Mac or PC?

spener90

33 members have voted

1. 1. Mac or PC?

• Mac
    • PC
    • Linux
    • Android

Vista was actually very stable AFTER about 1000 patches and right along the time 7 was released (surpise, surprise!).  I would not put any running machines in any 34 degrees+ environment.

Bit difficult not to in a non air conditioned office. I was finding excuses to go into the 18 degree comms room.

With apple to are paying for the little badge on the lid. Just like buying a BMW. The most expensive part of the car is the little propeller badge on the bonnet.

• Like 1

I think Windows 8 would qualify as rubbish either way.

I've been satisfied with the speed and stability of Windows 8 on my Lenovo Y500 laptop; of course, I did install software to restore the Windows 7-style Start menu (I used Stardock's Start8 to accomplish this for $5, but there are free alternatives).  The Windows 8 start screen and "Modern" tiles may look pretty, but they're not optimal for non-touch devices.  Windows 8.1 is a step in the right direction, but I still think Microsoft shortchanged the needs of traditional laptop fans with Windows 8.  

Windows 8 makes much more sense on a Microsoft Surface, Lenovo Yoga, or similar touch-enabled device.  Once I set up my mom's Yoga (update drivers, install some of her favorite programs), she loved it.  All the convenience of her old first-gen iPad with faster hardware and a wider variety of available software. 

For myself, I found Windows XP the best system overall. It hasn't crashed on me yet for no reason at all or given me the 'blue screen of death'. I have to use Windows 7 at and for work. Wow, a whole lot of flash but little substance. A big boss processor and it still has moments where even trying to load up Office causes the system to go slow as molasses, and it takes like 15 minutes to a half hour (sometimes longer) to load up the computer completely and well enough to let me do anything from startup. My personal computer with XP takes a minute to fully load and it's ready to boogie.

For myself, I found Windows XP the best system overall. It hasn't crashed on me yet for no reason at all or given me the 'blue screen of death'. I have to use Windows 7 at and for work. Wow, a whole lot of flash but little substance. A big boss processor and it still has moments where even trying to load up Office causes the system to go slow as molasses, and it takes like 15 minutes to a half hour (sometimes longer) to load up the computer completely and well enough to let me do anything from startup. My personal computer with XP takes a minute to fully load and it's ready to boogie.

I am the same way. never have a problem with my XP machine.

• Like 1

Guest eightbrick

PC. A lot of people say Macs are more intuitive, but who needs intuitive now when you can just check how to do something up on google. Plus the pricing is pretty ridiculous. I will always rather have the blue screen of death over a creepy color wheel.

PC. A lot of people say Macs are more intuitive, but who needs intuitive now when you can just check how to do something up on google. Plus the pricing is pretty ridiculous. I will always rather have the blue screen of death over a creepy color wheel.

Lol so true. It only takes 47 steps to change your IP address on a MAC.

Interpreted wrong. Sorry wasn't clear enough. Apple is moving towards non-upgradeable parts. Soon, hard drives in their systems aren't even going to be user-servicable. 

I definitely agree with you there. I have the new 15" MacBook Pro Retina. Everything is SSD and soldered, so the RAM is permanent and non-upgradable. Can't complain though, I love this thing. Yes, I realized there are cheaper, possible equivalent, alternatives, but I went with Mac purely on personal preference.

This is like asking if Coke or Pepsi is better. *cough* coke *cough*

Sure. Nothing weird :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:

Aahhh Networking. The process of shoving cables into holes and swearing loudly at them 'til they work.   :bug:  :mad:  :dance:  :afro:

Yes they did.

I am not complaining about the price of the base system. But charging someone $300 to upgrade a harddrive or processor that isn't even your own equipment and provides no special care is extortion.

People pay it because they don't realize you can open it and do it yourself.

