunch of people decide they need to try to corner the market on whatever the promo is?  If I'm a parent bringing my child to The Lego Store to get the promo only to have it sold out after a few days.....maybe I think allowing more than one per household is stupid....particularly if I then see a bunch of said promo on Ebay for inflated prices. 

What sense does it make for TLC to have a promo that gets blasted out of stock within the first day or two because a bunch of people decide they need to try to corner the market on whatever the promo is?  If I'm a parent bringing my child to The Lego Store to get the promo only to have it sold out after a few days.....maybe I think allowing more than one per household is stupid....particularly if I then see a bunch of said promo on Ebay for inflated prices. 

Easy..Just ramp up production! It's easy as 1.2.3.

These exclusives are meant to make people buy more of their product. 1 per household is ridiculous!!

Justafrog's push regarding the survey is the best, and really only way to find resolution to all of these issues, if at all. Indeed the decisions they've made regarding resellers make a good amount of sense for a company constantly in the black like TLG is now. Could long term effects prove it wasn't the best decision? Majority rules, and people will speak with their wallets. For the moment, their decisions that affect resellers and AFOL's negatively seem to be mitigated by their exponential growth through family sales. The only other way to speak to them about it is through the surveys.  

Oh well, looks like I am not the only one.

The store I went to (closest one), which is in PA. Starting from Feb 1, the store manager actually told me, I need to go to the store every 2 weeks.

The manager is fine with me as long as I follow the rule. But there is another stuff that, just try to make your life miserable. 

They made me feel like every time I go to LEGO store, I am robbery that place with my own money, it made me worry what will they say to me this time.

But the other store I went to, which is 30 mins farther away, I was really treated like a VIP.

IF you hate resellers so much why are you posting here? Majority of the site users are resellers & Investors ( basically same thing as a reseller even worse, but just waits to rip you off and charge 2-4x the original msrp). You are in the wrong place my friend  ... 

• Like 1

IF you hate resellers so much why are you posting here? Majority of the site users are resellers & Investors ( basically same thing as a reseller even worse, but just waits to rip you off and charge 2-4x the original msrp). You are in the wrong place my friend  ... 

Interesting....I don't recall me hating resellers as being something that's been noted on this thread.  

What sense does it make for TLC to have a promo that gets blasted out of stock within the first day or two because a bunch of people decide they need to try to corner the market on whatever the promo is? If I'm a parent bringing my child to The Lego Store to get the promo only to have it sold out after a few days.....maybe I think allowing more than one per household is stupid....particularly if I then see a bunch of said promo on Ebay for inflated prices.

Nobody will have sympathy here for this kind of complaint. This how we make money. Christmas is the best. Find something that is OOS and them flip for 2x or 3x MSRP on the same day.

Sent from my iPad using Brickpicker

• Like 1

Some might have run into managers or employees that were, in fact, resellers themselves.  I know if I were a Lego Store employee, I would be the craftiest reseller there ever was.  And in being so, I would try to discourage other resellers from out-buying my own initiatives. I am sure some store employees call their friends and relatives in to grab these things as quickly as they can, and this might cause some friction when another reseller enters the scene.  

Some might have run into managers or employees that were, in fact, resellers themselves. I know if I were a Lego Store employee, I would be the craftiest reseller there ever was. And in being so, I would try to discourage other resellers from out-buying my own initiatives. I am sure some store employees call their friends and relatives in to grab these things as quickly as they can, and this might cause some friction when another reseller enters the scene.

Lego employees are explicitly prohibited from reselling. they wouldn't risk losing their job to be resellers.

Were you just playing devil's advocate then (or angel's advocate might be more appropriate in your case)?

Not at all.  Questioning a business decision or a situation in regards to TLC that contradicts that general interests of investors/speculators or secondary market LEGO sellers doesn't make a hater of those aspects anymore than me questioning TLC's motives in regards to things makes me a hater of it.  I'm comfortable enough to call out the situations as I see them....and in this case, it makes more sense for TLC to have the ability to "give the most to the most people" as opposed to allowing fewer people to get more.  People occassionally want to bring up the plight of the guy who has two(or more) children yet cannot get two (or more) promos as a defense of the "anything goes" argument for procuring exclusive giveaways.......but it has been my experiences (as a father with two children) that the overwhelming majority of time that when I've reached the minimum threshold of purchasing requirements and my children are with me.....there's been no problem in me getting another exclusive; either by paying for it (which I have no problem with) or thru the kindness of the TLC employee.  

• Like 3

Well, this is a straw man argument anyways. Just because they would allow more than 1 promo per household doesn't mean they'd run out in a day or two. MM is only worth $15, there's only so much product people could justify purchasing to get the promos. I have a feeling you'd see promos run out a few days sooner but that's about it. 

It's not one extreme or the other, you can have a middle ground that's fair for everyone here.