10234 - Sydney Opera House

Etan

Guest TabbyBoy

This is stunning and looks to me to the best large-scale building to date.  I go to Sydney on business twice a year and I'm thinking of taking one of these (bought from Amazon Spain/Italy when prices drop) over in checked baggage (as a gift of course!) on every trip to keep at my Sydney office secure lock-up until they retire.  Since Lego is very expensive in Australia, this could be a real money-spinner as the Aussies will lap them up.  Talking about large-scale buildings, I'd love to see 10,000+ piece models of the London's Houses of Parliament, Windsor Castle, Barcelona's Sagrada Familia, Athens' Acropolis, Paris' Notre Dame Cathedral, etc, etc, etc.

Watched the video earlier today, this set is absolutely amazing.  If you don't like this set, just give up on Lego.  They did an excellent job in re-creating the while sail things which had to be very difficult.  This will definitely spell doom for Tower Bridge.  Even though the piece count is lower than I expected, you can easily tell that the set is massive when Jamie picks it up.  I'm amazed as well at how sturdy it is, many sets cannot say the same.  Ingenious how they made it modular like that.

As for price compared to Tower Bridge, it sounds like price has more to do with weight than piece count.  Much bigger pieces here than in TB, which had tons of little pieces in high counts.

• Like 1

I would love to see more large scale models as well - i mean, if lego went into a phase where they had al ot of large scale models, even at $1,000 i would still buy them all day long. just the challenge makes them worth it, not even counting the investing front of that. - and if they did make those, they might even be limited edition sets

Guest ph4tb0i

With the ways things are going with Lego, I'm wondering when they'll hit a tipping point where they have to open additional Lego stores for adults rather than children... It's obvious these large sets (e.***. Modulars, Iconic Vehicles, UCS, Large Scale Models, Trains, etc.) are hits with adults (hence the $$$ spent on them by adults) so I really wonder when they'll capitalize on this. 

Their brand is really shifting from a "kids toy" to "family entertainment" as the years go on. Whoever they hired in 2005+ (Jamie Berard comes in mind) have definitely helped them turn it around.

Watched the video earlier today, this set is absolutely amazing.  If you don't like this set, just give up on Lego.  They did an excellent job in re-creating the while sail things which had to be very difficult.  This will definitely spell doom for Tower Bridge.  Even though the piece count is lower than I expected, you can easily tell that the set is massive when Jamie picks it up.  I'm amazed as well at how sturdy it is, many sets cannot say the same.  Ingenious how they made it modular like that.

As for price compared to Tower Bridge, it sounds like price has more to do with weight than piece count.  Much bigger pieces here than in TB, which had tons of little pieces in high counts.

I completely agree and would have made some of the same points too. This version of the Sydney Opera House uses a lot of BIG pieces so it has to weigh a ton which translates to a higher retail. Another thing, yes the base is all one color and some are saying it's boring that way but that is how it looks like in real life. I honestly cannot imagine anyone designing a set on this beautifully amazing structure any better than this!

Sydney_opera_house_side_view.jpg

1_The_Opera_House_in_Sydney.jpg

Botanic_Gardens_approach_to_Sydney_Opera

Sydney_Opera_House_-_Dec_2008.jpg

This is the first time I can say that I have looked at any Lego set and see an instant mega winner in every conceivable way imaginable. I love this so much it hurts!

I love how Jaime looks like a kid on Christmas morning in this video.  Reminds me of this kid...

And those are the moments that make life worth living.

Sydney_Opera_House_-_Dec_2008.jpg

The night time photo you included in your comment is the look I'd be aiming for. I would be fitting an mp3 and speaker in there too for effect!!

I live in Sydney, Australia and I have been advised by the Sydney Opera House that they will be selling the set there.

It will be interesting to see what the RRP will be. Then again, it might be cheaper to go and get it from The Sydney Opera House, have a look around than buying from lego directly. I reckon a receipt from the SOH has to be worth something..

• 4 weeks later...

Happens all the time with highly anticipated sets, nothing new here.

You are correct about this happening all the time, I think that pre selling such items should not be allowed,where the seller does not have access to the said items as it is not released yet.