Are fruitcakes running rampant on eBay lately? Selling, buying, listing, feedback, etc...

jaisonline

1 minute ago, TabbyBoy said:

I just ignore lowball offers and let the buyer wait 48hrs to face disappointed when the offer expires. Upsetting a buyer by taking their bait opens you up to abuse further down the line eg. by buying and then returning an item for no reason.

Oh, I blocked them immediately after the message about buying Lepin.

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy

Please excuse the non-LEGO comment but, do any of you work for Microsoft? I only ask as I need 5 copies of MS Office 2016 Home & Business for Mac. I know this costs £229.99 per 1 licence so how can an eBay seller list 5 licences for just £9.95? I'm thinking of buying but, I don't want to be prosecuted for knowingly buying an illegal product as it's too cheap? If it is genuine, how can they sell it so cheaply? I've filled in a licence report form to see what Microsoft come back with but, they normally take weeks to reply,

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

Please excuse the non-LEGO comment but, do any of you work for Microsoft? I only ask as I need 5 copies of MS Office 2016 Home & Business for Mac. I know this costs £229.99 per 1 licence so how can an eBay seller list 5 licences for just £9.95? I'm thinking of buying but, I don't want to be prosecuted for knowingly buying an illegal product as it's too cheap? If it is genuine, how can they sell it so cheaply? I've filled in a licence report form to see what Microsoft come back with but, they normally take weeks to reply,

Thanks!

Most big companies have signed a deal with microsoft which lets the employees buy MS office for £10 while they work for the company. You are meant to uninstall when you leave the company but there's no real way to monitor that.

You can also pickup MS office for cheap from asda / tesco as they sometimes do deals.

https://www.microsofthup.com/hupuk/home.aspx?country_id=GB

These codes are meant to not to be distributed so there is a high threat that those codes might be banned in the future. Same with all Office and Macrofrost software.
Steam is already banning along with origin and ubisoft all those Cheap keys from G2A.com

There is a long thread about it on reddit.

So my auction closed on Sunday night. No message, payment, or contact with the buyer. I send the customary eBay invoice Monday morning. Nothing. This bidder has been a member for years with a feedback score of 100. 

This morning, I receive a "I did not receive my item" message from the high bidder. "Please provide the tracking number."

Um, no. Not until I see payment thank you very much. My real reply:

"Hello. I am happy to supply a tracking number once this item is paid for and shipped. The auction ended Sunday (February 5, 2017), and I am still awaiting payment. The item will ship promptly once payment is received. Please let me know if you have any questions, and have a good day." 

I grow tired of buyer shenanigans on all platforms. Either I am getting older and grumpier, or more scammers are trying to game the system. Maybe both. 

• Like 2

I have an issue that I am left feeling uncertain about how to proceed.

I purchased an item, it was received fine (positive feedback was left). Seller then sent a message saying that an additional item was also sent with it. I respond that I don't know about any extra item (I didn't), but that I would ask around to see if anyone else (kids, wife, etc) might know of anything (I also suggested that they message other buyers, to see if they might have it). So they then respond, calling me a liar (literally), and suggesting that I either pay for the item, or send it back.

So now, after looking into things - it turns out that an extra item was received.

I don't really care about keeping the item, but I also don't really feel (after how badly they treated me) that they deserve to get it back either.

• Like 1

I purchased an item, it was received fine (positive feedback was left). Seller then sent a message saying that an additional item was also sent with it. I respond that I don't know about any extra item (I didn't), but that I would ask around to see if anyone else (kids, wife, etc) might know of anything (I also suggested that they message other buyers, to see if they might have it). So they then respond, calling me a liar (literally), and suggesting that I either pay for the item, or send it back.

So now, after looking into things - it turns out that an extra item was received.

I don't really care about keeping the item, but I also don't really feel (after how badly they treated me) that they deserve to get it back either.

I think it's just a personal preference on how you want to proceed.  If the seller isn't treating you fairly, then maybe they really shouldn't be treated fairly either.  My opinion, of course.  It would make the decision much easier if they were respectful first.

8 minutes ago, KShine said:

I am know around here for being too generous in these cases, but I would just ignore the negativity from their side and respond very business-like saying "Send me a prepaid label and I'll send it back to you".

