7965 - Millennium Falcon

johncrumpton

Same here. I am sitting on 3... just want to see if it is time to dump or sit and watch. I personally will be getting one of the new one for personal collection unless this version of MF tanks 

I think the time to dump was a few months ago right before/just after the episode 7 set list was leaked. At this point if I still had any I would probably hold long term to see how it compares to the new set and for the OT die hards in the future. Unless you need the money, of course.

• Like 2

The sweet spot to sell pricewise would appeart o have been April/May, the new one is basically a 2015 Model Year iteration and 8 out of 10 people would not know the difference - the box art is probably the biggest change along with the minifigs. Reminds me a bit of a certain toy shop set......

The new one is going to take the bulk of sales and only completists are going to be after the old one. The correction in prices already happened so now it is probably going to stagnate around the 200 mark or have very gentle increase.

• Like 2

That's a difficult one to figure out. It can go either way...keep and increase it's value because it's based on the OT and the minifigs are charecters from the old movies, OR price point gets drawn back because the one is essentially the same set with little tweaks and new minifigs.... who knows...

I bought four because i found them at very good price. Never meant to make much on them, but sold 3 of them already. Wonder what to do with the last one ...

Exactly... build it or stash it away till the new one has retired. That is what I do with my last one.

By then, news about the next Falcon will begin - this has been a never ending cycle (since the 1st Falcon arrived).

You just need to move them while prices are still in the sweet spot.

• Like 1

For anyone that still have the 7965 I would hold them, I still have 15 and I am holding on to them, does anybody really think the value of these will really fall to retail price of $140 from a yr or so ago. Its anybody's guess on what these might be selling for this Christmas and beyond but I would say it looks good for staying in the $250 and up range.

• Like 3

I think resale will hold for a little while. Who wants a lego sw set w "Disney" on it

I do. Most won't care. Disney has a huge fan base with about 95% crossover with Star Wars fans. It will only help sales to have their marketing behind it. I think most are happy Disney is adding movies, toys, other media and theme parks.  All Star Wars investors should be pleased that the franchise is only growing in popularity.  Disney was the ideal buyer for fans and I couldn't be happier. They are a great company.  

This is set should do fine as now they can make more Millenium Falcons without it being the exact same version. Prices certainly won't be going down. 

• Like 2

For anyone that still have the 7965 I would hold them, I still have 15 and I am holding on to them, does anybody really think the value of these will really fall to retail price of $140 from a yr or so ago. Its anybody's guess on what these might be selling for this Christmas and beyond but I would say it looks good for staying in the $250 and up range.

Thanks for the input. I refuse to sell for less than 250. Last one i sold was 258. Im only holding 3 at this point. 1 to build w boys and two for....... some other day.

I don't know, there has to be a reason Han pimped out the Falcon with that sexy new rectangular radar dish.  You don't want to make the Kessel run in an obsolete ship, do you?

It's because Lando broke off the round one while attacking the 2nd Death Star . . . this one has a lower profile making it less likely for that sort of thing to happen again.

Edited by Caltrops

The market, as always, decides what value a set has. In this case, it´s the seller who has to decide whether gains of maybe an extra 20% on top of its current price are worth their while (hold time, storage space, capital tied up over prime EOL period, risk the new one does sink prices).

For my profile, these sets are best bought cheap and turned over quickly so the cash can be used for other things.

What happened to the price of this set in the US when the new version was announced?

That was before pictures of the actual set  were released which confirm it to be near identical.... When the new one comes out and gets down to 100USD on discount, most people are going to be looking very hard at those satellite dishes to justify paying 2.5 times more! Of course, hoarding 7965 till the new one retires as well or sells out at Xmas is another option but is it really going to ever be a 300/350 USD set?

I´d rather be clearing the shelves of the new one before the Xmas rush.....

• Like 3

I had 9 of these originally, sold 5 for like £245 each on Amazon, soon after the announcement (all sold very quickly btw.) I bought in at around £90 each, so a solid quick turn around, I will keep my last 4 till next Christmas, see where it stands and decide from there.

Good job, I see you used your profits and fed yourself very well.

Edited by Miami Bomb Squad
  • Like 1