Flick Picks & TV Clicks

Guest eightbrick

Amazon Prime subscribers can access boatload of HBO shows starting today.  Most of them are older shows, great for re-watch or to finally watch the whole series for cheap.   I may need to re-watch Rome.  I could not believe it was first aired in 2005

Sorry, no Games of Thrones episodes

Amazon Prime subscribers can access boatload of HBO shows starting today.  Most of them are older shows, great for re-watch or to finally watch the whole series for cheap.   I may need to re-watch Rome.  I could not believe it was first aired in 2005

Sorry, no Games of Thrones episodes

"Rome" was so awesome, highly recommended.  I might also start watching "The Wire", which I hear is great.  I started "Six Feet Under" years ago and only got barely into season 2. I might start it again as well.

Sad, tonight was another finale of "Survivor".  My wife and I have watched all 28 seasons.  It's hard to believe it's been on this long.

"Rome" was so awesome, highly recommended.  I might also start watching "The Wire", which I hear is great.  I started "Six Feet Under" years ago and only got barely into season 2. I might start it again as well.

I have all five seasons of Six Feet Under and highly recommend it. Also unlike so many series that never get an official closure this one did so at least it isn't like you watch the whole thing to the end and go "....That's how it ended?! AH CRAP!!!!"

Sad, tonight was another finale of "Survivor".  My wife and I have watched all 28 seasons.  It's hard to believe it's been on this long.

On one hand I can't believe it survived this long but then on the other I'm not surprised.
  • Like 1

Looked like someone did not get the license for Dr. Strange ? ;)

Ha. That was one reason I enjoyed the movie aside from Re-Animator's Jeffrey Combs.

I have been catching up on Deadwood on Amazon Prime. Damn good show.  Too many "c**k sucker" uttered for my taste though..

I honestly barely could get past a single episode due to the insane amount of cussing. Too bad though because there are a lot of big players in it.

22 pages is a long thread, I'll get to it sometime, but I just wanted to pop in to see if anyone's watchin' anime...and to my partial surprise, I'm only seeing a few mentions, and of older 20th century anime!

ok bored again with tv.  looking for some obscure anime (as seen a lot) with great story.  calling out TOK but any suggestions welcome

So if brickcrazyhouse is still looking (and perhaps TheOrcKing and others too), here's two big recent animes I know are good that I've seen, with the story intros taken from MyAnimeList. I'll put up others another time, bch, the latter probably doesn't fit your criteria exactly, but still, take a look:

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood

09-fullmetalalchemist.jpg

Undeniably one of the best and a great, balanced story. The pacing is great, few fillers, great plot (albeit gritty, but the balance of humor and other sections is great). Just want to mention that FMA:B is better than FMA, because the original got a little wonky and wasn't as well set up.

In this world there exist alchemists, people who study and perform the art of alchemical transmutation

Oh no, you went and mentioned the alchemist. Get ready for Darth Raichu to come here going over in great detail with how awesome it is! post-2081-0-37556600-1369945607.gif

Panty and Stocking as reference by TOK earlier, which I've heard is best described as NSFW Powerpuff girls on steroids), but because of that it makes it enjoyable to watch.

Damn right! :D
  • Like 1

You have absolutely no idea how long I have been searching high & low for this stop motion clay animated short from ages ago. Considering it was made back in 1984, the video definitely has seen better days but what can you do? I found this one in a tad higher resolution however the brightness is higher than it should be so the picture appears bleached out or as if bad lighting was used therefore the one embedded is better all around I guess.

Sundae in New York

Thankfully from the clip above I found a couple classic claymation goodies like this next one from 1975 animated by Will Vinton and Bob Gardiner.

Closed Mondays

Another Will Vinton short this time animated by Barry Bruce in 1982.

The Great Cognito

One last clip from way back to 1975 that unfortunately I really can't find a better uploaded version but it is mostly musical anyway.

Mountain Music

22 pages is a long thread, I'll get to it sometime, but I just wanted to pop in to see if anyone's watchin' anime...and to my partial surprise, I'm only seeing a few mentions, and of older 20th century anime!

So if brickcrazyhouse is still looking (and perhaps TheOrcKing and others too), here's two big recent animes I know are good that I've seen, with the story intros taken from MyAnimeList. I'll put up others another time, bch, the latter probably doesn't fit your criteria exactly, but still, take a look:

09-fullmetalalchemist.jpg

Undeniably one of the best and a great, balanced story. The pacing is great, few fillers, great plot (albeit gritty, but the balance of humor and other sections is great). Just want to mention that FMA:B is better than FMA, because the original got a little wonky and wasn't as well set up.

In this world there exist alchemists, people who study and perform the art of alchemical transmutation

Every once in a while the internet actually helps one to find that certain something you have been looking for in a long time. Like earlier with those classic 'claymation' shorts, I found another bit of nostalgia from my childhood. It is a rather well animated feature produced and written by Paul McCartney. I believe there were a couple other tales for Rupert but this was the one I remember seeing. It is lengthy running at roughly fourteen minutes to give a fair warning.

Rupert & The Frog Song

I've always preferred this one.

Ah yes, the classic "The Dark Side of the Moon" to "The Wizard of Oz" legend. I will admit some parts in the film do seem to fit well with the album but for a band to create 43 minutes of music that somehow was bizarrely made from inspiration to the film is one tough store bought cookie to swallow. I'm trying to recall but didn't VHS tapes come out later in the mid to late 70s and later still for home releases?

Well anyway, it's funny how much 'Pink Floyd fever' seems to be going around lately. Speaking of which....

psychadelicsideofthemoon.png

All this Ghostbuster talk between the sets and sometimes movies led me to the original promo episode for the animated series of The Real Ghostbusters. This was the one they showed to the executives to get the greenlight for the TV series so the general public never saw it. You can see a lot of changes occured before the actual series was syndicated such as Peter Venkman's likeness, their suits, and the firehouse.