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, KShine said:

pretend the person was having a really bad day and that normally they are very nice .  this is your chance to let your humanity shine through.

i would go ahead and send them the item back (after rubbing it on something disgusting).

Edited by cladner
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, KShine said:

this would really irritate me as a buyer.  I hate being called a liar, and that was very unprofessional of the seller.  I would tell them I will ship the item back if you send me a self addressed, stamped box to send it in.  And I would leave neutral feedback with a note about their error and the accusation.  Out of curiousity, what was the extra item, and was it particularly valuable?

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy

In the case above can positive feedback be changed to negative? If a seller accused me of being a liar, I wouldn't put up with it as that's unprofessional and unforgiveable. A seller who is that rude doesn't deserve to be in business whether they are having a bad day or not - there's NO excuse when it's THEIR fault.

The unethical way you could deal with it.... If I sent the item back, I'd just pop it into the thinnest bin-liner I could find and use a really bad courier like UPS. I have a trolling account on eBay (different mailing address, PC on different subnet, address, email, bank, etc.) where I have "fun" with sellers like this. If it escalates and he needs to be taught a lesson, PM me his eBay ID.

2 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I have a trolling account on eBay (different mailing address, PC on different subnet, address, email, bank, etc.) where I have "fun" with sellers like this. If it escalates and he needs to be taught a lesson, PM me his eBay ID.

Ummmmm...do you have too much time on your hands?

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, KShine said:

personally, i would have checked upon receipt and told the seller "hey received extra item if you want it send me return label". 

i would still do that even after whatever is being thrown around. its the right thing to do.

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, KShine said:

It was a new LEGO set (29.99 MSRP).

OMG is that all?

I once sent a LOTR Ship to one buyer by mistake when I should've sent a Sopwith Camel instead (same sized packing box). The buyer obviously highlighted my mistake and I simply sent the Sopwith Camel immediately and told him to just keep the LOTR Ship. Of Course, he was over the moon, but I only paid £12 for the LOTR ships (Asda price error) and £28 for the Sopwith Camels meaning I still made about £40 profit.

3 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

In the case above can positive feedback be changed to negative? If a seller accused me of being a liar, I wouldn't put up with it as that's unprofessional and unforgiveable. A seller who is that rude doesn't deserve to be in business whether they are having a bad day or not - there's NO excuse when it's THEIR fault.

The unethical way you could deal with it.... If I sent the item back, I'd just pop it into the thinnest bin-liner I could find and use a really bad courier like UPS. I have a trolling account on eBay (different mailing address, PC on different subnet, address, email, bank, etc.) where I have "fun" with sellers like this. If it escalates and he needs to be taught a lesson, PM me his eBay ID.

really bad advise. 

things don't happen one way. smoke doesn't come without fire. 

yes, its unprofessional but table can be turned and mentioned that other side was also a liar so its best to hold judgement and be rational.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, newbie77 said:

personally, i would have checked upon receipt and told the seller "hey received extra item if you want it send me return label". 

i would still do that even after whatever is being thrown around. its the right thing to do.

Did you read his post? Kshine responded that he didn't know and would check with others in the house (who presumably opened the parcel) but before he could reply that he had indeed found it, the seller called him a liar.

*yeesh*

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
1 minute ago, Jackson said:

Ummmmm...do you have too much time on your hands?

No, but I'm no pussycat is somebody messes with me for a mistake that they made. LEGO have now twice sent me 2 sets by mistake instead of 1 and, both times I've been told to keep it with their compiments. A decent seller with "only" $29.99 at stake should do the same. Gestures like this can bring in a lot of repeat business.

26 minutes ago, KShine said:

Just return it.. you'll feel better about yourself if you do and that's all that matters. 

(of course, seller must provide a prepaid label WITH tracking - don't accept anything less, it's their own damn fault)

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, gregpj said:

Did you read his post? Kshine responded that he didn't know and would check with others in the house (who presumably opened the parcel) but before he could reply that he had indeed found it, the seller called him a liar.

*yeesh*

yes i read his post. that's why i said what i said.  way i see it is there was mistake made on both side. 

1. yes seller made mistake of sending extra item.

