7965 - Millennium Falcon

johncrumpton

I will not list details as I do not want to get my post deleted but in February of this year there was a posted list that got removed from here, there, everywhere that showed this years set releases and promotional items on a month by month basis...

I have not audited but I believe it has been spot on or near perfect on every set release timeframe and promotional poly

If true what is coming out later this year for Star Wars is very exciting.

Edited by trekgate502

I  have (2) that I plan to sell. Still in sealed case. I've been stalling to see when might be the appropriate time to sell.

the question remains as to whether the newer version will truly affect it's value. It may stall but given the connection to OT and non disney branding on box art it may do well down the road. (beyond the release of the 2015 version) To the typical consumer it won't matter and they will go after the cheaper (newer set)

​The typical consumer will have little effect on the value of the 10179.  Hardcore STAR WARS and LEGO fans who have huge wallets are the target...and there are plenty of them.  There are a ton of wealthy geeks around.  The average consumer will stop buying the 7965s and move to the cheaper set, but the 10179 just has too many things going for it to be greatly affected by any release short of an exact duplicate of the set.  

• Like 1

​I've got a 7965 that I'm holding onto to build.  I've got a 3 year old son, as well.

I originally thought that I'd be holding onto it for my son and I to build.  But then I realized - 7965 if *my* MF, not his.  He will be of a generation with a square radar dish MF.  He's really not going to care about mine.  It won't have nearly the same meaning as it does to me.  And, maybe, the new MF might more be his MF than 7965 ever will be.

That helped me make the decision to dump.  I'm happy with what I got for the 7965s that I got rid off.  I think it's just too risky to keep holding on to.  (Just remember, with great risk comes the potential for great reward.)

​I'm in the same boat with a couple of x-wings (9493).  I'm sitting on two of them, and i've considered just holding steady with them.

I haven't opened either of the 2, and was considering just seeing what the new one will be like, and then determine to either let my son open one, or hold them both until at least next year.  Granted, what it really boils down to with these sets is going to be the minifigs.  Are the OT minifigs that much of a draw to hold AFOL interest?  With the old falcon, i think the Leia, Luke, and Obi figures could be a draw.  With the x-wing, i'd say the same thing. It's all about the minifigures, if it's going to retain any value, because the new ones will more than likely have a similar build, but different minifigures.  You won't have young luke, leia, han, etc with them.  Instead, we willl probably see old luke, old han, old leia, etc.  I still think the originals could hold some value, just on that alone.  OT sets are winners.

Edited by fossilrock

I will not list details as I do not want to get my post deleted but in February of this year there was a posted list that got removed from here, there, everywhere that showed this years set releases and promotional items on a month by month basis...

I have not audited but I believe it has been spot on or near perfect on every set release timeframe and promotional poly

​I have audited it, and so far, so good.  There was one set that the date got changed on by 5 days.  Otherwise, through the end of May, it's been correct.

​The typical consumer will have little effect on the value of the 10179.  Hardcore STAR WARS and LEGO fans who have huge wallets are the target...and there are plenty of them.  There are a ton of wealthy geeks around.  The average consumer will stop buying the 7965s and move to the cheaper set, but the 10179 just has too many things going for it to be greatly affected by any release short of an exact duplicate of the set.  

​The risk/reward on the 10179 is just too high. Unless LEGO were to stop making UCS sets, they will inevitably make another UCS Falcon. The argument that the 10179 is just too big and beautiful to make a difference doesn't really make a lot of sense. Its no secret that people will pay thousands for the 10179 (which LEGO certainly knows) - so why wouldn't LEGO take it a step further?

Please share said list! Please? :)
  • Like 3

​The risk/reward on the 10179 is just too high. Unless LEGO were to stop making UCS sets, they will inevitably make another UCS Falcon. The argument that the 10179 is just too big and beautiful to make a difference doesn't really make a lot of sense. Its no secret that people will pay thousands for the 10179 (which LEGO certainly knows) - so why wouldn't LEGO take it a step further?

For many of us fortunate owners of a 10179, it's all house money at this stage.  ​At this point in the EOL afterlife of the 10179, the people currently buying this set at $4000 are anal completists that have the wherewithal to do so.  These are not your regular LEGO STAR WARS fans and many of these collectors (like myself), want all the UCS sets.  The 10179 will plateau at some point, but even a possible remake could be similar to the 10240/7191 situation in which the 7191 has leveled off in price, but has remained at a pretty constant $900 level for a year or more.  I just don't see a crash and burn for the 10179.  

With the manner in which Disney is releasing these new movies (a sequel, then a prequel, then an off shoot movie), it is always possible the older Millennium Falcon version (round radar) can see the big screen again, so a new UCS version is always possible, but it could also make the 10179 even more valuable if one is never produced.  

• Like 1

​Gad to hear Sticky didn't get them.

​Sticky made it .5 past light speed on his way to federal ..... me in the ... prison as i turned over all i had including his name to the police today.... or rehab depending on how well he can play the world's smallest "im addicted to meth" violin when he appears in front of a judge for the nth time. cops were very specific asking regarding whether this was a private courier or USPS package

Edited by jerryherb
Edited content
  • Like 1

With such strong demand, i'd really consider holding half your stock until after the movie or raising your prices.  I just think demand for these older OT sets are going to be even stronger come December 18th.  I'm going to go against the grain on this one a little.  Once people are like "holllllyyy cow, that movie was awesome, I MUST BUY THE TOYS for my kids, just like I had as a kid"... then they see all the lego sets that they missed out on, many of which are retired and have the OT stamp, it's more than likely going to only get better.  Granted, new falcon vs old falcon, but there's going to be a lot of new AFOLs out there partial to the OT version.

