What Lego set did you sell today and for how much?

• 5 years later...
Can't really explain why but I too placed my first brick link orders last week. Very bizarre that I have inadvertently joined an apparent trend. 
Do sellers start picking as soon as they raise an invoice? I did have one order that I was reconsidering due to PayPal, handling and shipping costs that almost doubled the cost of a lot but didn't want to start out with negative feedback. 

Probably not a good idea, because I've been burned a few times (wasted time), but I generally will pick and pack, then send an invoice so I can provide an accurate shipping cost.

It's burned me a couple of times when the buyer doesn't pay or cancels because of shipping costs.

You have to remember the marketplace you are buying on. On eBay, my pricing includes additional costs - eBay fees, included postage. On BL, I can charge a lot less, because the fees are a lot lower (10% vs 3%) and I make the buyer pay shipping.

That's the downside, as a seller though. Because you could order sets on Amazon and not pay for shipping and you're ordering sets on BL and suddenly paying $50 in shipping costs. But you definitely need to even the playing field to compare pricing.
  • Like 1

Guest betsy805
50 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

Can't really explain why but I too placed my first brick link orders last week. Very bizarre that I have inadvertently joined an apparent trend. 

Do sellers start picking as soon as they raise an invoice? I did have one order that I was reconsidering due to PayPal, handling and shipping costs that almost doubled the cost of a lot but didn't want to start out with negative feedback. 

I don't always pick right away, especially with newer buyers as they have a higher tendency to change their mind about an order.  As for shipping/handling, if you're trying to buy from the USA the shipping for overseas is ridiculous now.  I used to be able to ship small orders for $6.55.  Now it's a minimum of $12.83 for shipping costs!!

I need to find another local reseller. I am not a super big reseller but I sure buy like one. I sell here and there and I totally missed the Amazon wagon. So I have a buddy who makes his entire living selling on Amazon. I met him when we was responding to one of my CL selling ads. He lives about 5 hrs away and can only make it down here once or twice a year. It's nice because when he comes he spends atleast $3000. I get to make room and free up money to buy more. I sell sets to him at a fair price. I make money but still leaves meat on the bone for him to profit aswell. Problem is my buying outpaces his buying.. Lol. I may have to start up a Bricklink store. I really don't want to have to return to selling on eBay. I hate shipping things and getting ripped off. I will take a hit to profit before going through all that again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I don't. I only pull the order upon payment.

2 hours ago, minicoopers11 said:

I don't. I only pull the order upon payment.

1 hour ago, Pebble&Park said:

I'm the same.

What do you guys do about shipping?  I've been doing this for a couple of years now, but I still don't feel confident on the shipping price (for BL) to be able to estimate close enough that I don't end up burned.

3 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

What do you guys do about shipping?  I've been doing this for a couple of years now, but I still don't feel confident on the shipping price (for BL) to be able to estimate close enough that I don't end up burned.

Wait for 5 days, after this BL will provide automatic invoicing. This means that you will be able to know all the fees BEFORE submitting your order. Unique prerequisite will be that the seller supports it, like I will do in my famous BL store...

Edited by mauro23

49 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Estimate packaging weights based on the order and determine the shipping based on that. I've become good at this through experience. Occasionally I'll underestimate on a very large order since I get few of those, but that hurts less due to the volume of the order, and then we're talking about eating maybe 1-2 extra pounds of shipping on a 20+ pound order anyway.

Edit: I assumed you're asking from the seller point of view. If you're asking from the buyer point of view, just request quote before placing order. You can either do this using the "Request a Quote" feature by adding items to cart and choosing that option or you can e-mail the seller (some disable the request a quote option for who knows what reason).

Edit edit: Unreasonable shipping fees are a valid reason for a buyer to cancel an order on Bricklink, IF the seller does not spell out shipping fees in their store terms.

Edited by minicoopers11
  • Like 1

Guest betsy805
1 hour ago, Alpinemaps said:

For selling? I just use the weight that shows up on the order and add an ounce for the bubble mailer.  If it's boxed sets they're ordering I do pull it and put it into an unsealed box to weigh it.  Then I go to paypal.com/shipnow and type in their address to create a label with the given weight and see what it will cost, but not actually purchase the label.

1 hour ago, minicoopers11 said:

Estimate packaging weights based on the order and determine the shipping based on that. I've become good at this through experience. Occasionally I'll underestimate on a very large order since I get few of those, but that hurts less due to the volume of the order, and then we're talking about eating maybe 1-2 extra pounds of shipping on a 20+ pound order anyway.