2. buyer i.e. @KShine shouldn't have jumped to respond that he doesn't know about the extra item. usually when you acknowledge receipt of the package and leave +ve feedback and not inform seller of the situation[receiving extra item] things can be perceived a lot of ways. [ @gregpj , @KShine you both have been sellers hence u need to realize how you would have thought about the situation if you were the seller. ]

3. when it has been mentioned that extra item has been sent; it does make sense to respond once you have made the proper investigation.

of course you can argue that you don't make those mistakes :) i.e. sending extra item .. and its completely understandable. we expect buyers to treat us humanely and hence when you are the buyer you should treat sellers humanely as well. its goes both ways.

Edited by newbie77
  • Like 1

Not that my opinion matters....here goes.

I would return the set with a prepaid shipping label from the seller.  However I would also send a message instruction him on manners and the proper way to treat customers.

Tell the seller maybe they should be thankful they are busy enough to make such a shipping/packing mistake in the first place and it is in the kindness of your hear that you would even consider returning the extra item after being treated in such a manner.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

yes i read his post. that's why i said what i said.  way i see it is there was mistake made on both side. 

1. yes seller made mistake of sending extra item.

2. buyer i.e. @KShine shouldn't have jumped to respond that he doesn't know about the extra item. usually when you acknowledge receipt of the package and leave +ve feedback and not inform seller of the situation[receiving extra item] things can be perceived a lot of ways. [ @gregpj , @KShine you both have been sellers hence u need to realize how you would have thought about the situation if you were the seller. ]

3. when it has been mentioned that extra item has been sent; it does make sense to respond once you have made the proper investigation.

of course you can argue that you don't make those mistakes :) i.e. sending extra item .. and its completely understandable. we expect buyers to treat us humanely and hence when you are the buyer you should treat sellers humanely as well. its goes both ways.

Kshine said he hadn't seen it, but would check with other family members, that's very different from saying he knew nothing about the extra item as if he was hiding something.

The seller was then an arse and doesn't deserve any sympathy if he doesn't get the set back, he brought it on himself.

It's very easy to get a package and not notice there's something else in there, you see what you're looking for, especially if it's for resale and the box was put straight into storage. This happened to me recently, didn't notice that Tesco has sent me 4 of a set instead of three. I didn't notice the fourth set hidden under packaging once I'd checked for the 3 I'd ordered.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, brickelements said:

Not that my opinion matters....here goes.

I would return the set with a prepaid shipping label from the seller.  However I would also send a message instruction him on manners and the proper way to treat customers.

Tell the seller maybe they should be thankful they are busy enough to make such a shipping/packing mistake in the first place and it is in the kindness of your hear that you would even consider returning the extra item after being treated in such a manner.

I don't see any good coming from a lecture like that. The best you can do is express perhaps that you are not pleased with being called a liar, and say that as neutral and objective as possible. Something like "I have shipped the extra item back using the label you provided me. Please note that I am a bit offended by being called a liar, and this has put a blemish on an otherwise positive experience."

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
27 minutes ago, newbie77 said:

really bad advise. 

things don't happen one way. smoke doesn't come without fire. 

yes, its unprofessional but table can be turned and mentioned that other side was also a liar so its best to hold judgement and be rational.

That's why I stated "unethical" in my previous comment ;-)

I was badly screwed out of £500 by a seller back in 2006 for 2x 1oz Krugerrands that were sent to the WRONG address by the Royal Mail and somehow obtained a delivery signature from somebody who wasn't me. Because the seller supposedly put my correct address on the package, eBay refused to refund my £500. Even though it was a "postal error", it was still deemed to be my fault and eBay closed the case in his favour. The seller then started to receive lots of negative feedback from other buyers and then disappeared off eBay so something dodgy was going on. At least it was a business seller with a valid address stated on his profile so a few of us drove 50 miles North and paid him a visit. My £500 was quickly recovered in cash without anybody being hurt. The police didn't want to know and a solicitor wanted £250 up front to start proceedings leaving me little choice. Think about it, how pissed off would you have been?

Luckily there's been so serious issues like this since, but I'll fight my corner if I need to.

Screen Shot 2017-02-08 at 17.36.50.png

Edited by TabbyBoy