7965 - Millennium Falcon

johncrumpton

A few minifigs (Luke/Leia/Obi-wan/Han) in 7965 are exclusive but I don't think the difference are big enough to be considered special compare to other similar minifigs.

While if the new EP7 MF has some mods related to the movie not to mention new minifigs that's different than 7965, then 7965 might be the last OT MF of this style/size we will see in a long time.

I only have one so I'll likely keep it just for the OT memories. If I have more I'll probably sell  before it hits the store (if you are not willing to hold for more than a year) as people will likely buy the new one this coming holiday instead.

Edited by bricker123
  • Like 1

i agree about the minifigs.  only luke's head, leia's hair and han's legs are exclusive. actually, han's legs are also found on that DK book's han fig w/ the medal on the chest.

i only sold my son's 7965 because of the lackluster outer design (folding openings, small cockpit, hard to reach areas and the landing entrance ramp was useless).  he didn't like it. 

if the new one is decent, we can always add a circle radar dish to it along with the minifigs :)

A few minifigs (Luke/Leia/Obi-wan/Han) in 7965 are exclusive but I don't think the difference are big enough to be considered special compare to other similar minifigs.

While if the new EP7 MF has some mods related to the movie not to mention new minifigs that's different than 7965, then 7965 might be the last OT MF of this style/size we will see in a long time.

I only have one so I'll likely keep it just for the OT memories. If I have more I'll probably sell  before it hits the store (if you are not willing to hold for more than a year) as people will likely buy the new one this coming holiday instead.

let me know how that approach works out for you in 4 months.

​OK. I really doubt you want me to come back in 4 months and tell you how it went, you are clearly just trying to tell me I made the wrong choice. But I still like it better than the approach of racing to the bottom with all the morons.

• Like 2

to each their own. i sold 5 in the last 24 hrs netting over $200/ea after fees and shipping. with a  ~$70 buy-in last summer, how is that for ROI? moving on...

is there a moron badge? i guess i need one of those

surprisingly 6 out of last 8 customers are women

edit: make that 6 in last 24hrs

Edited by jerryherb

Yeah but your CAGR is much worse than selling it for slightly less 2 years ago. With 7965 the smartest tactic will probably sell final quarter for around 300-350 when SW mania goes crazy and stock hs thinned out and reinvest in the Exclusives that retire.

The people who are gonna be willing to pay 350 when there is a cheaper and possibly better alternative will be very few and far between.

• Like 1

I still have 15 of the Falcon 7965 and will be holding on to them, I see no reason why these will not increase in price, it could explode in Dec, but sooner or later they will, there will be millions of new Lego Star Wars investors and fans with the new movies coming out, so don't panic sell just hold on to them and they will do OK.    Ed

• Like 4

I still have 15 of the Falcon 7965 and will be holding on to them, I see no reason why these will not increase in price, it could explode in Dec, but sooner or later they will, there will be millions of new Lego Star Wars investors and fans with the new movies coming out, so don't panic sell just hold on to them and they will do OK.    Ed

I can see many reasons why this set won't increase in price from where it sits now.

*EDIT* I think it will go up a little from where it sits now actually but the people thinking it will explode might be disappointed.

​Holding until 2017... what is the CAGR in that time? Yes, it matters. A big 7695 takes storage space and ties up capital. I'm not a short hold flipper at heart, but with some sets, like 7965, it makes sense to sell it before the drop. I made about 70% profit on my 7965 sales for less than 6 months in storage (I bought them last winter/fall). I sold mine before the official list of new sets was out, and must say I'm very happy with that gain. Why hold for another two years or more for only an additional modest increase? 

It all comes down to strategy, and for often rehashed sets, holding long term isn't always the best choice. 

*edited to add*

I will say this: if I hadn't already sold, I'd hold right now. No need to compete with the panic. Let the dust settle. 

Well at least you are covering your bases!

Going back through this thread is amazing. All the logic about OT holding its value and the everything Star Wars is going to blow up (including prequel and clone wars sets) because the Star Wars fan base is huge is ever-growing has been recklessly abandoned because of fear-mongering from a few new sets coming into the mix.  Now everybody is jumping off the cliff.

I'll hold. This is actually one of the iconic OT sets that is actually RETIRED, so that combined with all the lemmings dumping their stock is all the decision info I need!

need a lemming badge too...

but on a serious note. it all depends on your strategy; whether you want to get rich by turning your money around quickly or have a warehouse and unlimited amount of storage and costs associated with that to use for a longer, steadier return, but lower ROI. im kind of in the middle of the road and see the new falcon as new hot OOS toy for xmas so thats where the OT falcon proceeds are going. doubling my funds  (after costs) in the shortest amount of time is my goal so in this case good bye 7965, i'll take my money now please.

