10224 - Town Hall

Ed Mack

What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?  

312 members have voted

1. 1. What year will 10224 Town Hall be officially retired?

• In 2014, tagged or labeled "retired"
    • In 2015 or later, tagged or labeled "retired"

In most of Europe except for the UK the ceiling is still 300 euros so almost 100 less than Us prices after conversion. I wonder how much of that is due to scarcity and how much is hype/reseller buying in the US.

Edited by valenciaeric

Would you buy 2 NIB Green Grocers for $483 today?   Many of us think TH is on the same trajectory; in fact, it's far exceeded the pace of GC (as has FB and even GE).  GC was selling at $280 18 months after EOL.  YMMV, and this may be beyond dumb.  Risk/reward, like anything in this game.

Personally, I'm not buying TH at $500.  Not because I don't think it will make money at that price point.  It's more that I believe $500 is better invested in other sets with a greater overall potential for return.  I've been socking away PS lately at MSRP.  My last big post-MSRP purchase has been GE.  I did put away a few more at the $230 price point for that set; my own bet is that GE is the only retired modular going for under $350 right now, and that the TH (and to a lesser extent, FB) frenzy is going to catch GE sometime this year.

Speaking of retired modulars, anyone else notice their are no more used CCs for sale almost anywhere? eBay is out completely.  And the last few NIB GC sales have been $1300+.  Wowser.  The upside on the early modulars seems pretty darn high.  Of course, UCS MF and TM showed that there is a market for $3000+ sets; crazy as it sounds, I think CC (and ultimately, maybe TH) could see those numbers a few years out.

Edited by diablo2112

Hey, it's all just speculation, and I hope you're right.  What concerned me about the $483 TH sales was not the dollar amount but that the sale was apparently to an investor.  I'd be more comfortable with any price point if it represented sales to end users rather than speculators.  I remember back in maybe August of last year some guy was posting about buying SSD at $670 as an investment.  Well, considering fees, he's still underwater on those by around $60 per set (assuming sale on eBay).  He could have, as you say, put that $670 into three HH and change, four GE (still available at LEGO Shop at Home then), or even three TH.  Paying 2x MSRP for an investment set is seldom the best use of cash.

• Like 4

Hey, it's all just speculation, and I hope you're right. What concerned me about the $483 TH sales was not the dollar amount but that the sale was apparently to an investor. I'd be more comfortable with any price point if it represented sales to end users rather than speculators. I remember back in maybe August of last year some guy was posting about buying SSD at $670 as an investment. Well, considering fees, he's still underwater on those by around $60 per set (assuming sale on eBay). He could have, as you say, put that $670 into three HH and change, four GE (still available at S@H then), or even three TH. Paying 2x MSRP for an investment set is seldom the best use of cash.

It depends if a special situation arose. I agree it is probably not the best option for most of the time investment-wise.

Why would people pay 2x MSRP for any set? If people believed the set is going to reach 3.5 x (or more)MSRP. It's def a gamble but could be rewarded if the set jumped to $1k.

In my opinion...Of all the retired sets in recent years, only 3 have a chance to get near $1k : 10224 TH, 10221 SSD, & 10228 HH. Thus if someone missed the boat, I can understand them buying at 2x MSRP despite the opportunity cost.

In my opinion...Of all the retired sets in recent years, only 3 have a chance to get near $1k : TH, ISD, & HH. Thus if someone missed the boat, I can understand them buying at 2x MSRP despite the opportunity cost.

Sorry guys... What is HH set?

Update from jaisonline.

I meant 10221 SSD. ISD, SSD, too similar in terms of letters :)

Edited by jaisonline