Mac or PC?

spener90

33 members have voted

1. 1. Mac or PC?

• Mac
    • PC
    • Linux
    • Android

Apple can build that same machine for $200 too. You pay Apple the $1300 difference to get the fancy Apple logo on your laptop

Lol for sure.

Actually too I have disassembled several Mac Books. They are engineered extremely poorly to ever fix. It is awful. As an Electrical Engineer, their wiring and design a travesty if you ever expect to  possibly have to change the screen, or the webcam, or anything like that.

My brother broke his screen. Apple said it would cost $1200 to fix. I bought the screen for $50 and fixed it in one night.

Lol for sure.

Actually too I have disassembled several Mac Books. They are engineered extremely poorly to ever fix. It is awful. As an Electrical Engineer, their wiring and design a travesty if you ever expect to  possibly have to change the screen, or the webcam, or anything like that.

My brother broke his screen. Apple said it would cost $1200 to fix. I bought the screen for $50 and fixed it in one night.

I do agree, Mac can be far too costly.  I have a Macbook pro that I used during school for Final Cut Express, and a Mac Mini (because it's mini and can fit under my screen with ease.).  I do hope to build a Windows computer someday, but Microsoft has done a lot to get on my bad side lately...

Guest ph4tb0i

Lol for sure.

As an electrical engineer that's worked in electronics manufacturing and supply chain at one point I fail to see why Apple has to design a commodity item with ease of serviceability to the general public since reverse logistics and repair services can be a huge part of a manufacturer's profits. It's also a trade off sometimes between easy serviceability and elegant design (though as a boring engineer I prefer Lenovos more than anything since you can disassemble T and W thinkpads so easily!)

btw, ERTW! :D

As an electrical engineer that's worked in electronics manufacturing and supply chain at one point I fail to see why Apple has to design a commodity item with ease of serviceability to the general public since reverse logistics and repair services can be a huge part of a manufacturer's profits. It's also a trade off sometimes between easy serviceability and elegant design (though as a boring engineer I prefer Lenovos more than anything since you can disassemble T and W thinkpads so easily!)

btw, ERTW! :D

They don't have to for the public. They should for there own reasons. It's asinine to design a car that you can't service without dissembling it, right?

They don't have to for the public. They should for there own reasons. It's asinine to design a car that you can't service without dissembling it, right?

Am I being to cynical by saying that is part of their business model ?  That mess of a design would justify the hours spent and $ they would charge to fix any problems.  Once the multiple fixes fail to fix the problem, their very loyal customers are forced to buy a new machine to replace the broken one.  More :money: for Apple any way you look at it 

Guest ph4tb0i

Manufacturers will often have custom jigs/rigs assembled to take apart devices (e.***. a service provider I worked with once used to have a rig where they can completely tear down 4 iphones in less than 10 seconds). That's why while it's hard for you to service for the tech at the factory it can be ridiculously easy. 

Guest ph4tb0i

Am I being to cynical by saying that is part of their business model ?  That mess of a design would justify the hours spent and $ they would charge to fix any problems.  Once the multiple fixes fail to fix the problem, their very loyal customers are forced to buy a new machine to replace the broken one.  More :money: for Apple any way you look at it 

+1

Retailers (and especially cell phone carriers) are charged big bucks to fix things for extended warranties, customer loyalties, etc. There is a lot of money in the electronics repair services industry. Also don't forget that as our devices feature more integrated functionality that it becomes more and more complex, so engineers have to struggle with fitting everything inside a very small area while ensuring safety/health/environmental regulations are met at a cut throat price. 

It is their business model but that doesn't mean we have to like it. I'm just glad I can do my own (PC) repairs.

Oh I agree with this and its definitely why. But as an engineer it disgusts me because I am about open source, open models, etc. We should share knowledge with eachother

+1

Retailers (and especially cell phone carriers) are charged big bucks to fix things for extended warranties, customer loyalties, etc. There is a lot of money in the electronics repair services industry. Also don't forget that as our devices feature more integrated functionality that it becomes more and more complex, so engineers have to struggle with fitting everything inside a very small area while ensuring safety/health/environmental regulations are met at a cut throat price. 

This is actually slightly untrue. Things become smaller because all the complex tiny pieces become smaller. As transistors become smaller, 99% of the electronic world gets smaller. It is actually very easy to fit things inside those small cases. Phones could be the size of a marble if someone cared.

We were going that way until people wanted bigger screens. Lol

Guest ph4tb0i

This is actually slightly untrue. Things become smaller because all the complex tiny pieces become smaller. As transistors become smaller, 99% of the electronic world gets smaller. It is actually very easy to fit things inside those small cases. Phones could be the size of a marble if someone cared.

But not all complex pieces can get smaller. A finished PCB yes, but you can't shrink a webcam to a microscopic size simply because you need a minimum size. Likewise for the display, keyboard, etc. I think the issue is that as soon as there is "enough" space engineers struggle to cram as much as they can in there to satisfy the business wants (e.***. if you crack open a Note II the circuit board is tiny but most of the real estate is used towards the battery so they can market that 15+ battery hours or whatever). 

It'd be nice if things were bigger and bulkier with less functionality. Makes reliability better when it can do less so customers ***** less. haha... 

But not all complex pieces can get smaller. A finished PCB yes, but you can't shrink a webcam to a microscopic size simply because you need a minimum size. Likewise for the display, keyboard, etc. I think the issue is that as soon as there is "enough" space engineers struggle to cram as much as they can in there to satisfy the business wants (e.***. if you crack open a Note II the circuit board is tiny but most of the real estate is used towards the battery so they can market that 15+ battery hours or whatever). 

It'd be nice if things were bigger and bulkier with less functionality. Makes reliability better when it can do less so customers ***** less. haha... 

In some maybe. The Iphone5 actually is fairly spacey inside. The macbook pro really is too honestly.

I have taken apart plenty of other laptops. Apple takes insanely longer than any other company I have even dealt with.

You can thank Steve Jobs / Apple for the big screen.  Just a few years ago the trend was to produce smaller and smaller mobile phones.  Apple came along with original iPhone, and boom all the sudden every phone has to be as wide as TI-95 calculators.

Btw, ph4tb0i, enough with typing +1 and embrace the new(ish) forum platform :D :D

• Like 1

Hehe complained about the way words were pronounced. In New Zealand we have a peculiar way of pronouncing "known , shown etc..." We add an I. So it becomes "knowin". Everytime a news reader did he was off. That's not the right way to say that!!!! Naturally as teenagers we did it as often as we could :)

people with the power to create use an apple

Such as?  If you ment artists/photographers/musicians - it's a myth :)  I am from that world and I remember "Industry standard.Period" slogan. It's not any more.   Some of artists I know use macbooks, but most are PC guys.  All software works perfectly under Win.

By the way, the only time I seen BSOD on my comp was caused by iTunes :)

Hehe complained about the way words were pronounced. In New Zealand we have a peculiar way of pronouncing "known , shown etc..." We add an I. So it becomes "knowin". Everytime a news reader did he was off. That's not the right way to say that!!!! Naturally as teenagers we did it as often as we could :)

Lol I can understand that.

You can thank Steve Jobs / Apple for the big screen.  Just a few years ago the trend was to produce smaller and smaller mobile phones.  Apple came along with original iPhone, and boom all the sudden every phone has to be as wide as TI-95 calculators.

Big screens are nice, but it's annoying for me to charge my phone so often.  They seem to forget about battery life all the time.