Edited by jerryherb

i'm having a conversation with you and did not state your stance is correct or not.  what's correct for someone could be incorrect for wrong.  it's about each person's investment goals.

additionally, please do not refer to other BP members as morons.  this is an informal warning to everyone.

​OK. I really doubt you want me to come back in 4 months and tell you how it went, you are clearly just trying to tell me I made the wrong choice. But I still like it better than the approach of racing to the bottom with all the morons.

• Like 1

​Now please tell us how many you sold? 135?

i'm having a conversation with you and did not state your stance is correct or not.  what's correct for someone could be incorrect for wrong.  it's about each person's investment goals.

additionally, please do not refer to other BP members as morons.  this is an informal warning to everyone.

​Where did I refer to BP members as morons? I was talking about the people on ebay racing to have the lowest price, which everyone in this thread agrees is a bad move.

I sold all of my 7965's, doubled my money after fees.  I'm happy with that, even if it goes up in price later on.  I have very little storage room, and it's only getting smaller as my kids acquire more junk.  My rule of thumb is to dump when I can double my cash.  Of course, there are some special sets that I will hold onto longer, but 7965 isn't one of them.

Unlike a lot of people, I do like the set.  I think in terms of design, they did the best they could given piece and price constraints.  If anything, it provides a nice base to start modding one, which I might do at some point.  The new one comes in with a similar price and piece count, I don't see it being too different from 7965 from a design perspective.

• Like 3

​Where did I refer to BP members as morons? I was talking about the people on ebay racing to have the lowest price, which everyone in this thread agrees is a bad move.

Ok cool.  I misunderstood.

yeah, people do unnecessarily undercut at times.  There is zero reason this set should be declining in value until another month or so when pics are leaked.  It's not like the avg ebayer Lego / SW fan knows when the "refresh"  is arriving,

I sold all of my 7965's, doubled my money after fees.  I'm happy with that, even if it goes up in price later on.  I have very little storage room, and it's only getting smaller as my kids acquire more junk.  My rule of thumb is to dump when I can double my cash.  Of course, there are some special sets that I will hold onto longer, but 7965 isn't one of them.

Unlike a lot of people, I do like the set.  I think in terms of design, they did the best they could given piece and price constraints.  If anything, it provides a nice base to start modding one, which I might do at some point.  The new one comes in with a similar price and piece count, I don't see it being too different from 7965 from a design perspective.

I totally hear ya about the space and kids.  That is the main reason I sold all my MISB 7965s (along with many, many other sete) for $140 - $150 each plus postage before they popped (in the what seems like a matter if mins) to $200 plus.  I just couldn't hold onto my lots due to space and honestly, I thought the set had 6 more months of retail life at the time.  

I'm hoping Lego can somehow make a removable top on the new one (sorta like the vintage Kenner Micro and 3.75 ones.  That style was awesome for inner access.  Worst case is that I buy son another used 7865 for cheaper than what I just mine if they new one stinks.

Agreed, this set only retired about 6-8 months ago. I will hold the 6 i have left.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying the 7965 at $120. Not for the ROI, but collecting only. It's really the only OT vehicle that I need to complete my collection. I'm hoping to maybe get the new Ep 7 Falcon, but I will not have the OT figs to go with it. Oh well. 

Edited by tk924

Previous Falcons that were similar in size to the 7965 were very average, if not below average performers after EOL.  In the article I did for BLOCKS magazine, I took a look at all the previous Falcon versions and their returns and was not impressed.  If you check out the chart below (data is several months old), you will see what I am talking about...

MILLENNIUM FALCON LEGO SETS

Set Number & Type

Year

Pieces

MSRP $

Current $

ROI %

7190 (Regular Scale)

4488 (Mini Scale)

4504 (Regular Scale)

10179 (UCS)

7778 (Midi Scale)

7965 (Regular Scale)

75030 (Microfighter)

I think maybe the converstaion should be whether or not this set is a good investment at all, not whether you should sell it now or keep it for 10 years.  The newest version might be the best investment choice besides the 10179, but until something comes close to the Big Daddy of LEGO sets, these smaller Falcons will always be the ugly ducklings of the STAR WARS sets in my opinion.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Edited by Ed Mack
  • Like 2

Yes, but this type of set is buy-in price critical. Those of us who stocked up at 30-70% off or more just before it went poof (and there were a lot of us) have had very decent returns and super CAGR.

I can understand people who paid 70-80 USD preferring to unload now and those who paid more or RRP and above  (and were gently advised not to on this site). will just have to sit tight and ride it out.

Edited by valenciaeric