10234 - Sydney Opera House

Etan

She didn't nudge me this morning to wake me up.  That's why I'm disappointed as she wasn't there.  Just as well my GF doesn't read this ;-)

Seriously, I'm not a fan of 10234 as more effort could've been made to make the roof less "corrugated" and unrealistic.  Not a patch on the TB IMHO.

Yeah... she couldn't come cause she nudged me this morning to wake me up. She said you hurt her feelings cause you did not like the Sidney Opera House.

• 1 month later...

After the early VIP event at LEGO Shop at Home yesterday, AA and HE are sold out in EU LEGO Shop at Home. Like the SSD, HH, TH, GE, R2 and SC(USA). What do you think about the SOH will it go this year, will it go before the TB? It was as well as the EEE included in the 15% discount.

Edited by bluebeatz

This thing can turn into gold when it goes EOL within a year. It is skipped by much investors; the high ppp ratio makes it not popular set.

You don't want to miss out when it suddenly disappears.. but that's just my opinion. 

I agree to what you say... but I just cannot get myself buying it. Even when it was on a nice sale a couple of months ago. If I would find it at below 200 euro I might consider it. The TB is just more sexy.

I agree to what you say... but I just cannot get myself buying it. Even when it was on a nice sale a couple of months ago. If I would find it at below 200 euro I might consider it. The TB is just more sexy.

Exactly. Sydney opera is extremly overpriced set. It has 2989 pieces for 280 eur (0,09 eur / 1 piece). Another set from landmark serie - TB - has 4287 pieces for 220 eur (0,05 eur / 1 piece) !!!!. It is an ultra difference, without logical reason - Sydney is non-licenced set without figs, real price is under 200 eur. Plus Tower bridge is much better created - personally I dont like Sydney opera, the arc pieces are horrible and not real. They should decrease its price instead of giving the set into extremly quick EOL. Maybe it is the reason of discounting it yesterday. Maybe next year they will decrease its official price.

Exactly. Sydney opera is extremly overpriced set. It has 2989 pieces for 280 eur (0,09 eur / 1 piece). Another set from landmark serie - TB - has 4287 pieces for 220 eur (0,05 eur / 1 piece) !!!!. It is an ultra difference, without logical reason - Sydney is non-licenced set without figs, real price is under 200 eur. Plus Tower bridge is much better created - personally I dont like Sydney opera, the arc pieces are horrible and not real. They should decrease its price instead of giving the set into extremly quick EOL. Maybe it is the reason of discounting it yesterday. Maybe next year they will decrease its official price.

Well, to be fair a lot of those 4287 pieces in the Tower Bridge are the 1x1 sloped thingies. I bet that if you looked at price per gram the difference would be smaller. Still, I agree with you that the TB is better value for money.

I don't think Lego decreasing the standard price for a set has ever happened. If you find the set too expensive, keep your eyes open for a discount or pass on it altogether.

• Like 2

unless thing things happen to double or triple in price, i'm not interested. big box, not pretty, waste of my time. Seems like more a gamble for me then i'm willing to take.  I pick sets that even if they don't ever appreciate, I would be ok opening and building it.  This breaks that rule.

I like the disapproval for this set, coupled with the unexpected potential retirement means I'm making SOH a priority next weekend.

Yeah, I think this set may surprise a few people. I can see this being pretty scarce a year or so after EOL, and it is quite an impressive set.

Definitely worth a punt if you had the 20% yesterday.

• Like 1

Most of us accrued VIP points this weekend, as the discounts are set to return next weekend purchasing the Opera House with the discount and points will make this quite affordable. Everyone should be considering having one of these in their collection. Taj Mahal, Eiffel Tower, Grand Carousel are all sets that command high prices now, the rarity of this set if it retires now could put SOH in a similar bracket.

• Like 1

From intelligent psychology debate to kewl pics to (not) waking up beside Kylie Minogue, leave it to something Australian to be interesting and unpredictable...

...especially the investment potential of this set.

Price point is pretty much on target when comparing to other large sets, at about $26 a pound of LEGO bricks.  Prices of LEGO sets are based on the amount of ABS plastic used, not the amount of pieces.  Here are some quick figures...

• SSD: $26 per pound
  • Tower Bridge: $25 per pound
  • SOH: $26 per pound
  • 10188: $23 per pound(great bang for your buck for pieces and minifigures)
  • Sandcrawler: $30 per pound(not a great deal)

Food for thought:  If Lego did not put the piece count on the box, how many builders would actually count pieces AND use/share that information for deciding whether or not to make a purchase? How many would prioritize the basic size, building experience, intangible display value, uniqueness, and/or emotional attachment instead?