Of course the movie could suck, and the hate machine could be cranking on high, at which point, you might be glad you sold them all now.  But, with such a good amount of stock, you don't want to blow them all early.  :)

• Like 1

With such strong demand, i'd really consider holding half your stock until after the movie or raising your prices.  I just think demand for these older OT sets are going to be even stronger come December 18th.  I'm going to go against the grain on this one a little.  Once people are like "holllllyyy cow, that movie was awesome, I MUST BUY THE TOYS for my kids, just like I had as a kid"... then they see all the lego sets that they missed out on, many of which are retired and have the OT stamp, it's more than likely going to only get better.  Granted, new falcon vs old falcon, but there's going to be a lot of new AFOLs out there partial to the OT version.

Of course the movie could suck, and the hate machine could be cranking on high, at which point, you might be glad you sold them all now.  But, with such a good amount of stock, you don't want to blow them all early.  :)

​thats good advice, however, if one wants to keep a decent cash flow and was able to pick these up for ~$60 at target last summer its already a sweet return without the risk or what-ifs.

​thats good advice, however, if one wants to keep a decent cash flow and was able to pick these up for ~$60 at target last summer its already a sweet return without the risk or what-ifs.

​That's true.. But, id still recommend at least holding onto a few.  You might be able to blow the final ones out for over 350 to 400, if you hold onto them another year.  At 60.00 you aren't losing money, and you're basically playing with great profit money at that point.  Then next year, use that 700 from the final 2 to scoop up 10  AT-ATs and rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

Leaked picture of the new millennium falcon. Sell!!!!!!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Brickpicker mobile app

post-31479-14259512039109_thumb.jpg

​Gah!  Just went back through the forum's history and stumbled across this photo...

What are you trying to do, holleman67?  Send me into a seizure? :P

Actually, I'm quite impressed by the ingenuity of lacing this together with available parts on hand.

• Like 1

I think you are a tiny bit confused, the market for OT sets isn't the kids I dont think. I don't think it's the parents of those kids either, it's the adults who want the sets for themselves. Not that it matters much because the OT sets are gonna be scooped up regardless. Just won't be for little kids to destroy, misuse and misplace. The kids will be perfectly content with the newest sets.

• Like 1

I think you are a tiny bit confused, the market for OT sets isn't the kids I dont think. I don't think it's the parents of those kids either, it's the adults who want the sets for themselves. Not that it matters much because the OT sets are gonna be scooped up regardless. Just won't be for little kids to destroy, misuse and misplace. The kids will be perfectly content with the newest sets.

​Hence why I said "AFOLs"..  I didn't use the term KFOLs.  Newly emerged AFOL's will see these sets and buy them mostly for themselves.  So, i'm not really as confused as you think.  I realize who the target market is.  Most kids are going to be into the new episode 7 sets and that will be their generation of toys, not these retired OT sets, although there maybe a few here and there they will want.  I'm sure anything with Jabba, or ewoks could be wanted by little critters.  But for the most part, AFOLs are going to be the ones that will be buying the retired OT sets.

Personally, my little boy prefers the prequel film sets over the OT sets, to my distain.  Anything with battle droids he's into, and they get more play than any of the OT sets.  The OT sets tend to be more for my nostalgic tastes.  We built the snowspeeder a few months back, and i whoosh it around the room more than he does. 

• Like 1

​Hence why I said "AFOLs"..  I didn't use the term KFOLs.  Newly emerged AFOL's will see these sets and buy them mostly for themselves.  So, i'm not really as confused as you think.  I realize who the target market is.  Most kids are going to be into the new episode 7 sets and that will be their generation of toys, not these retired OT sets, although there maybe a few here and there they will want.  I'm sure anything with Jabba, or ewoks could be wanted by little critters.  But for the most part, AFOLs are going to be the ones that will be buying the retired OT sets.
Personally, my little boy prefers the prequel film sets over the OT sets, to my distain.  Anything with battle droids he's into, and they get more play than any of the OT sets.  The OT sets tend to be more for my nostalgic tastes.  We built the snowspeeder a few months back, and i whoosh it around the room more than he does. 

​I think Stephen was referring to your comment "Once people are like "holllllyyy cow, that movie was awesome, I MUST BUY THE TOYS for my kids, just like I had as a kid"" which implies AFOLs buying these sets for their kids. I know that's what I did with G1 transformers. I bought a bunch of them + reissues of the originals for my kids and refused to buy much of the newer junk. I know LEGO is a little different, but the principle of buying what you like for your kids is valid IMO.

I think it will really depend on WHAT the new MF is... If it's the same old, this one will suffer. If the design is better but comes with crappy minifigs, this one will do just fine. If the design is better but comes with superior minifigs, this one will suffer... etc.

Except for our personal MF, my stash is gone and I don't feel the least bit remorseful that I sold them. There is always something else you can spend your LEGO dollars on (like those damn JW sets that are growing on me every time I see their most excellent box art).