10234 - Sydney Opera House

Etan

6 minutes ago, ChristopherJB said:

This one surely can't retire before the tower bridge, can it?

It WILL retire before Tower Bridge. It already has the "retiring soon" tag. I think December or January. TB will spend its days in co-existence with Big Ben for at least one year. 

32 minutes ago, Foxhound said:

It WILL retire before Tower Bridge. It already has the "retiring soon" tag. I think December or January. TB will spend its days in co-existence with Big Ben for at least one year. 

What if TB doesn´t need the tag as it sells better and it goes quietly? I don´t know what overlap they want to have with both sets but we have seen with the ectos 6 months and GBHQ and ecto almost a year.

I don't see Lego retiring TB in anytime soon. It is only smart marketing tactics to cross-sell both TB and Big Ben. You buy one, you will want the other and will hunt down a London Bus to go with it ;) 

Oh wait, Lego will probably mass produce the London Bus and sell it as a regular set next year.

Edited by tacsniper

1 hour ago, Val-E said:

What if TB doesn´t need the tag as it sells better and it goes quietly? I don´t know what overlap they want to have with both sets but we have seen with the ectos 6 months and GBHQ and ecto almost a year.

It could happen, but it's very unlikely. TB received a new box and SOH didn't. I know, that a new doesn't necessarily mean an extended life time of at least 2 years, but why should a company spend money on a new box, if they didn't plan to sell it for let's say a year? Speculations over speculations :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ChristopherJB said:

If this thing does retire, it will quietly skyrocket and blow pass the SSD in a matter of a year EOL. SOH did not last that long. It felt like it just came out.

IMO this set is going to be a very, very slow climber. The landmark theme is not very collectible anymore after they decided to keep producing TB indefinitely. SOH is definitely the weakest in the entire theme. For me the poorest set in a weak theme does not inspire much confidence. I am expecting it to sit near RRP after fees/shipping/fraud for at least a few years. I hope you are right buy honestly I just don't see it at all. If TLG had kept to the 2 year life cycle of the previous landmark sets I believe TB would be doing very well (SSD well) and SOH would have had a chance just because collectors would have wanted them all. As it stands SOH is a set many collectors would pass on and now that there is no real motivation to collect all of the landmark sets I just don't see the market for it at a premium.

• Like 3

I don't agree that this one is going to take off quickly. I had seven stashed for investment when I finally got around to building my copy and afterward I decided not to invest in any more. Even when it went on sale recently I couldn't pull the trigger and average down. I just wasn't that impressed with it.

The building itself is iconic enough that I'm sure there will be a market after it retires, but I don't think the set is impressive enough to have people talking about it for years to come and making others want it. In other words I think future AFOLs will need to do some looking around just to realize this set ever existed which is going to limit the audience.

In five years I can see this making nice gains. But in one? I don't that with this set.

Guest TabbyBoy
8 minutes ago, Ciglione said:

Exactly... Also bear in mind that the first Landscape set 'Taj Mahal' became too expensive for most people to buy. So collecting them all is limited to a few. I guess with this theme it comes to the fact if a set is liked. TB is nice. SOH not so much. 

Exactly... That's why I don't have any SOH ;-)

I agree that this set will be a slow climber. Many cons:

- very bad design (it doesnt represent the real building well, it is not curved as in reality)

- slow seller (otherwise they wouldnt not retired it before the older TB!)

- landmark is not so strong collector´s serie, as SW or modulars. Its occasional theme, and there is not so strong pressure to have all + its very expensive to collect all of them.

Guest TabbyBoy

It's the abortion they made of the roof that put me off buying one. I've been to Sydney and this highly inaccurate model is quite an insult to the city TBH. The real thing wasn't corrugated when I last looked this time last year. If this set does well (I hope is does for those that succumbed), then there's really high hopes for Tabby Bridge Tower Boy Tower Bridge.

5 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

Not that investigating should be based on the Lego designers but Jamie Berard's sets have done well (on avg).

It means nothing. He has great models (tower bridge, sopwith camel, trains, modulars), but some are not - and sydney opera is his worst piece. I dont like also the Assembly square...

1 hour ago, lego rules said:

All the hate on this set makes me think I should get a few more.

We shall see. I know a lot of lovers of the SOH. I would take the comments about the SOH with a grain of salt. I thought the Sea Cow was some dumb pirate ship. I still bought 30 of those and unloaded them all at hefty profits. It's not what we think that matters, it's what others think. Go tell that to the Asians and Australians that the SOH is a terrible set. 9 out of 10 will disagree with the horde here.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...