7965 - Millennium Falcon

johncrumpton

​well here is your brand perception proof. once general population realizes that its all the same the prices will adjust, until then exclusively amazon for this guy.

​Prices are more competitive for those who've proven themselves reputable, which is the case for any marketplace.

• Like 1

​all it takes is for lego group to go afoul with any special interest groups and cause general population to shun the brand. falcon = worth less overnight

​shun the brand, falcon being the topic here...

7965, im not saying to stop investing, just realize there are risks, 7965, and it has been proven many times over in the past that all "golden goose" investments, possibly including 7965 in an alternate universe, are bound to stop laying eggs.

​Sorry, your statements make no logical sense.  If public shunning of the LEGO brand makes a stack of Falcon worthless overnight, how is it not applicable to stacks of FB, GE, etc ? 

​Sorry, your statements make no logical sense.  If public shunning of the LEGO brand makes a stack of Falcon worthless overnight, how is it not applicable to stacks of FB, GE, etc ? 

​not sure where you got confused. if the public shuns the brand, it includes all sets, however you wanted a falcon discussion here, hence frivolous references to 7965. granted certain highly sought after sets will be the exception, but 7965 is not one of them.

Edited by jerryherb
  • Like 1

​Which shows just how many buyers are deceived. 

For now, Amazon is more interested in getting more sellers, but in time they will look to focus on protecting their reputation. 

This is the golden age for selling on Amazon (if your conscience isn't bothered).

You could have the same argument with Bricklink vs Ebay. People shop on site that they are comfortable with and know about. People are willing to pay more for peace of mind even if they know there are cheaper alternative. For a fact, some lego on Bricklink is much cheaper than ebay and amazon but I doubt most ordinary folks will actually purchase from bricklink even if they knew about it.
  • Like 1

You could have the same argument with Bricklink vs Ebay. People shop on site that they are comfortable with and know about. People are willing to pay more for peace of mind even if they know there are cheaper alternative. For a fact, some lego on Bricklink is much cheaper than ebay and amazon but I doubt most ordinary folks will actually purchase from bricklink even if they knew about it.

​I won't talk about it at length here, but I'll be providing a "card" for BPers to include in the Amz eBays sales mentioning BC to help spread the word. Post to come....stay tuned.

​I won't talk about it at length here, but I'll be providing a "card" for BPers to include in the Amz eBays sales mentioning BC to help spread the word. Post to come....stay tuned.

​I've thought about doing that but if a user reported you to eBay you are in violation of your agreements with them. I imagine they'll let slide certain things because they do get your name, address and in certain circumstances phone number (for customs clearance, it sometimes prints on the forms) but not a blatant attempt at advertising outside of eBay. This is the Canadian site page, but I imagine it's the same everywhere.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html

Now... I would think that any REASONABLE person would love the chance to buy at lower prices so the risk is low, but it's there since we know eBay and Amazon are full of weirdos buying stuff at inflated prices.

Have I ever made a sell outside of eBay to an eBay customer? Maybe, but I don't advertise it.

​I've thought about doing that but if a user reported you to eBay you are in violation of your agreements with them. I imagine they'll let slide certain things because they do get your name, address and in certain circumstances phone number (for customs clearance, it sometimes prints on the forms) but not a blatant attempt at advertising outside of eBay. This is the Canadian site page, but I imagine it's the same everywhere.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/rfe-spam-non-ebay-sale.html

Now... I would think that any REASONABLE person would love the chance to buy at lower prices so the risk is low, but it's there since we know eBay and Amazon are full of weirdos buying stuff at inflated prices.

Have I ever made a sell outside of eBay to an eBay customer? Maybe, but I don't advertise it.

​that is a good point and I have thought about that. I too would answer "Maybe"

I'll see what Jeff/Ed say.

Advertising, cards, etc in packages actually have a negative effect from my perspective, unless it is something representing a site or seller that the package was from. The intent is good, but spam can tend to irritate people.

the best way to drive me to a site is by search engine placement. if I am impartial to who I buy a 7965 from and Amazon pops up first, then that's likely where I will purchase from.

• Like 1

back to the MF discussion, I just sold one via craigslist for $179.  I know it's a "low" price, but consider I bought in only last Nov, I would rather take some solid profit and re-invest the money into another (hopefully soon to be retired) set than to take my chances that the new MF set is all sold out by Christmas and people will want to buy the 7965 set at inflated price again.  My investment strategy, my decision.  

Edited by Dkc

back to the MF discussion, I just sold one via craigslist for $179.  I know it's a "low" price, but consider I bought in only last Nov, I would rather take some solid profit and re-invest the money into another (hopefully soon to be retired) set than to take my chances that the new MF set is all sold out by Christmas and people will want to buy the 7965 set at inflated price again.  My investment strategy, my decision.  

$179 is really not low when you considering the savings on shipping and fees. Sounds about right! Cash in hand!

• Like 1

around these parts we started calling 7965 the Money Factory but Millenial Filcher was a close second. unquenchable demand makes this set a win-win-win.  sell now,  sell later.  make mo money no matta what.  buying a set before it retires, it retires and goes up in value, you sell and make money - what a concept.  figure out how much you wanna make list it at that price - get it.  

• Like 1

Advice requested: sale price of set

My cousin bought her 12 year-old son a MF set two years ago.  The kid opened the box and all the #1 bags, then decided it was going to be too complex and lost interest.  All other bags are sealed, still have the box and manuals in good condition, and all minifigures and pieces are present except the helmet for Luke's lightsaber training.

The box is not new due to the opened box and bags, but had about 10 minutes of total use.  What would you, my fellow BPers, suggest as a fair price?  Asking $150 on CL right now.

Advice requested: sale price of set

My cousin bought her 12 year-old son a MF set two years ago.  The kid opened the box and all the #1 bags, then decided it was going to be too complex and lost interest.  All other bags are sealed, still have the box and manuals in good condition, and all minifigures and pieces are present except the helmet for Luke's lightsaber training.

The box is not new due to the opened box and bags, but had about 10 minutes of total use.  What would you, my fellow BPers, suggest as a fair price?  Asking $150 on CL right now.

I would say that is pretty fair 

• 2 weeks later...

I've been offered $188 for brand new in sealed box 7965 MF. Can meet in person close by, no postage required. Worth it or hold out? Would be a $54 profit for me.

Depends on how many you have. If you have more than three I would sell. Also nothing beats cash-in-hand. 

• Like 1