What Lego set did you buy today?

1 hour ago, terrymc4677 said:

I only grabbed 4 for now. I have a feeling target or Amazon will have them on sale at the same price or maybe a little better down the road.

i felt the same way about YS barnes noble sale  after i spent all my cash on the retired architecture.  probably for the best anyway to wait to buy yellow submarine.   i will snag some during double vip holiday promo time.  i am doubting that YS  has a production life under 18 months so i am guessing there is some time left.  better to focus the cash on the retired sets. the bn sale was particularly satisfying because you were buying some of the best performing retired 2016 sets at 32.5% discount to msrp that were already selling significantly above the buyin.  it seemed like they must have found another truck full of trevi fountains because these were at every bn i visited in abundance (3 stores in Western MA and Enfield CT) and without the spider-antitheft device.  I was able to snag 12 Trevi between 4 stores. one store (Pittsfield MA) had 8 :)  .  

Edited by cladner
  • Like 5

8 minutes ago, cladner said:

i felt the same way about YS barnes noble sale  after i spent all my cash on the retired architecture.  probably for the best anyway to wait to buy yellow submarine.   i will wait to snag some during double vip holiday promo time.  i am doubting that YS  has a production life under 18 months so i am guessing there is some time left.  better to focus the cash on the retired sets. the bn sale was particularly satisfying because you were buying some of the best performing retired 2016 sets at 32.5% discount to msrp that were already selling significantly above the buyin.  it seemed like they must have found another truck full of trevi fountains because these were at every bn i visited in abundance (Western MA and Enfield CT) and without the spider-antitheft device.

I'm not real high on Trevi, growth has been stagnant (I know it's early).  You'll be able to get YS on sale and also with coupons at TRU, etc.

• Like 2

1x Friends Livi's Pop Star house $38 (after 25% off at B&N

1x JW Raptor Rampage $38 (after 25% off at B&N

1x US Capital Building $75 (after 25% off at B&N

I probably should have bought the Louvre instead but the US Capital Building just looks so great. I passed on 2x JW TRex sets. I'll probably regret it in the future but at the moment my bank account is glad that I resisted. 

Target 1x Clearanced Elves Fire Dragon Lava Cave $20 (I've taken a late interest in the Elves sets.. .hopefully the same will apply to others... ensuring demand for the sets). Not sure if I'll keep it or gift it to one of my nieces if they take interest in it. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I'm not real high on Trevi, growth has been stagnant (I know it's early).  You'll be able to get YS on sale and also with coupons at TRU, etc.

I feel the same way.  It's become evident in the architecture theme that unless the set has a short shelf life like Sungnyemun that most sets not based on US landmarks dont rise as fast here in the states.  If they are more obscure, then it takes a lot longer to appreciate.  Last years Brandenburg Gate, LTOP, and the Villa Sovoye are pretty much RRP after fees right now or just the typical "thanks for the 5.00".  I can see sets like the Eiffel Tower do well, but i'd be hesitant on hoarding a lot of Louvre, Burj Khalifa, Venice, or Berlins (all of which should retire next year).  I could have bought about 6 Trevi, but I only grabbed one and the reason is i'm sitting on quite a lot of VS's, Brandenburg Gates, UN and LTOPs that I dont want to get stuck with another turkey.

Basically, it seems Chicago sets are money (Farsworth house, sears tower, JH Center = $$$)  New York sets do very well.  DC sets seem to have some legs too.  And of course any set designed by FLW has shown promise.  I think the US Capitol set will be a great one to have when it retires...  But anymore, I think the Eiffel Tower and the US Capitol Building are the two sets that i'd eye to stock up.  The rest, i'd buy light.

• Like 6

Was out of town today so I hit up 2 B&N's. Unfortunately I stupidly put back 2 Villa Savoye and after putting the bags in the truck went back in to get them and they were gone.. Left lots of the City sets. I did leave about 10 other YS. They're at the Warwick, RI B&N if anyone wants them. Sale ends at closing. There are plenty of Friends sets as well.

BN.jpg

Edited by MarleyMoose
  • Like 5

And now for something NOT Barnes & Noble related. I went to the nearest LEGO Store and snagged the following:

853651 Gotham Police Pack x 2
40237 Easter Egg Hunt Vignette
41587 Robin Brickheadz
41592 The Hulk Brickheadz
41595 Belle Brickheadz
41596 Beast Brickheadz
30607 Disco Batman & Tears of Batman Polybag Promo

I find that having no car tends to limit your buying and driving options.  Besides, you can only afford so much uBer and Lyft costs.

Kudos to all of you lot who snagged the B&N discounts on the Architecture sets. Future discounts always in the future!

• Like 7

3 hours ago, exciter1 said:

I'm not real high on Trevi, growth has been stagnant (I know it's early). 

lowest price on amazon for Trevi is $68.91 and a favorable seller count of 56.  with a barnes & noble buyin of $42 , you're up 61% from buyin .  slightly worse than the tumbler and beating red 5.  granted that's a little bit apples to oranges.

granted at this recent discount it needs to get to $100+  before its worth selling.  clearly there is still stock out there at bn so until that sells out the price will take a while to get to $100.  

i am comfortable loading up on retired sets on discount like Trevi Fountain or Flatiron Building which have virtually no chance of a remake and are targeted square at AFOL.  24 months from now i will look back fondly on this weekend.

Edited by cladner
  • Like 2

lowest price on amazon for Trevi is $68.91 and a favorable seller count of 56.  with a barnes & noble buyin of $42 , you're up 61% from buyin .  slightly worse than the tumbler and beating red 5.

granted at this recent discount it needs to get to $100+  before its worth selling.  clearly there is still stock out there at bn so until that sells out the price will take a while to get to $100.  

i am comfortable loading up on retired sets on discount like Trevi Fountain or Flatiron Building which have virtually no chance of a remake and are targeted square at AFOL.  24 months from now i will look back fondly on this weekend.

We'll see! It gives me the Brandenburg shakes. I have my fill.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

We'll see! It gives me the Brandenburg shakes. I have my fill.

lol - the word that strikes fear in the heart of any architecture investor.  yeah - this set gives me a little pause.  still, once the seller count gets down into the 20s, the price will rise.  luckily i only have a few of these.  

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, joneyyy1981 said:

Nothing major, picked up 4x general grievous in Tesco for £7.50 each.

Good move. Nothing major? It's only the best figure in the entire theme! Did you ask if they had more and call other branches for you? ;-)

Good move. Nothing major? It's only the best figure in the entire theme! Did you ask if they had more and call other branches for you? ;-)

No I was scared they would take the 4 off me and say it was a mistake? It had £22 on the shelf but when I scanned it it said £7:50. So I ran back I cleared the shelf
  • Like 1