How many investors would follow suite, in either case?

To really stretch the concept, why aren't minifigs all basically the same price on the secondary market? They all have 3-6 pieces, for the most part.

Don't get lost in the wrong numbers, folks. I'm not saying ignore piece count entirely, but look at ppp counts like 7181, 7191, 10019, 10212... even 10226 or 10026, and tell me how much that "metric" really matters...

Personally I don't appreciate this set very much in terms of the box or display value either, but I know it is a good investment.

On to more pressing issues:  Will this thing actually surprise us more than TH with a mega-early retirement? Much like Red 5, it gets virtually no love and wouldn't surprise me either way.

As wise men have said once or twice, buy early...

From intelligent psychology debate to kewl pics to (not) waking up beside Kylie Minogue, leave it to something Australian to be interesting and unpredictable...

...especially the investment potential of this set.

Food for thought:  If Lego did not put the piece count on the box, how many builders would actually count pieces AND use/share that information for deciding whether or not to make a purchase? How many would prioritize the basic size, building experience, intangible display value, uniqueness, and/or emotional attachment instead?

How many investors would follow suite, in either case?

To really stretch the concept, why aren't minifigs all basically the same price on the secondary market? They all have 3-6 pieces, for the most part.

Don't get lost in the wrong numbers, folks. I'm not saying ignore piece count entirely, but look at ppp counts like 7181, 7191, 10019, 10212... even 10226 or 10026, and tell me how much that "metric" really matters...

Personally I don't appreciate this set very much in terms of the box or display value either, but I know it is a good investment.

On to more pressing issues:  Will this thing actually surprise us more than TH with a mega-early retirement? Much like Red 5, it gets virtually no love and wouldn't surprise me either way.

As wise men have said once or twice, buy early...

Stop making sense!   

On a serious note...It's all about the weight of the set.  Minifigures, unique features and bricks do add value, but the bottom line is the more weight, the more value at MSRP.  That's why the 10188 might be one of the best values right now to part out.  Large amount of pieces and minifigures for the money.  

That's why the 10188 might be one of the best values right now to part out.  Large amount of pieces and minifigures for the money.  

Great deal if you run short of grey bricks... (very unlikely)

The sand green bricks (HH) are less common so it can be considered a better deal... if you want to vary the sort of bricks you own.

PPP... Weight... Colors... Minifigs...

When you consider everything, you realize that most of the time the most expensive part is something a builder doesn't need: the licence. ^^

Edited by biniou

Guest TabbyBoy

I'd have loved the SOH if the roof was smoother and not so corrugated like the inaccurate model - I used to walk past the real thing when going between The Rocks and the Botanical Gardens and always admired it.  On the other hand, the TB couldn't have been made any better and this set represents far better value for me and London 2012 will have an impact on its future demand I think.  I've been buying TBs at -40% and may (just may) buy a SOH if it's ever discounted that much.  If Lego are getting shot of the SOH during the current cull, this worries me - are they in trouble?  However, I think we have time to judge TB's performance before the SOH goes EOL.

Just my perspective as a casual collector/investor. I think everyone needs at least 1-2 of this set in their collection.

For me it's a must have for my collection because I've been there in real-life and having this set is an awesome reminder of that vacation. Is it a good value? Maybe not. Is it a perfect recreation? No. Is it flying off the shelves? No. But I will say this. Just the mere mention from Ed yesterday to focus on the sale exclusives was enough to make me pull the trigger. I didn't want to get caught without one should this make an early, unexpected departure.

For my personal build, I will probably pick-one up used on Ebay. I don't think this set will approach anywhere near Taj Mahal or Eiffel Tower set values in the secondary market, but I don't think it's going to stay at MSRP or lose money either. Hopefully, at some point, the NISB set sells for enough to cover my expenses on both transactions. If it grows in value above that level, then it's a real win for me as a collector. I can appreciate how that isn't a great business position for those who do this for a living though.

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing like a good polarising of opinions!

Agreed that this set may not be hitting the sales figures expected by TLG.

Local stores in Melbourne (David Jones and Myer) have been heavily discounting this set in their pre xmas sales. DJ's had it listed at $319 (down from the Australian RRP of $399).  Although this price point still makes my eyes water compared to what I see in the States or Europe it was a pretty decent discount and their city store literally had at least 30 units on their floor so Im looking forwards to their sales after xmas.

Having at least one or two of these wont hurt anyone's folio assuming you can store it until EOL. I got my set for $300 so was pretty happy with 25% off

Yeah it's ugly (and Im an Australian) but it's iconic. I think this is a no brainer