Craigslist robin hoods?

willy431

NM

Great argument here.

Seriously I get what you are saying and I am with you. I think we would be better off if people didn't care so much about money and so little about the people we are taking it from.

Yeah i had a post laid out then deleted it. I hate to come off as the "why cant we all get along" guy, but there are serious problems in the world today that won't be solved until more people admit that morality does have a part to play in "making money."

• Like 1

Craigslist ranting by a (semi-wealthy) weirdo.  Let's all go back to sats.....Let's see who can get it the fastest....we all know the correct answer....

Craigslist rants are to willy

As

ebay rants are to.   

I'll give a Small hint......we both complain about them....but use them to..

Make money!

I don't really think there is such as thing as "passive" investing. You're either out there seeking money "greedily" or you're not...

If we really break it down aren't all money making ventures that deliver you more than the utmost bare minimum of life's needs greedy?

Though I see where you are coming from Diablolos, I have to agree more with Willy here, and remind everyone here that the stated purpose of this website, is an "investing guide" We all are trying to make money I'd think. Most times that means profiting off of someone else...or how I like to think of it... my hard work and dedication...

• Like 1

I think the founders might slightly disagree with you about this website's purpose, but that's irrelevant. I respect you guys and I certainly envy the profits some of you report. Also, i have been known to score a great deal occassionally. Mostly from apathetic (not ignorant) sellers.

But in a discussion with no money on the table, I don't think it's so unthinkable to consider another view of what we do.

From a personal standpoint, I don't see any problem with buying something from someone at the price they listed regardless of whether or not I know it is at well below market value, and I do not feel contractually obligated to tell them differently. The seller put the item up for what they felt was a good price, I thought it was a good price, we both came to an agreement, seller walks away with the amount he/she wanted and I got my item. That's it. There is nothing morally wrong with any part of that.

How does anyone know the seller did not realize the item's real worth? Perhaps the item was not selling at the perceived market value so they lessened it to find a buyer. Maybe they just wanted to get rid of it. Who knows really?

About the only thing on pure principal that would get a negative note is when a buyer and seller agree to a certain price beforehand and then later on the seller raises it for whatever reason. For example, if somebody had listed a set for $30 when it is actually worth $60, both buyer and seller agreed on the price it was listed for, but then they meet up and the seller wants to all of a sudden raise the price up to $60 because now he/she knows the real value. I'm sorry but that is just plain bullspit. I mean, a person should stick to the amount which was agreed to all the way through. On the same token, if the buyer goes there and then lowballs the seller that is just as equally wrong really.

Point is whatever the price somebody lists anything for becomes agreed upon should be followed through on either side of the equation. If you wish to dicker price then do so before (virtually or verbally) shaking hands through phone or email. To agree on one thing to then try and alter the deal afterwards is messed up, and there is no moral obligation to tell someone what their item for sale is actually worth if it happens to be more than what they listed it for.

Remember, anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

• Like 3

Drat!  Foiled again!   Cloud city listed for 300 today.  Emailed him that I would take  it..and just give me address...I would be there in 20 mins.   Got email back 10 mins later that I was first but someone offered 350.  I told him I really wanted it for my collection and would pay $400.  He just emailed me that someone sent him a link to bricklink..and it's worth almost 900!  I asked him if they offered him 900..he said no..THEY WERN'T INTERESTED..JUST TRYING TO HELP HIM!!!  I said wow...I can't pay that...what are you asking...he said 800.  Told him to stuff it up his @$$.  Done with Boston craigslist....my heart can't take this anymore!

!

post-14194-0-94488900-1382814779_thumb.p

post-14194-0-50522800-1382814794_thumb.p

post-14194-0-59648300-1382814810_thumb.p

Drat!  Foiled again!   Cloud city listed for 300 today.  Emailed him that I would take  it..and just give me address...I would be there in 20 mins.   Got email back 10 mins later that I was first but someone offered 350.  I told him I really wanted it for my collection and would pay $400.  He just emailed me that someone sent him a link to bricklink..and it's worth almost 900!  I asked him if they offered him 900..he said no..THEY WERN'T INTERESTED..JUST TRYING TO HELP HIM!!!  I said wow...I can't pay that...what are you asking...he said 800.  Told him to stuff it up his @$$.  Done with Boston craigslist....my heart can't take this anymore!

!

Man that is messed up. Sorry for that loss. That looked like a great deal.

$400 is a fair cash offer. Let him stew for a week, , he's not gonna get $800 on CL. Also, what the hell is going on in boston? Cloud city, really? My CL is full of duplo and spongebob. I never see ucs or exclusives... Well i saw a taj once but it was a scam.

