Craigslist robin hoods?

willy431

You literally can not get into the bedroom! It's a small room...but still was a bedroom---I filled it floor to ceiling front to back and barely can get the door closed. 2 regular closets filled, and 2 WALKINS filled! Good thing they have sliding doors!

Man, that must be a lot of sets and a lot space used. It is not fun when the set you are looking for is at the very back of the storage space and you have to move everything to get to it.

Quite the investment.... My wife thinks I'm crazy and I'm nowhere into it the way some of you guys are (not for lack of trying). She looked at me funny when I came home after spending $988 on legos at TRU today. I told her that it all came from the $3k Amazon paid me last week, so it's cool. She gets the flipping for profit idea, but when I spend all of the profit on more stuff to flip she gets a little agitated.

• Like 1

Lol! Great fun guys! Never heard of that show! I didn't show the 4 closets STUFFED with new sets---or our spare bedroom completely full of new sets. It's embarrassing. I am going to have some splaining to do on thanksgiving when the Inlaws come.

I told my wife to start dropping hints at my lego madness now...so they aren't totally shocked. We are just about done buying (how many of us say this every week---before we buy more) -we even have sets stuffed under our beds, behind couches, above the laundry soap in the upper cabinets, under the sink, above the oven vent cabinet thing, We are literally out of control. Now what time is tru open till again tonight!?

Don't forget the ceiling tiles. You can get a lot of sets stuffed up there, and they will be out of sight, out of mind.

The problem is all he'd get is an email telling him his Lego were worth more - this guy isn't looking to buy, just to spoil sport for others. I don't know what could be done to get Creepy McCreeperson to actually out himself - for all we know, he's one of the more self-righteous members of this site.  :turned:

"Creepy McCreeperson"...lol. That sounds like a villain from Scooby Doo.

So the Craigslist lady that started at 30, went to 200, is now running an auction. She supposedly has someone on the line for 130. She didn't know that was me with a different Craigslist anonymous email address. She emailed me at a different address and said she had a buyer at 130 asking if I would pay more. Told her to stuff them.

She emailed my other address and we set a date. She is driving to meet me at ikea parking lot in stoughton tonight at 730. She is going to be waiting for a long time! Take it you greedy hag! First Robin Hood ruined my day....so I am going to ruin her night!

Too bad I have a life (small one, but still). Would be awesome to figure out where the hell stoughton and ikea even are...and drive there just to throw a Wendy's waffle cone on her windshield. That would really tie this days stories together, would it not! And they peed on your rug?

post-14194-0-91585000-1384725328_thumb.j

• Like 1

So the Craigslist lady that started at 30, went to 200, is now running an auction. She supposedly has someone on the line for 130. She didn't know that was me with a different Craigslist anonymous email address. She emailed me at a different address and said she had a buyer at 130 asking if I would pay more. Told her to stuff them.

She emailed my other address and we set a date. She is driving to meet me at ikea parking lot in stoughton tonight at 730. She is going to be waiting for a long time! Take it you greedy hag! First Robin Hood ruined my day....so I am going to ruin her night!

Lmao you just made my day. That was an ingenious solution. Maybe she will email your lower price email and take what she can get now?

Heh. I like it. 

I have actually had people not show before though and you wait FOREVER just thinking they are late.

This is why I only talk to people on the phone before hand and get a cell phone number now. I wasted some much time back when I was craigslisting a lot.

That is the plan! Muh ha ha!

She is going to be wishing she just took the 30 bucks last night! I was going to pick them up at her house with cash. She could have enjoyed her weekend!

She spent the better part of the day taking more photos for me and her "other buyer". Time emailing back and forth seeking bids and making a date, now off to a parking lot to wait in the cold rain! Even told her I might be a bit late as I've never been to that ikea before.

Here is a topic that I am sure many re-sellers have either experienced or will experience.

When does a great deal become wrong? When does selling an item today that you know will be worth much less tomorrow become wrong?

As far as purchasing items - As an example, is it wrong to pay $50 for sealed classic UCS sets when the seller has no knowledge about its value. As a seller, is it wrong to sell once thought to be exclusive items (minifigs, poly bags, etc) that you find out will be made widely available (before the buyers have that knowledge)?

This issue can also go into online and in store glitches, mispriced items, etc.

Where is the line? Is there a line?

Maybe as resellers, we are all so far past the line (buying at prices when we know they are too low, & selling at prices when we know they are too high) that we can no longer tell.

Here is a topic that I am sure many re-sellers have either experienced or will experience.

When does a great deal become wrong? When does selling an item today that you know will be worth much less tomorrow become wrong?

As far as purchasing items - As an example, is it wrong to pay $50 for sealed classic UCS sets when the seller has no knowledge about its value. As a seller, is it wrong to sell once thought to be exclusive items (minifigs, poly bags, etc) that you find out will be made widely available (before the buyers have that knowledge)?

Maybe as resellers, we are all so far past the line (buying at prices when we know they are too low, & selling at prices when we know they are too high) that we can no longer tell.

If we really want to know the answers to this and much more, we need to just look deep inside ourselves and...

Ask Jeeves! He always knows the answer.

Are you just trying to stir the pot? I mean seriously, you do realize that you're on a website that is based on the purchase of legos at the lowest possible price (why we all alert each other to deals) and hold them for as long as you can to sell them at a higher price later?