Ssshhhh. Don't tell them!!   :cigar:

I have just been given a work Windows 7 laptap and it is similar. 30 mins to boot up after an automatic update. Which I can switch off!! But I don't think its the O/S here, its all the security crap the companies put on. My Win7 PC & laptop at home boot up in under a minute. And the Laptop goes to sleep and does not take 5 minutes to wake up like the work one.

I definitely agree with you there. I have the new 15" MacBook Pro Retina. Everything is SSD and soldered, so the RAM is permanent and non-upgradable. Can't complain though, I love this thing. Yes, I realized there are cheaper, possible equivalent, alternatives, but I went with Mac purely on personal preference.

This is like asking if Coke or Pepsi is better. *cough* coke *cough*

Coke!! Must be Full fat coke, none of this diet rubbish. Apparently you can remove the rust from nails with it as well - science experiment my cousin did when she was at school. :)

I have just been given a work Windows 7 laptap and it is similar. 30 mins to boot up after an automatic update. Which I can switch off!! But I don't think its the O/S here, its all the security crap the companies put on. My Win7 PC & laptop at home boot up in under a minute. And the Laptop goes to sleep and does not take 5 minutes to wake up like the work one.

Yeah, I have no idea just how many things are running on in the background of my work computer or on the startup list for it. It's somewhere around 60. My home PC barely has 27 processes running in the background at any given time and only a few when starting up. Man, CCleaner may very well be the best bit of freeware out there! :)

To add, the security programs such as Norton or McAfee really do slow things down by a huge margin.

The desktop PC I built idles at approx 500mb memory usage on boot up. The laptop and the Vista desktop, both shop bought idle at approx 1gb. Shows all the rubbish companies bought on them. Its also why I could get away with only 2gb of RAM when I built it in 2009 when memory was really expensive.

Now, what's CCleaner??

I use to be a 100% Windows backer. Then Bill left and we were given Vista. Win 7, the F'in RIBBON, and Win 8. While I still use a Windows laptop at work, I use my MacBook Pro at home. Since Vista, MS continues to ruin their products by making simple tasks harder or longer to execute (e.g. More mouse clicks ever to change your resolution or enable / disable Wi-Fi adapter). ...Dint even grt me started on their GUI. Honestly, my Mac OS is more like XP than Windows 7 and 8 but with more multimedia capabilities. Now if only programming apps worked on the Mac OS natively.

100% agreed.

My Win7 desktop boots in 25 sec and turn off in 10. When you know how to build and setup a PC Windows, they are rocket fast ;)

Guest ph4tb0i

Database developer here. I use a Lenovo T520 with these specs. 

I7-2860QM (8 Physical, 16 Logical Cores)

16GB Ram

120GB MSATA SSD

500GB 7200RPM HDD

Nvidia Optimus NVS4200M

1920 X 1020 FHD+ Screen (23" same resolution external)

eVGA GTX 550 TI External PCI-E card (basically I'm using an external desktop graphics card with my laptop via the ExpressCard slot. Look up External PCI-E if you want to know how to do this). 

Windows 8 Pro. 

Personally I love Windows 8. I found the performance enhancements and the ease/speed of search much better than Windows 7. I do miss having the Windows 7 layout but Win8 hasn't really been that bad to me. 

Actually got the laptop half price at around $700 last year when Lenovo screwed up pricing on their website. :D

^nice specs.  I got a custom desktop in the spring with SSD, 16gb and i7 unlocked, love the speed and can't imagine going back to regular standard drive.  Win7 not Win8 for me.  At least prices has gone down for computer parts.  Waiting for a really good deal on the next gen tablet (android hopefully) since my Playbook is a bit slow and heavy haha.  

100% agreed.

My Win7 desktop boots in 25 sec and turn off in 10. When you know how to build and setup a PC Windows, they are rocket fast ;)

If only companies would let you build your own. But no, you must have the company standard build, with the company standard software.  :ireful:

Get a solid state hard drive. U can get the boot sequence down to literally 5 seconds. Don't have to wait for the hard drive to start spinning

I saw a nice one for sale on ebuyer the other day. A 996GB SSD. Only