Comic-Con Exclusive Minifigures 2013

IrishGuy66

Coolest One  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is the coolest one?

• Green Arrow
    • Black Suited Superman
    • Spider-Man
    • Spider-Woman

Why should the people who attend things like this not have the opportunity to get special things? It's the nature of collecting and fan conventions. This has been going on for years, so you may as well stop now if this is the thing that will keep you away. I've never really understood the "if I can't have it then nobody should be able to" mentality.

I'm with Mos_Eisley on this. One of the things that makes these things special and fun to look forward to is that exclusive items. The "If I can't have it, the nobody else can either" mindset is immoral/pointless, IMO. Accept and forget.

If this is how they plan on releasing super hero characters, then i'm out. They are alienating a large portion of the fanbase by making these nearly-impossible-to get exclusives. I'll give it one more year. If they do the same thing again next year, it will be my last year collecting the superhero themed sets and i will sell off the ones i already have. 

The want is much more important than the have.

I never said they should have exclusives at all. What i'm saying is a lot of people got into the superhero line hoping to get lots of new characters. So far, a third of the characters released have been some form of exclusive. I'm not against exclusives. Make an exclusive ship or vehicle or whatever to go with a character. Put it in a special tin like they do with the Star Wars ones. But why alienate the larger portion of the fanbase by making characters exclusive? Sorry, i'm not about to chunk down $200-400 for a single minifig....EVER. And as i said, if i can't even put together a single team from marvel or dc, then why bother at all? I've been collecting Star Wars for over 30 years. It's all these exclusive, chase, limited pieces that have ruined the hobby. It will crumble eventually, just like it did with cards and comics. It was chase pieces that killed the entire Star Trek line by Playmates back in the late 90s. 

I think one of the best aspects of collecting is getting those hard to find items that a "limited" (it still is a pretty large number) number of persons will have. If everyone can get them, then it loses the appeal. Plus, I am sure they will be releasing this characters in some different fashion, maybe even the exact same ones, in the future.

I would think the sdcc figs should fet more than Mr. Gold.  Cooler figures and rarer right?

I would think they should, but they don't and won't just because the shear numbers of CMF collectors push demand up for Mr Gold plus all the hype surrounding him.

If this is how they plan on releasing super hero characters, then i'm out. They are alienating a large portion of the fanbase by making these nearly-impossible-to get exclusives.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree, but I can understand the frustration. I do think there should be unique items one could find at these events as it is what makes them so special. On the other side, I am tired with seeing great characters only being available through an event I'll never be able to attend in my life. I guess I'm fine with the tins and special builds they hand out, but exclusive characters like Bizarro and now Spider-Woman which will never appear in a regular set because of this is very tiring.

I know I would have been ticked in a way if Dr. Doom was one of these exclusives but thankfully he appeared in the Daily Bugle Showdown set. Now if they did alternate versions or different designs on certain characters at these events, I wouldn't be as upset about it. (Like that Spider-Man that looks like the golden age of comics one.)

Again, I do not hate these exclusives or have the childish "if I can't have it, no one can" way of thinking, but that doesn't mean it isn't annoying. It's too bad really cause they captured classic Spider-Woman to a "T".

• Like 1

Is the superman minifigure just General Zod from Metropolis Showdown with Superman's head?! And what's new about spiderman? All I can see is the chest design and the dot pattern. I don't expect him to do backflips or anything, I just expected more I guess!

No the chest printing and flesh-tone hands are different. 

• Like 1

The Brick Show is reporting that 2 exclusive sets are being sold at the SDCC, thus far. One is a micro-scale version of Bag-End, with Bilbo, and the other is a Jek-14 Stealth Starfighter with a Jek-14 minifigure. 

Bag-End: $40.00 MSRP and 130 pieces.

bp_1374190348__screen_shot_2013-07-18_at

Jek-14 Stealth Starfighter: $40 MSRP and 105 pieces. 

bp_1374190232__screen_shot_2013-07-18_at

I think one of the best aspects of collecting is getting those hard to find items that a "limited" (it still is a pretty large number) number of persons will have. If everyone can get them, then it loses the appeal. Plus, I am sure they will be releasing this characters in some different fashion, maybe even the exact same ones, in the future.

