10234 - Sydney Opera House

Etan

It will be fun to see to if the $650 I just spent on two R2s would have performed better if invested in two SOH.  I'll have to check back in 6 and 12 months to see how these are progressing.

​I doubt SOH will ever perform better than R2-D2 since it's not really as iconic as the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower, or Taj Mahal.

I will look into buying these when they turn 2 years old. What's going on? Look, I get TH through everyone for a loop but every set is NOT TH and TOOS is NOT EOL. This is getting old. It's a self fullfilling prophecy at this point. Something goes TOOS for normal production reasons, and the herd jumps on it cause it is a sure sign of EOL. Doesn't matter if the set has been out 2 years or 2 months. People are seriously asking if Slave 1 is EOL??? Are you f-ing kidding me?? So they start hoarding and buying up all the stock everywhere which causes further shortages. Which is used as further proof of empending EOL.

Own

Worst

Enemy

PS, I apoloigize for my mispelling but the new site updates have broken Firefox's spellchecker.

• Like 2

​I doubt SOH will ever perform better than R2-D2 since it's not really as iconic as the Statue of Liberty, Eiffel Tower, or Taj Mahal.

​hahahahahahahahaha. I don't want to offend you but if you're going to make comments like that you've got to expect to get flamed. The Sydney Opera House IS as iconic to Australia as the Taj Mahal is to India and Statue of Liberty is to America. Think Australia and apart from crocodile wrestling sheilas smoking shrimp on the barbie probably the first thing that springs to mind is the Opera House. Landmark sets are timeless and will always be in demand. Plus if the SSD has taught us anything it's that a sets price does nothing to slow down it's growth. There will be people who will avoid this set because it's considered too expensive and ones that don't like it because it's a 'boring build', I personally think neither of these will matter when it comes to retirement time because this is a sleeping giant and is destined to be a big winner.

• Like 1

​hahahahahahahahaha. I don't want to offend you but if you're going to make comments like that you've got to expect to get flamed. The Sydney Opera House IS as iconic to Australia as the Taj Mahal is to India and Statue of Liberty is to America. Think Australia and apart from crocodile wrestling sheilas smoking shrimp on the barbie probably the first thing that springs to mind is the Opera House. Landmark sets are timeless and will always be in demand. Plus if the SSD has taught us anything it's that a sets price does nothing to slow down it's growth. There will be people who will avoid this set because it's considered too expensive and ones that don't like it because it's a 'boring build', I personally think neither of these will matter when it comes to retirement time because this is a sleeping giant and is destined to be a big winner.

​Right...If this set disappears quickly and in the near future, this set can truly explode in growth.  Iconic in real life means very little in aftermarket LEGO values in some cases.  Either way, the SOH is iconic enough for an American like myself.  

This is currently available @ LEGO, Amazon, Walmart, Target & ToysRUs. This is not sold out anywhere at the moment...

The EOL hub-bub wasn't that it was unavailable or sold out - it was that it suddenly became listed as the best selling LEGO at target.com - a limited barometer by any measure but still one which is usually dominated by SW, Tumbler, Minecraft, Anna Elsa.  

To me, that observation suggests someone out there is placing a large bet on SOH and one wouldn't do that without some insider knowledge that the set is going soon .  

This set will appreciate rapidly in value because no one is going to sell it for under $450 - fees and shipping alone are going to eat up $80.  

If it goes before TB, look out.

​you forgot foster's, and "...that's not a knoife, THAT's a knoife..."

The EOL hub-bub wasn't that it was unavailable or sold out - it was that it suddenly became listed as the best selling LEGO at target.com - a limited barometer by any measure but still one which is usually dominated by SW, Tumbler, Minecraft, Anna Elsa.  

To me, that observation suggests someone out there is placing a large bet on SOH and one wouldn't do that without some insider knowledge that the set is going soon .  

This set will appreciate rapidly in value because no one is going to sell it for under $450 - fees and shipping alone are going to eat up $80.  

​From your post in yesterday's DD thread "EOL insider information?"

& 33Lego said "TRU also just sold out SOH"

I'm not looking to argue, I'm trying to update the appropriate threads. :)

Edited by dcdfan
  • Like 1

​Yes...Excellent points.  It made me take notice and I am looking out!

A NISB one sold on Ebay Spain for 199 euros plus (reasonable) shipping - pretty poor residuals in my book. This might be one of those sets that Europeans don´t take to and which light up elsewhere but as an investment here, it is taking a huge punt.

A NISB one sold on Ebay Spain for 199 euros plus (reasonable) shipping - pretty poor residuals in my book. This might be one of those sets that Europeans don´t take to and which light up elsewhere but as an investment here, it is taking a huge punt.

​I just noticed it's priced €20 less at Ireland/France LEGO Shop at Home and only €280 at Germany/Italy LEGO Shop at Home. Spain is €320 for some reason.

This set is huge and it's an iconic building. If there's a similar set that hasn't made money, I haven't heard of it. Scarcity on the secondary market will be this set's biggest plus IMHO.

Edited by tractorboy
  • Like 1

Stolen goods, stolen credit card, distributor discount, competition win, unwanted gift, loss leader to get web traffic, money laundering. Take your pick!

It´s curious that some sets seem to have much more solid residuals - never seen TB or ToO sold on the cheap but plenty of SOH, EV and those you mention

Stolen goods, stolen credit card, distributor discount, competition win, unwanted gift, loss leader to get web traffic, money laundering. Take your pick!

It´s curious that some sets seem to have much more solid residuals - never seen TB or ToO sold on the cheap but plenty of SOH, EV and those you mention

​Some how they found them in the streets just sitting there. $20,000 worth of them.

​I can only see one sold at less than RRP on ebay EU, and a couple went for less in auctions, which is to be expected. Maybe they just wanted to free up some cash. The BIN seller had listed it at RRP initially, then reduced the price. (Italian seller, 31st March).

I see one German seller on there now selling two at €300 shipped. The rest are RRP+shipping or higher.

Edited by tractorboy

I believe that those sellers who don´t sell abroad don´t appear in the stats unless they are from your country. I can see 8 since March that have sold for 280 or less.

Simpsons´ house is another fan´s favourite for such clearance offers.

Another reason to stay away from these sets because when these  folk are undercutting Amazon and have them in seemingly endless quantities, any set they have that is not a mega hit like 7965 is going to require a long long long term hoard.

• 5 weeks later...

If it goes this year, I think it will be a great investment no matter where you are. I remember someone arguing at this forum saying that TH won't be popular and appreciating worse due to it's unpopularity, even when EOL was suddenly. I'm not that long in Lego investment, but I think there is one rule that applies to big iconic Lego sets that are part of a line (modular, world iconic buildings): No matter how ugly and unpopular, when it is scarce and rare people just want to have it and willing to buy it at good prices.  

When SOH goes suddenly, you can't have enough of these sets stocked. I will do just fine.

• Like 1