36 minutes ago, betsy805 said:

For selling? I just use the weight that shows up on the order and add an ounce for the bubble mailer.  If it's boxed sets they're ordering I do pull it and put it into an unsealed box to weigh it.  Then I go to paypal.com/shipnow and type in their address to create a label with the given weight and see what it will cost, but not actually purchase the label.

Yes, asking about selling.  But I just realized that I'm mostly selling sets on BL, and not parts.  Makes sense that parts are going to be far easier to determine a shipping weight.  And that makes sense for the picking for the order.  I wouldn't want to pick parts under I was paid, either.  Sets are bit easier to deal with.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alpinemaps said:

Yes, asking about selling.  But I just realized that I'm mostly selling sets on BL, and not parts.  Makes sense that parts are going to be far easier to determine a shipping weight.  And that makes sense for the picking for the order.  I wouldn't want to pick parts under I was paid, either.  Sets are bit easier to deal with.

I sell only sets.

1 minute ago, minicoopers11 said:

I sell only sets.

Okay, pretty much the same as me.  I probably suck as guesstimating weights (as well as box sizes), until I pull the stuff out.  So I don't like to send an invoice out until I know exactly what we're talking about weight-wise.

Okay, pretty much the same as me.  I probably suck as guesstimating weights (as well as box sizes), until I pull the stuff out.  So I don't like to send an invoice out until I know exactly what we're talking about weight-wise.

I've sold enough sets that I'm familiar with the weight of a box, and I always estimate high. I quote a max price. For new buyers I often tell them, this is an estimate, I guarantee it won't be more than this. If it is, I'll refund the difference. I seldom refund, but I have and they never complain. Most seem quite pleased.

Also, I recycle boxes. 99% of the time. My garage was getting full of un-flattened boxes. So one day, when my wife had enough, I went in with a razor, a tape measure and a baby scale and weighed each box as I flattened them and wrote it by their measurements.
Next time, I'll write them down on a separate piece paper and input them on to spread sheet. A 12x10x10 box will pretty much weigh the same regardless who made it.
  • Like 2

Sets are pretty easy, just add 1 lb for the box unless your set is close to a full pound, in that case you have to measure with the box. I always assume a 24x18x6 box for large sets and I'm always happy if I find a smaller box and pocket an extra buck.

7 hours ago, mauro23 said:

Wait for 5 days, after this BL will provide automatic invoicing. This means that you will be able to know all the fees BEFORE submitting your order. Unique prerequisite will be that the seller supports it, like I will do in my famous BL store...

I have not looked into this option that much but how will the system know if it requires to be shipped in a box vs bubble mailer?  I think a decent example is a Buildable Set which weight about 8 oz and with a box about 14 oz, but if you were to get parts of 8 oz, you could ship it even with extra padding for 10-12 oz.   Again, apologize on not looking myself yet, I'm still getting used to where to find this kind of "what's up and coming news" at BL.

Sold another tumbler for £250 with £1 FVF fee, so clearing about £80 after all deductions. This will probably go much higher in years to come but need to clear out inventory and also not so keen on really long term holds now due to cloners and stagnation in market

• Like 1

I took advantage of the 10% eBay bucks promo to move some new but damaged box sets and some used sets that I'd recently acquired on CL. I posted about one of the CL hauls a couple of months ago that included mostly Winter Village sets and Creator houses - after selling the odds and ends from that lot (keeping the Winter Village and houses) and a second used collection I picked up on CL, I'm now $1.38 away from paying for both hauls with some more sets and a lot of used parts and mini figures left for BL, so thats nice. Anyway, after a pretty slow late May / early June on eBay, I definitely had an uptick of sales during the %10 buying window. This was the first time I've had a lot (by my small timer standards, about 15 items) listed during a promo, so I'm curious if any of you veterans keep track of the percentage increase of sales you have during promo times? I imagine there is usually a small but noticeable increase, but then again, when there is a selling promo as well, competition definitely increases. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Huskers1236 said:

Sold 2 10241 Maersk EEE today for $250 each.  Going to hold one to build eventually.

Still the best looking set on display in a while.  Great executive desk piece...  Well in my case shelf cause I'm not an executive but sounds good

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

Still the best looking set on display in a while.  Great executive desk piece...  Well in my case shelf cause I'm not an executive but sounds good

I want to buy some 3rd party stickers to get some more variation in the containers.  All Maersk is kind of boring.  Never had the earlier iterations of the container ships.

• Like 2