10234 - Sydney Opera House

Etan

I have none. I really don't want to pay msrp for this. I hope I have more time. But I have a feeling it's leaving too.

I felt the same, but one of our mega e-retailers had a 2 hour sale @ -30% (lower than wholesale) so I got two for $189 each.

I've seen in all those impressive stock room pics that people have shelves full of TB's, but no SOH's.

• 3 weeks later...

It is fair to say in hind-sight that this was never going to be a high volume seller. As the comments previous make reference to the size of the box and the cost, it is not a set either everyone wants or can afford. It could be called the last of the large landmark sets as the Architecture series seems to be the way to go with new structures.

In as far as future earnings from having this tucked away for later on, the best you can hope for would be for it to pay for it's own cost, to invest in this set for potential profit earnings does not seem to be warranted.

The question is more about who do you see in the future as a potential buyer of one of these sets.

I am not knocking the idea of purchasing sets for investment purposes but the question needs to be asked about what sets will attract a buyer later on. If interest somehow increases in the Sydney Opera House, there may be a market for it. The Eiffel Tower and the Taj Mahal in my view will have a better investment return than this set. 

10 minutes ago, OzGadget said:

The question is more about who do you see in the future as a potential buyer of one of these sets.

I am not knocking the idea of purchasing sets for investment purposes but the question needs to be asked about what sets will attract a buyer later on. If interest somehow increases in the Sydney Opera House, there may be a market for it. The Eiffel Tower and the Taj Mahal in my view will already have a better investment return than this set. 

Fixed

• Like 1

I am not knocking the idea of purchasing sets for investment purposes but the question needs to be asked about what sets will attract a buyer later on. If interest somehow increases in the Sydney Opera House, there may be a market for it. The Eiffel Tower and the Taj Mahal in my view will have a better investment return than this set. 

Any AFOL that hasn't had a chance to buy it at retail.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OzGadget said:

People like me.

I'm a big fan of the large Lego landmark sets (could care less about the architecture sets, or even Star Wars UCS sets honestly) and I was still in the dark when the Taj was around. I haven't bought one yet, but I assure you at some point I will even if it's costs me a couple grand. The way I look at it, down the road there will continue to be AFOLs just like me waking up and I'm certain some will be interested in SoH. I know if it was already retired after I came out of my dark ages I would want it. Same with TB.

13 minutes ago, gbg108 said:

People like me.

I'm a big fan of the large Lego landmark sets (could care less about the architecture sets, or even Star Wars UCS sets honestly) and I was still in the dark when the Taj was around. I haven't bought one yet, but I assure you at some point I will even if it's costs me a couple grand. The way I look at it, down the road there will continue to be AFOLs just like me waking up and I'm certain some will be interested in SoH. I know if it was already retired after I came out of my dark ages I would want it. Same with TB.

Apologies if my comments are not conveying my thoughts with desired outcome.

I agree that there will always be a market for the large sets, the obscure sets and almost every set there is that Lego makes. I am not questioning your purchase of the set as such.

The point I was trying to put across is a case of the following; is there a better purchase that could be made with a view of making a greater return than the Sydney Opera House? I do agree with you that there will be AFOLs who will want it when you can't get it from the stores. If you have the money and the room to store it, I would agree you will make your money back and possibly a profit, when the tipping point will be, only time will tell. That was why I made reference to the Eiffel Tower and the Taj Mahal as being more profitable sets due to the universal appeal of the structures.

52 minutes ago, OzGadget said:

Apologies if my comments are not conveying my thoughts with desired outcome.

I agree that there will always be a market for the large sets, the obscure sets and almost every set there is that Lego makes. I am not questioning your purchase of the set as such.

The point I was trying to put across is a case of the following; is there a better purchase that could be made with a view of making a greater return than the Sydney Opera House? I do agree with you that there will be AFOLs who will want it when you can't get it from the stores. If you have the money and the room to store it, I would agree you will make your money back and possibly a profit, when the tipping point will be, only time will tell. That was why I made reference to the Eiffel Tower and the Taj Mahal as being more profitable sets due to the universal appeal of the structures.

Dollar for dollar and factoring in storage space, yeah, I'd agree there will almost definitely be better investments than this. But I think this will do OK.

Personally, I think most large landmark sets will see similar rates of demand post-retirement, meaning I think SoH has just as much appeal as ET and Taj. The question that remains to be answered is what will the post-retirement supply look like for SoH now that there are many more Lego re-sellers? I'm assuming there are significantly more SoH's stockpiled for resale than there were either of the other sets and that's and what I see limiting its growth. Time will tell.

On 11/16/2015, 10:08:23, BrickLegacy said:

Item under review at Amazon.  It should be interesting to see how long this lasts and how high the 3rd party price goes up as we approach the holiday selling season.  Shop at Home has them but nobody without a reseller badge buys from there anyways, right?

Temp out of stock on Shop at Home US this morning... Beginning of the end? Maybe? Maybe?

On 11/16/2015, 10:08:23, BrickLegacy said: Item under review at Amazon.  It should be interesting to see how long this lasts and how high the 3rd party price goes up as we approach the holiday selling season.  Shop at Home has them but nobody without a reseller badge buys from there anyways, right?

Temp out of stock on Shop at Home US this morning... Beginning of the end? Maybe? Maybe?

Or designing a new box :-P

• Like 2

They have to retire one of these giant things. There is only so much shelf space and consumer disposable income. Considering everything pretty much got a new box except for this one I am voting this one. That is until the horde starts sniffing around, then all bets are off.

7 minutes ago, dcdfan said:

Every Lego is going to retire. Even one day DS...

Lies. The DS is immortal. It's like the highlander except there are thousands and thousands of them instead of "only one".