Flick Picks & TV Clicks

Guest eightbrick

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Anyone watching The Orville?

I'm not a fan of Seth MacFarlane.  Not that I dislike him, just not a fan.  But I'm really enjoying this series so far.

Yup. Been watching. It sort of has a STTNG feel to it IMO. But it's kind of hokey. If it's too serious it feels corny yet it shouldn't be a laughfest either. We'll see where this goes I suppose.

10 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Anyone watch Discovery?  Thoughts?

Based on the first 2 episodes, if you are hardcore TOS / TNG fan, you are probably better off watching The Orville ;)

TBH, the first 2 episodes look more like a prologue / prequel of the actual show, we did not even see the Discovery except for on the opening title.  So it is hard to judge the feel of the show based on these 2 episodes. 

The Good: SFX is superb.  To me, the graphics are movie grade quality.  The spaceships look "real" with a lot of details.  The space battle scenes looked dynamic.  Let's face it, the Orville spaceship looks like lower budget CGI, even in comparison to older shows like DS9 or Voy.  Discovery SFX is more inline with the new ST movies

I like the chemistry between Michelle Yeoh character / captain, 1st officer and the orange alien science officer.  The other bridge officers were not flashed out (for obvious reasons)
I would actually watch a show about USS Shenzhou leading up to this pilot episodes.  There was a scene about the first encounter between captain and 1st officer.  I would like to see how 1st officer got from that point to the pilot.

The Worst: the writing sucks or maybe it was dumbed down for the general public.  There were a few instances when I thought "why the heck did they do that??" or "Doh, isn't that obvious??".  
The actors were doing their best with whatever they were given.

The Neutral: I came it with very little expectation so I was not disappointed by the show.  I can see the showrunners' intend even though there were flaws in the executions.  I think the show is going to a darker ST universe, which has been done much better (IMHO) in DS9.

I think the 2 episodes could be a great opening for generic scifi show, I do not think it was ST.  I have similar opinion about the new ST movies.  There is a chance the tone of the series will change in the next episodes, but woldn't that be dishonest to newer viewers who got hooked by the pilot? 

• Like 1