I agree - exclusives are good business, period, whether for LEGO itself, the market the exclusive is made for (in this case ComicCon), resellers like many of us are, and even for collectors because of the satisfaction of getting that rarer piece, and of course the value of the collection as a whole down the road, whether for the collector or his heirs.

Lego won't shut people out of entire characters forever - they just won't necessarily be the "exclusive" model - they'll have different outfits or faces or accessories or whatever, so the superhero fans who can't/don't want to shell out big bucks for the exclusives can still collect the characters they like in the cheaper/more common format.

I'm just glad they do exclusive minifigures instead of 800 pc exclusive sets. I'm not a minifig collector, so I don't feel left out. If they released a comic con exclusive Mos Eisley cantina, I'd be pissed. But overall, I hate exclusives and limited editions. Not to say I hate the people who have them, though. But come on, you're already at the coolest convention on Earth. You really need something else I don't have? :)

• Like 2

It really wouldn't bother me if it were just a variation. Things like the "I love NY" Yoda I have no qualms with because you can get a hold of a Yoda easy enough.

Right now though, I am not impressed with how Lego are distributing their minifigs (extending through to video games as well). Key characters like Green Lantern, Green Arrow and even to a lesser extent Iron Patriot will be difficult to come by. They aren't some variation for the completist but key characters in the DC/Marvel Universe.

I am hoping that with the Flash coming (and looking as he did in the Lego Batman movie) we will finally see Green Lantern in a set as opposed to his previous Comic Con only rendition.

• Like 1

It really wouldn't bother me if it were just a variation. Things like the "I love NY" Yoda I have no qualms with because you can get a hold of a Yoda easy enough.

Right now though, I am not impressed with how Lego are distributing their minifigs (extending through to video games as well). Key characters like Green Lantern, Green Arrow and even to a lesser extent Iron Patriot will be difficult to come by. They aren't some variation for the completist but key characters in the DC/Marvel Universe.

I am hoping that with the Flash coming (and looking as he did in the Lego Batman movie) we will finally see Green Lantern in a set as opposed to his previous Comic Con only rendition.

I agree. Alternate versions are one thing but because of limited stunts like this, we shall never see a Hal Jordan Green Lantern or Bizarro minifigure in any regular set just because of these exclusive giveaways. At least the Elrond promo was only a variant and we still thankfully get a different version of him with The Council of Elrond set and anybody can pick that up easily leaving no one feeling left out.

I don't mind exclusive variants like that "New York I Love" Yoda but completely exclusive characters like Mr. Gold blows.

Course that is what makes them investment winners in the end (and a collective pain in mine).

Exactly how I feel. I love the fact that people can pick up items unique to those conventions. Things like the small sets, or cube dudes, whatever. I just feel that Lego is ostracizing the exact demographic they are trying to cater for with these promotions using key characters as opposed to variations.

BTW, the "comic book" Spiderman looks seriously awesome.

BTW, the "comic book" Spiderman looks seriously awesome.

Glad I'm not the only person that liked it. :D

Seeing how this limited Green Arrow is, there still is a chance later down the road where we may get a more classic version which would be great in my opinion. Unfortunately, Lego captured the original Spider-Woman so well this time, I doubt we shall ever see her again in the future unless they did one of her later costumes in which case would be better than nothing. I'm a little sore from not being able to hold the Phoenix minifigure. Then again, we could see the Dark Phoenix alternate! That saga was epic.

I am not adverse to any kind of LEGO exclusive. If you are a collector, than try to get what you can. If you are not, then don't worry about it. Just because a character is "key" does not mean LEGO has to validate the general publics wants. Also, LEGO exlcusives are huge for the company. While they do not profit from the secondary sales of such items, they get a massive amount of media/advertising exposure from them.