My CL has a bunch of duplo and overpriced bionicle sets.

This is where it's at....really. There are 4 lego stores within 50 miles, tons of fans....every kid around here loves it...many lug groups and the kids builds are filled to capacity every time. The schools have lego teams that compete state wide as well. Lots of wealth in the northeast corner where I am. It used to be fish in a barrel before these people started linking to bricklink and such. Costing me thousands now In lost deals that I used to score. I got 4 4842 hogwarts castles in one day over the summer. 2 nib, and 2 complete used. 175 for the 2 used, and 300 for the 2 new. All different people.

It's not even competition which I thrive on....I am fighting an enemy unknown...who seems to be wasting his days trying to ruin brick picking on Craigslist. My favorite past time. That cloud city was literally listed for 8 mins before I emailed to buy. Someone was watching it at the same time. Who didn't even want it. wtf?

This is where it's at....really. There are 4 leg stores within 50 miles, tons of fans....every kid around here loves it...many lug groups and the kids builds are filled to capacity every time. The schools have lego teams that compete state wide as well. Lots of wealth in the northeast corner where I am. It used to be fish in a barrel before these people started linking to bricklink and such. Costing me thousands now In lost deals that I used to score. I got 4 4842 hogwarts castles in one day over the summer. 2 nib, and 2 complete used. 175 for the 2 used, and 300 for the 2 new. All different people.

It's not even competition which I thrive on....I am fighting an enemy unknown...who seems to be wasting his days trying to ruin brick picking on Craigslist. My favorite past time. That cloud city was literally listed for 8 mins before I emailed to buy. Someone was watching it at the same time. Who didn't even want it. wtf?

That is messed up. That unknown person gives the seller the real value of the set, and then the seller tries to sell it for that price on craigslist. That is not going to happen anytime soon. If you want to get that kind of money for  a set, sell it on eBay.

Willy.. It looks like its time to turn the tables. Post your own CL add for some awesome deal and get that ass hats email or phone number!

maybe I ought not suggest it but now you've got me riled up reading your post! If you do just use a one time email address and let's see how this clown acts when you tell him to mind his own damn business and you'll sell it for however little you want!

I know this is most likely very unlikely, but, hey, maybe this could happen.  If a CL Robin Hood is a Lego investor, by emailing or calling citizen sellers, they are helping by driving the prices up.  Regardless of area, when a person selling Lego sells at the correct price, the buyer (if it is an investor) has to increase his selling price to turn a profit.  Not saying this is ideal, but I don't buy lots off CL or used sets at garage sales.  If one could curb the buying or increase the sell price of Lego on CL and at garage sales, then my prices are better as a seller of clearance lots.  It would take a large group of people to monitor CL and 'inform' the citizen sellers of price corrections, but someday it might happen.  Once there are too many Lego investors, and once they have too much stock, not one of them wants someone buying a lot off of ebay or CL at a discount or uniformed prices.  

One of the lessons of business is:  Corner the market, then drive up prices.  In Lego brick, no one is going to corner the market, but one may drive up prices with some emails and phone calls. 

This is where it's at....really. There are 4 lego stores within 50 miles, tons of fans....every kid around here loves it...many lug groups and the kids builds are filled to capacity every time. The schools have lego teams that compete state wide as well. Lots of wealth in the northeast corner where I am. It used to be fish in a barrel before these people started linking to bricklink and such. Costing me thousands now In lost deals that I used to score. I got 4 4842 hogwarts castles in one day over the summer. 2 nib, and 2 complete used. 175 for the 2 used, and 300 for the 2 new. All different people.

I think I found your culprit

• 3 weeks later...

Foiled again!

Emailed that I would come get this lot in 30 mins....lady emailed me back that someone told her it was worth $200! And she was going to have her son realist it.  I sent her an email back that there was no way it was worth $200...and if the guy said it was worth $200...why wasn't he buying it.  I told he  I would go to 75 only if she has figures and  or manuals.  No response.  

This was 15 Damn minutes!  I've been getting a lot of scores lately....I think I am on to him now.  He works Fri Sat and Sun aft and evenings. All my scores are midweek or early mornings. 

post-14194-0-46919900-1384565942_thumb.p

set them up with a sting listing of your own.  oh and tell us if they fall for it

The problem is all he'd get is an email telling him his Lego were worth more - this guy isn't looking to buy, just to spoil sport for others. I don't know what could be done to get Creepy McCreeperson to actually out himself - for all we know, he's one of the more self-righteous members of this site.  :turned:

• Like 1