Is there something wrong with purchasing a share of Walmart stock today, with the hopes that it will grow in value so that you can sell it later on for more money?  How about gold? Should we not purchase gold or other precious metals with the hopes it will be more valuable in the future? Are you going to sell your house for the exact same price you paid for it 10 years ago, if the real estate market has increased it's value?

Of course not. One of the major concepts of this site is to buy legos as an investment. It's why there's a portfolio for your lego purchases.

You claim that a seller has no knowledge of it's value. Hmmm... if we were in 1980 I'd say you have a point. However, this is 2013. All you have to do is type in the information on the front of your box into eBay and you can see EXACTLY what they are going for. If a person CHOOSES to ignore all of the tools at their disposal and still sells for considerably less than it's worth, then shame on them. Forgive me if I don't see a deal and tell them, "Oh, that's WAAAAAY too low. Allow me to pay you exactly what it's worth."

Walmart, Target, and Toys R Us don't operate like this. They purchase their legos from Lego for much less than they are selling them for. So why don't you take your soapbox over to them and lecture them too on the evil practices of capitalism.

• Like 1

Are you just trying to stir the pot? I mean seriously, you do realize that you're on a website that is based on the purchase of legos at the lowest possible price (why we all alert each other to deals) and hold them for as long as you can to sell them at a higher price later?

Is there something wrong with purchasing a share of Walmart stock today, with the hopes that it will grow in value so that you can sell it later on for more money?  How about gold? Should we not purchase gold or other precious metals with the hopes it will be more valuable in the future? Are you going to sell your house for the exact same price you paid for it 10 years ago, if the real estate market has increased it's value?

Of course not. One of the major concepts of this site is to buy legos as an investment. It's why there's a portfolio for your lego purchases.

You claim that a seller has no knowledge of it's value. Hmmm... if we were in 1980 I'd say you have a point. However, this is 2013. All you have to do is type in the information on the front of your box into eBay and you can see EXACTLY what they are going for. If a person CHOOSES to ignore all of the tools at their disposal and still sells for considerably less than it's worth, then shame on them. Forgive me if I don't see a deal and tell them, "Oh, that's WAAAAAY too low. Allow me to pay you exactly what it's worth."

Walmart, Target, and Toys R Us don't operate like this. They purchase their legos from Lego for much less than they are selling them for. So why don't you take your soapbox over to them and lecture them too on the evil practices of capitalism.

Wow - You seem to have had one too many cups of coffee. I am certainly not saying whatsoever that it is wrong to make a profit. Just looking to see where people draw the line. In particular when it comes to taking advantage of the misinformed.

If I were to list something for $50 when it is really worth half that and still someone bites, the only person at fault is the buyer as it is their choice to do so. No one forced them and that was their choice to make.

No to both remarks. If a seller places a 'well below value' price on their item then they were lax in researching current market value thoroughly or perhaps the person just needed to get rid of it quickly (for a move or something), and items change their exclusivity all the time (think polybags) so you can't blame someone for trying to capitalize on that 'exclusiveness' while the item still yields it (Comic-Con 2011 Superman & Comic-Con 2013 Azog for example).

If we are going into the 'Walmart Wednesday' fiasco, well, the company needed to close down the site for the day on maintenance but despite all the incorrect listings they still kept the site up. Some people scored big simply because they wanted to and you can't exactly fault them for that unless one of them was the unknown hacker who deliberately attacked Walmart's site just so they could get some cheap Lego or more than likely steal people credit card numbers from all the charges that day.

As for in store, if I were to find a set with an official clearance tag on it yet still rings up retail (or even a slightly higher price), I will have them match the sticker price. I'll even go to customer service if need be because it is their actual sticker slapped across the box. I did not put it there so it had to be a store employee unless some random guy is running around printing these things yet doesn't buy them him/herself. There is a point where I may question what the price sticker is doing there but, hey, if I find say a Pirate Ship Ambush for $40 in the clearance aisle I'm snagging it so fast your head would spin right off.

There is a line such as running out of the store with unpaid goods, swapping price stickers, creating false UPC codes, site hacking, etcetera, but "buying too low" or "selling too high" makes little sense. Far as buying goes, if someone at Target slaps a sale sticker or messes up the price on an item, it is their mistake and I should not feel guilty for buying it. And with selling, any jackwagon can list whatever they want for the price they wish but it only works when someone comes along and is willing to pay. Otherwise it is much like every other unsold listing.
  • Like 1

There is a line such as running out of the store with unpaid goods, swapping price stickers, creating false UPC codes, site hacking, etcetera, but "buying too low" or "selling too high" makes little sense. Far as buying goes, if someone at Target slaps a sale sticker or messes up the price on an item, it is their mistake and I should not feel guilty for buying it. And with selling, any jackwagon can list whatever they want for the price they wish but it only works when someone comes along and is willing to pay. Otherwise it is much like every other unsold listing.

This reminds me of that dumb ass silicon valley exec who was swapping lego upc labels at target.

This reminds me of that dumb ass silicon valley exec who was swapping lego upc labels at target.

That is exactly who I was referring to as it was downright theft. If the company (seller) makes a mistake then it is fault on their part but when somebody (buyer) intentionally overrides the system such as what that guy did then it is stealing.

Guest brickcrazyhouse

try to think of "the line" as one of those british wavy road lines.  

As long as you don't mislead a buyer, I see no reason to give out all information about an item.  take the clone lieutenant polybag, folks paid big bucks when they thought it was only available at a CA legoland event.  If I had seen it going to be a freebee everywhere, I'ld sell (asap) it and describe it by how I obtained it.  If someone is going to buy something it's on them to do the research.